IGNORED

If YOU were Paul Azinger, what would you do?

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd probably go with something like this for wild card picks:

I sure wouldn't want Mahan after his comments this week.

'I don't want to play in the Ryder Cup because they give you too much food' - or somesuch. I ask you! Ever heard a lamer excuse than 'too many dinners'? He doesn't sound like the kind of motivated guy Azinger says he's looking for.

• Administrator
I ask you! Ever heard a lamer excuse than 'too many dinners'? He doesn't sound like the kind of motivated guy Azinger says he's looking for.

It matters. Tour players are creatures of habit. Drag them to endless dinners rather than let them focus, prepare, relax, etc. and you take them out of their element. Tournament preparation matters almost as much as their pre-shot routine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It matters. Tour players are creatures of habit. Drag them to endless dinners rather than let them focus, prepare, relax, etc. and you take them out of their element. Tournament preparation matters almost as much as their pre-shot routine.

You are right. Some players want to focus, especially when it is a BIG EVENT, and the Ryder Cup is that, especially since we are playing on "home soil" and have not won since 1999, and had to pull a Miracle Comeback to Sunday to accomplish that. We all know there is a lot of hoopla and PR done at the Ryder Cup, including media sessions, and dinners, and so forth. It is part of the event, and if Hunter Mahan does not want to participate, then that is a problem that Captain Azinger has to take into consideration.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Yeah, I read in the GOLF Magazine that the guys HATE playing in the Ryder Cup. This was said by Hunter Mahan. He said they enjoy the President's Cup because Jack lets them enjoy it more it seems.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Yeah, I read in the GOLF Magazine that the guys HATE playing in the Ryder Cup. This was said by Hunter Mahan. He said they enjoy the President's Cup because Jack lets them enjoy it more it seems.

Would there be any connection between this idea of 'hating' the Ryder Cup and being beaten - last twice, by record margins - on the one hand and the fact that the Americans trounce the non-European foreigners regularly in the President's Cup? Is that why it's 'fun'?

I was surprised the Americans continued to play in the Ryder Cup when it went through its one-sided phase, from WW2 to 1979. It was so predictable and they didn't get paid for it. Now, they do get paid, it's a huge draw every two years, it's very difficult to win - and some of them seem to hate it. What's that about?

I bet if there was a million dollars prize money to each member of the winning team, Mahan and the others would eat crow pie, if it was served up at those "massive fancy dinners".

The honour of competing for your country is, apparently, worth less than earning a fat paycheck - that's the bottom line, and Mahan said it himself in not so many words:

"Phil Mickelson and Tiger [Woods] – their time is worth money. And for the PGA of America, the Ryder Cup is a money-maker like no other. Is it an honour to play? Yes it is, but players value their time and this is a business."

Some of Mahan's statements regarding the Ryder Cup are preposterous (likening the week to 'being a slave'). For someone who's not yet had the privilege represent the USA, they're even more laughable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/gol...an---golf.html

--
Tee it high, let it fly!

MP-600, Fujikura E360 Stiff
Hi-Bore 1i, 2i, Stiff MP-57, DG S300 52.08, 56.08., 60.07 FISHER GOLF - CTS-1 Burgandy Insert ProV1

I bet if there was a million dollars prize money to each member of the winning team, Mahan and the others would eat crow pie, if it was served up at those "massive fancy dinners".

I have these reactions: 1. You are correct---it SHOULD be an honor to play for your country. When Mark O'Meara first brought up the idea "Pay for Play", he was forced to back off when the reaction was so negative. He then said that he did not want the money personally, he wanted to designate a charity to receive it. 2. The American teams have had the World's #1, 2, and 3 players in the last two matches (Tiger, Phil, and Jim Furyk) and got stomped on!! There are two main reasons for this: motivation and a concept of team play. The Euros have both, and the Americans have neither. Now, they are trying to "figure it out". The Americans are proud that they are "independent contractors" and do not adapt easily to team play. The Euros, when playing their Tour, eat together, hang out together, and know each other well. The Americans fly in on their personal jets to PGA Tour events, do not associate that much with their fellow competitors, and when they have hit their last putt, they fly out. 3. The Euros are used to playing "creative golf" and do very well in the alternate shot format. The Americans do not like having to go and hit a shot out of trouble because their partner "put them there in the first place". That puts pressure on each player to hit the ball in play so their partner does not give them a look that says, "Thanks a lot, partner, for putting me behind the tree with no shot at all." The Presidents Cup does have a more relaxed atmoshere, and much of that credit does go to the Captains. Although, I remember when the final match was all tied, and an argument broke up between Jack and Gary as to whether to play "for it all" the next day or declare a tie. They finally decided to share the trophy.

I sure wouldn't want Mahan after his comments this week.

In my opinion, Mahan's comments are equivalent to a member of one of the Super Bowl teams saying that he did not really want to play in the BIG GAME because of the "outside" activities that occur on the week before the game. Those activities are part of the importance of the event. It would be liking saying, "I do not want to accept my invitation to the Masters because there are too many distractions from fans and the media and the Committee that runs it. If you are good enough to qualify for a BIG EVENT, you should be prepared to handle what goes with it.

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!