IGNORED

If YOU were Paul Azinger, what would you do?

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Actually, I think he is doing a pretty good job in preparation for the Ryder Cup. Last year, when he was in Albany, NY, for a Skins Game, he made it very clear that he wanted players with DESIRE. His statement a few months ago that he wanted WINNERS, and not just high point earners or money earners, backed that up. A few players, who are used to "coasting along" and cashing big checks while NOT winning were not happy. Too bad, the pampered babies.
Now, his major job is to get them function as a team, and how he matches them up will have a lot to do with the results in the first two days matches. Who would you pair up?

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Cink-Stricker
Mickelson-Perry
Furyk-Weekley
Kim-Leonard

Cink-Stricker
Great ball striker and a great putter.

Mickelson-Perry
This team would be a juggernaut in my opinion. If Mickelson starts spraying shots Perry can back him up because his ball striking is mint.

Furyk-Weekley
Furyk has been kind of struggling but his great short game and Ryder Cup experience could do wonders and help ease Weekley who will be in his first Ryder Cup.

Kim-Leonard
Youth and Experience. TEAM NIKE.

Brandon Sweet
Handicap: 11.6
I play on the Hop Brook Server

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

Why does Paul Azinger get four wildcard picks, compared with two for the Europeans ?

Driver: KZG Gemini 10.5° Custom Build (Grafalloy ProLite 35)
7 Wood: Mizuno MP001 21° (Grafalloy ProLite 35)
Irons: Mizuno MP-60 (3i-PW)
GW/SW/LW: Cleveland 900 Tour Action 52°/56°/60°
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball Blade
Ball: TaylorMade TP Red / Srixon Z-Star

Why does Paul Azinger get four wildcard picks, compared with two for the Europeans ?

As I recall, Azinger pushed for the change to give him more discretion on picking players who had the right attitude and would match up well with others on the team. I do not know for sure if the Euros had to approve that change, but I believe they did.

Cink-Stricker

Good choices. I hope that Rocco makes the team by points or Captain's selection. He is playing very well and has a good attitude. He is competitive but still stays relaxed under pressure. I still do not believe how he birdied three holes in a role in Monday's playoff at the US Open with Tiger to go 1 up and put the pressure on Tiger to respond. Tiger's birdie on the 18th hole of the playoff then forced the Sudden Victory extension, which of course, Tiger won on the very first extra hole.

As I recall, Azinger pushed for the change to give him more discretion on picking players who had the right attitude and would match up well with others on the team. I do not know for sure if the Euros had to approve that change, but I believe they did.

ah ok.. (and I think it is a good idea too)

But would the Europeans (ie. Faldo) not want the same option? It seems strange to me why it is not equal for both sides, unless there is some 'Home/Away' or 'Defending Champion' advantage being given.. (sorry to take the thread away in a slightly different direction)

Driver: KZG Gemini 10.5° Custom Build (Grafalloy ProLite 35)
7 Wood: Mizuno MP001 21° (Grafalloy ProLite 35)
Irons: Mizuno MP-60 (3i-PW)
GW/SW/LW: Cleveland 900 Tour Action 52°/56°/60°
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball Blade
Ball: TaylorMade TP Red / Srixon Z-Star

Good choices. I hope that Rocco makes the team by points or Captain's selection. He is playing very well and has a good attitude. He is competitive but still stays relaxed under pressure. I still do not believe how he birdied three holes in a role in Monday's playoff at the US Open with Tiger to go 1 up and put the pressure on Tiger to respond. Tiger's birdie on the 18th hole of the playoff then forced the Sudden Victory extension, which of course, Tiger won on the very first extra hole.

I hope Rocco makes the team as well. He does have a great attitude. The only thing is that he might be burnt out after this rollercoaster year he has had. Plus he's got back issues. Other than that if he's healthy and fresh he'd be an excellent pick.

Brandon Sweet
Handicap: 11.6
I play on the Hop Brook Server

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

ah ok.. (and I think it is a good idea too)

Here is what the website for the Ryder Cup sez about Azinger getting 4 Captain's choices:

