IGNORED

The worst article to have read on this site...

Tech
Note: This thread is 6686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

for me at least!
" Build your own 8' x 8' putting green... "
http://thesandtrap.com/archives/trai...en_cheaply.php

Now because of this, I've gone from wanting to imitate this design, to checking out numerous outdoor putting green ideas!

See it started out with wittek's site and I saw their "Fringe and Bunker" turf. So I thought, instead of PVC around the edge, make it 10'x10' and use a 1' border of Fringe. Then I can "chip" from the fringe, then I started browsing on google(very dangerous) for "putting green surfaces".

After seeing that you can use synthetic surfaces outdoors, I started looking up "backyard putting greens".

Now. I'm in a huge Mess and just got in touch with a co-worker that has their own bobcat!

(anyone know a good divorce lawyer? of course after this project, he'll have it'll have to be pro bono! )

Peter Valone
Home Course:Mill Creek

"The invisible opponent whose tangible form is the card and pencil; the toughest opponent of them all -- Old Man Par." Bobby Jones

Sounds to me like you're hooked... I warn people all the time. Stay away from golf because it can be your undoing. Never works.

Have fun and let us know what you came up with.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

you have a big back yard. some serious fringe around the putting surface.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be misleading...That was one of the pics I found while looking at different outdoor synthetic greens. I was really impressed at how real it looked.(not impressed by the price though

) ... I still haven't done it yet, my backyard is pretty small, 50'x50' or there's about. I'll just have a small 10'x10' green in the corner, i can chip onto and putt on. I'll try to incorporate a small decorative pond with some flowers,(aka, water hazard),to appease the mrs...

Peter Valone
Home Course:Mill Creek

"The invisible opponent whose tangible form is the card and pencil; the toughest opponent of them all -- Old Man Par." Bobby Jones

Oh man, that's good stuff. Good luck with all that!

Josh Premuda
www.thesandtrap.com

Driver Titleist 905T 8.5 degrees
Ping I2 3-wood 14 degreesTitleist 503.H hybrid 22 degreesTitleist DCI 962 3-9 6.5 Rifle shaftTitleist Vokey Oil Can wedges 48, 58 degreesScratch Golf 3x Black Wedge 54 degreesBig Oak Putter, T'ville 34"

Sounds like a great idea. I've look quite extensively at alot of the synthetic options as well. Same as you I was a bit taken back with the prices but I guess if you look long term there sure is alot less maintaince than the real thing. Now not to feed the obsession but be sure to check out ebay. You can find alot of the same products at a discounted price.

• 3 weeks later...

i want one

Driver: Taylormade R7 425, 9.5°
3-Wood: Taylormade R7 steel, 13.5°, Stiff
Irons: 3-5 Mizuno MP 30, 6-P Mizuno MP 32, Dynamic Gold Stiff
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 260.10, Cleveland Gun Metal 900 52
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio StainlessBall: Titleist Pro V1Bag: Mizuno AeroliteSocks: nikeGymb...

No divorce with my wife. I bought a putter for my 4 year old grandson last week and took him to our course with wife, youngest daughter and her friend. My wife plays golf which helps. Anyway, when she saw the excitement and fun that my grandson was having, she suggested that we check into getting one for our yard. After researching various company's, we agreed on a 40'x 25' area in our backyard. It will have 3' of fringe area, 12 holes and 2 bunkers, one at each end.
The bonus part is that since our grandson lives with us, it will get him out the house and in the yard where he can do less damage. He now wants to watch golf on tv instead of cartoons and when I go out to my workshop to work on clubs, he is there with me asking a zillion questions. Thanks for posting this as it just reminds me of how great a sport this is and how lucky I am to have a great family and especially a wife who loves golf too!

Mike

Titleist 915 D-2 9,5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist 915H 18*

Mizuno MP-4 3-PW

Mizuno MP 54* & 60*

Yes Pippi Putter

I have a perfect area, of course that Erik noted, just out of my basment french doors for a putting green. I'm seriously considering it long-term.

Every time I come into this thread, I'm reminded of it and have to stop thinking about it. Thanks Mike.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator
I have a perfect area, of course that Erik noted, just out of my basment french doors for a putting green. I'm seriously considering it long-term.

Frickin' build it already! You have to do these things

now , because in a little while (I'm trying to be vague here on purpose), things will change enough. In other words, if you don't do it now, it probably will never happen. P.S. Work with me and we can probably get you a nice discount if you want to write an article - or a short series of articles - about it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 6686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!