IGNORED

Andrew Giuliani vs. Duke - Triple Bogey Blues

iQuest Golfer
Note: This thread is 5459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ERNEWS&ei;=5040

Andrew Giuliani, the son of the former mayor and presidential candidate, has filed a lawsuit against Duke University. The suit contended that he was unfairly suspended from the golf team.

Any comments?
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

I didn't read the article you posted, but I did read a bit about this on ESPN earlier today. He claimed in one of them that it was going to interfere with his ability to turn professional. Because, as we all know, you need to play in college to turn pro. And I seem to remember that his scores in college tournaments were nothing to write home about.

Well, the world needs ditch diggers too.

And does Duke Athletics have any money left after the Crystal Gail Mangum case a while back? Even if Giuliani wins the suit, how would they pay him?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

he also is going to sue his dad for not being a great dad

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

In 2007/08, as a college junior, Giuliani played in only two college tourneys (six rounds) and his average score was 74.5. His best finish was T-36. Eleven other Duke (men) golfers had a better scoring average than Giuliani this past season.

FWIW, here's how the complaint summarizes its allegations:

the University is bound to the same law of contract and the same covenant of good faith and fair dealing that every party to a contract in North Carolina is bound. Specifically, this action is brought because: It is wrongful for a coach to secretly expel a student from a team, in violation of numerous University policies enacted to protect the student. It is wrongful for a coach to secretly expel a student from a team without notice, without an opportunity to defend himself, and without cause. It is wrongful for a coach, by threat of expulsion, to attempt to coerce a student into waiving rights guaranteed to him. It is wrongful for a coach to retaliate against a student who refuses to waive his rights to fairness and basic due process. It is wrongful for the University’s lawyers to shut down an Athletic Director’s investigation of a student grievance, to conduct a sham investigation, to prevent a student from meeting with his Athletic Director, to insist that a student pursue a “grievance procedure,” and then to vitiate that procedure by publishing false and misleading findings and concluions based on their “investigation.” It is wrongful for a coach to set teammates against one another and then delegate to team members the power to expel a teammate who competes with them for limited places on the roster. Amazingly, Duke University insists that none of these acts is wrongful and that each one is, instead, within its “significant authority.” The purpose of this suit is to establish what common sense and basic morals plainly dictate: each of the acts described above and detailed within is wrongful and must be stopped.

First, whatever the merits of the suit, this is not pursuasive legal writing. Pretty amazing, really, given who the father is, that they would permit a brief like this to be filed.

Second, this law firm represented some of the Duke Lacrosse players. I have full sympathy for those clients, but it is relevant I think that Sparks, the paralegal on this case (and a current Georgetown law student) was also the treasurer of a group called "Duke Students for an Ethical Durham" that flowed from the Duke rape case. See NYTimes article, HERE . This is siply to suggest that there may be a bigger back-story behind the decision to bring this case than just Guiliani's situation. Third, not a sympathetic claim in any event. It is not like Guiliani has not enjoyed every advantage in life and lost his big break. Again, the merits are what they are, but I hope there's something really foolish in what Duke did to him, as Guiliani and his lawyers are going into this lawsuit giving up a lot of strokes, as it were.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

He claimed in one of them that it was going to interfere with his ability to turn professional. Because, as we all know, you need to play in college to turn pro. And I seem to remember that his scores in college tournaments were nothing to write home about.

Let's see...

Justin Rose, Ernie Els, Greg Norman, Sergio Garcia, Padraig Harrington, Trevor Immelman, Geoff Oglivy, Nick Faldo, Nick Flanagan, David Feherty, KJ Choi, Stuart Appleby, Retief Goosen... ooops! Tiger Woods. What do they have in common? Didn't rely on any diploma to make it in the big leagues. Hmmmm, I thought it was talent that produced results on the tour?! If Andrew wants it bad enough he can grind it out and earn it. I hope this gets tossed out quickly and saves the Giuliani family further embarassment.
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

This is simply to suggest that there may be a bigger back-story behind the decision to bring this case than just Guiliani's situation.

