IGNORED

Traveling and your Clubs

DDBowdoin
Note: This thread is 5756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am no "world traveller" when it comes to golf, but I have travelled to Cancun, Miami, Utah to play. I have a soft travel case from Walmart and a Proline Griplok bag that I used. No damage occurred.

However, I would advise you to check with your homeowner's insurance and your credit card company (travel insurance is covered in many cases, like American Express) to see the reimbursement.

If you like your set, there is no use playing a rental.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

The rules for domestic travel are different from international. It's wise to carefully read the baggage policies of the airline you are using.

I took my clubs to Hawaii in April before they started all the extra fees, no problems, no extra charges. Now I am going up to Seattle in a couple of weeks, so I started thinking about if it was going to cost me extra to take my clubs. Here is what I found out:

Most airlines have a standard baggage limit of 50lbs and 62 inches. A set of clubs in a travel bag meets this criteria, no problem. BUT, others pointed out to me that the 62" is H+W+L (!!??). Now I start to worry.

I'm traveling on Alaska Airlines, so I check out the baggage rules. Sure enough, this 62" limit is what they call a linear measure of H+W+L.

Ok, I read further and see a note about special rules for sporting equipment. Click the link and find out golf clubs can be no more than 115 liner inches and less than 50 lbs. Still free if it is your first checked bag. Second bag fees will apply however. So I'll check my clubs and take clothes in a small carry-on.

I also read the fine print about liability. It seems the airline (Alaska in this case) covers a loss up to $3000.

So, flying with your clubs is still do-able at this time. Although each airline has different policies so it's important to check the carrier you are using.

I've locked up baggage handlers at JFK and Lga in the new York area, and I think golf clubs aren't the item of choice when it comes to stealing bags (carry on ALL jewelry!!!). I would be much more concerned with them breaking, although ive taken them to two continents and about 8 different airports in the last two years with no problems.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

thanks for all the replies guys...

I actually contacted my insurance company and for 80 bucks a year I opened a 4000 dollar policy on my bag

no deductible and includes full coverage for damage and theft

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Note: This thread is 5756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!