Selection Process for U.S. Team Altered The selection process for the United States Ryder Cup team has changed. The top eight points earners will now get an automatic berth, and the captain will now have four picks. November 06, 2006 The PGA of America revised its points system that will determine the top eight players for the 2008 United States Ryder Cup Team. The number of Captain's selections to complete the team increased from two to four players Azinger will be the first U.S. Captain to make four Captain's selections to a 12-member team. The Captain's selections were increased from two to four players in November 2006. European captain Nick Faldo will complete his squad with two wild cards, which he will announce on Aug. 31, allowing Azinger two days to analyze the European team before making his picks. Here is what Azinger said in an interview about the change: Q.: I would assume that among the media people that you vetted this thing was not (European Captian) Nick Faldo? PAUL AZINGER: No, I didn't talk to Nick about this. I don't think Nick really cares. I don't think he gives a hoot about anything that we're doing. I think he's just going to focus on what his team needs to do to get prepared. He knows that there's a little more pressure on him maybe than on me because he's had so much success. I feel like I have everything to gain here and I feel like he might feel the other way. It sounds to me like each team can have its own selection process, as long as it is approved by its PGA, and results in a 12 member team.

I hope Rocco makes the team as well. He does have a great attitude. The only thing is that he might be burnt out after this rollercoaster year he has had. Plus he's got back issues. Other than that if he's healthy and fresh he'd be an excellent pick.

He seems to be very healthy this season. He's played in quite a few tournaments and lately he's been playing awesome golf.

I don't think the back should even come into consideration right now unless something happens between now and then or he says he can't go.

He seems to be very healthy this season. He's played in quite a few tournaments and lately he's been playing awesome golf.

Rocco sez that he is pain-free for the first time in a long time, and has a therapist who works on him regularly, so that is helping him.

Azinger's 4 wild cards should be:

are you serious?....Watson isn't anything more then a Drivers Delight (after that he has no Ryder Cup ability at all), and Duvall? how many cuts has he made in his return the last several years? I realize it's your opinion and your entitled to it, but I sure hope none of your mentioned players are picked for the RC by Zinger

are you serious?....Watson isn't anything more then a Drivers Delight (after that he has no Ryder Cup ability at all), and Duvall? how many cuts has he made in his return the last several years?

I agree with you. Captain Azinger will NOT pick them. He wants WINNERS who have complete games and can go toe to toe with players like Lee Westwood, Paddy Harrington, Luke Donald (if he is able to play), etc. Watson and Duval would be like lambs going to the slaughter.

A few players, who are used to "coasting along" and cashing big checks while NOT winning were not happy. Too bad, the pampered babies

I think Kenny Perry was one of those guys. Motivated him to win so there may be something there.

Now, his major job is to get them function as a team, and how he matches them up will have a lot to do with the results in the first two days matches

Honestly I like Jack Nicklaus' approach. Just pair em up and let em play. All this stuff about them having to come together as a team, like the Europeans do, just doesn't work. I think it's important to have a certain type of player (like Zach Johnson or Scott Verplank) though so his 4 picks will be crucial.

Who would you pair up?

Who knows. Phil, Perry, Cink, Furyk, Kim have to be locks right now but after that it's still pretty wide open so with 4 picks it's hard to come up with a somewhat complete team. If they both get on the team I really liked the Zach Johnson/Scott Verplank team a couple years ago. Leonard should get in too but you never know. Also, he'll obviously want to play the guys who are playing well at the time. Right now he'd definitely want Perry out there but come September he could be duck hookin' it all over the place.

Azinger's 4 wild cards should be:

Wow Bash. You could exclude the top 8 and put every other American who has a PGA Tour card into a big hat and you couldn't blind draw a worse list than that.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I think Kenny Perry was one of those guys. Motivated him to win so there may be something there.

My view is that it is not always the highest ranked players who will be the best team players. Sure, they may be good players but they may not necessarily fit in to the team. You want players who will whip up some excitement and enthusiasm. Id still play Davis Love and JJ Henry. Id omit Duval and Watson for Mediate and Fred Couples...they are good match players. Its always good to have people in a team who have good interpersonal skills, ..something that Fred and Rocco have.

So I just looked at the current standings and assuming no changes this is the top 8:

Cink, Mickelson, Perry, Furyk, Kim, Leonard, Weekley, Stricker

So, at least today, I'd probably go with something like this for wild card picks:

Mediate, Mahan, Johnson, Verplank

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I agree-----not a good list.

Assuming the Top 8 stay the same, these would be my 4 choices...
1- Woody Austin
2- Rocco Mediate
3- Zach Johnson
4- Sean O' Hair

The 4th choice was a toss up for me. The guys from about 11 to 30 seem so weak to me compared to 10 years ago.

As far as some pairings go..these are a couple that I think might work well:
1- Weekley & Austin
2- I like the Mickelson & Perry that someone else suggested.
3- Cink & Furyk
4- Kim & Leonard was another good one brought up.
5- Mediate & anybody (he seems like a guy anybody would want to play alongside)

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!