I hope not. But, then, may be there is a real scandal, eh?

iQuestGolfer

Justin Rose, Ernie Els, Greg Norman, Sergio Garcia, Padraig Harrington, Trevor Immelman, Geoff Oglivy, Nick Faldo, Nick Flanagan, David Feherty, KJ Choi, Stuart Appleby, Retief Goosen... ooops! Tiger Woods. What do they have in common? Didn't rely on any diploma to make it in the big leagues.

I'm not sure if this is what you're saying, but Harrington finished college and even worked as an accountant for a while before turning pro.

But yeah, college golf doesn't really determine whether you can play professionally - it's good place to practice and form a back-up plan.
I hope this gets tossed out quickly and saves the Giuliani family further embarassment.

I agree, except for the part about sparing the Giulianis the embarrassment. I'm fully in favor of people who bring lawsuits in situations like this (unless there's something going on behind the scenes, as implied by a poster above, that I don't know about) being ashamed of it after the fact. Same with false accusations - it's why, whenever the topics come up, I reference Crystal Gail Mangum and Katelyn Faber. But we're getting off topic with the last name.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

In 2007/08, as a college junior, Giuliani played in only two college tourneys (six rounds) and his average score was 74.5. His best finish was T-36. Eleven other Duke (men) golfers had a better scoring average than Giuliani this past season.

I think this is going to hurt his ability to turn pro a little more than Duke will...

My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

Harrington finished college and even worked as an accountant for a while before turning pro. But yeah, college golf doesn't really determine whether you can play professionally - it's good place to practice and form a back-up plan.

I didn't know about Harrington. Good for him. It's always nice to have a back-up plan. The college systems in Europe are different than here in the U.S. regarding athletics. Which is why all the International are flooding the U.S. Universities and Colleges. Again... another topic for discussion.

Like you, I really don't care about the embarrassment to people who bring these types of lawsuits to the courts... it's just there has been so much about the Giuliani family... I'm a little tired of the soap opera, if you know what I mean?
iQuestGolfer

Will Andrew stop crying, now? Is this what it's come to? If I'm not good enough, I'll just sue?

We know only two concrete facts. One, he was nearly last in scoring and he played very little. What does that say? Is he incapable of realizing the truth and that his game, presently, is limited?

Instead of taking advantage of everything Duke has to offer and asking his coach to allow him the use of the golf facilities, he must resort to suing Duke. Yup, it's Duke's fault they recruited a kid that was not good enough and now are releasing him from the team. This happens every single year, in every sport at every single institution. Psst, Andrew, that four year scholarship is really a one year scholarship renewable up to five times. Did you not bother to read it?

Furthermore, two of his teammates went on record saying that he was a "distraction" and a "detriment" (NY POST) and being off the team was a good thing. Yup, the saying is true. Your teammates will tolerate your BS as long as you can perform. Andrew couldn't.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

if andrew giuliani gets himself a good enough lawyer, he may win the u.s. open someday

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

...Psst, Andrew, that four year scholarship is really a one year scholarship renewable up to five times. Did you not bother to read it?...

According to The Raleigh News & Observer Giuliana was never on a golf scholarship at Duke.

http://www.newsobserver.com/734/story/1153558.html "As an aspiring pro golfer in high school, Giuliani, the suit claims, was promised lifetime access to Duke's state-of-the-art training facilities if he came to the Durham campus and paid $200,000 in tuition and fees over four years."

i would think any good lawyer would of advised him not to pursue this case, this will expose him to a life of ridicule

• Administrator
There's a bit more here: http://www.geoffshackelford.com/home...nted-to-p.html .

In summary, it sounds like he wasn't a good fit for the team, and the new coach manufactured some pretty lame reasons to oust him.

The even typing that stretched the amount I care about this to the limits.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

According to The Raleigh News & Observer Giuliana was never on a golf scholarship at Duke.

Makes more sense. I have a son that plays Div. I golf and he told me that he didn't think Andrew was on scholarship either. Like many university teams, there isn't enough money to fund all the players on the team - not with 3-4.5 scholarships for the entire program. Duke was just doing what many teams are doing... separating them that can from them that can't.

There are a number of respectable Div II and Div III schools that would give Andrew a chance to... oooops! Sorry... they would have given Andrew a chance to develop further in his golfing career.
iQuestGolfer

I jsut have to say, normal people who get kicked off a golf team dont file a lawsuit. You get over it.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!