IGNORED

Trajectory?

scooterguitar
Note: This thread is 5752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure where this should go, so I will try it here.
As I am recently back into the game after numerous years off, so much has changed and I am finally getting a grip on it I think, understanding the gear changes and getting a lesson...getting there!

So, my question is, why is a high trajectory so important these days with the driver? As I have tried every dang driver out it seems, along with various shafts, been on the swing analysis...the guys tell me ideally you want the height of your drive high. Well, I do hit it high, but to me it just seems to high.

907 D2 9.5 Adila
MP57
Various hybrids
Too many putters
Exodus

Id say it has to do with the fact that today's golfballs are softer, so they dont roll as much. That makes carry distance so important and with more loft you get more carry.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

they say a high ball? did they tell you what the optimal launch conditions are for the driver and compared it to what you're launching at?
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Yes, I believe so. It was numerous drivers, most I hit really high, around 18-20 launch. Found a few that I was hitting in the 13 range.
When I asked why it seems all of them I hit high when years ago most of the clubs were medium to low trajectory for me, their reason was that softer balls now and carry is more important or something along those lines.
MY thing is, even with the driver I hit in the ideal launch angle (I have two of them), tee'd up lower, on the course they still just go very high seemingly to me.

907 D2 9.5 Adila
MP57
Various hybrids
Too many putters
Exodus

Yes, I believe so. It was numerous drivers, most I hit really high, around 18-20 launch. Found a few that I was hitting in the 13 range.

http://probablegolfinstruction.com/f...calculator.htm you can input your estimated ss and then find your optimal launch angle and driver that'll do it. remember..it's pretty much theoretical... Launch Angle is the angle at which the ball takes off just after impact. Your goal in launching your drives further is a high launch angle with the proper amount of ball spin. The optimum launch angle is around 12 degrees (+/- 1 degree). Slower swing speeds will need a higher launch angle. And higher swing speeds can afford a lower launch angle. A minor setup adjustment that will initially help with launch angle is teeing the ball higher and moving it forward in the stance. More off the target-side front foot! This will help make contact with the ball on the upswing producing a higher launch. A major influence over launch angle is the loft of the driver. Swing speed can be used as a starting point to choose the proper loft for the driver but it also depends on the angle of attack. Each golfer should choose proper loft to fit their swing speed and angle of attack to improve the launch angle. Slower swing speeds will not be able to generate the ball speed needed to get any carry distance. This is one reason a great deal of golfers have more success off the tee with a 3-wood instead of a driver. A 3-wood has enough loft to get the ball in the air and provides a nice boost of confidence. Here are some guidelines in choosing driver loft: • 60 to 70 mph = 12-14 degrees • 70 to 80 mph = 11-13 degrees • 80 to 90 mph = 10-12 degrees • 90 to 100 mph = 9-11 degrees • 100 mph + = 8-10 degrees
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, cool info guys.
I totally forget ball speed and spin, though they did speak of it and commented on what was optimal and what wasn't.
Of maybe 9 drivers, all with 9.5*, (had none with 8.5), only two were launching in the 12-13 range for me, again with various shafts. The driver I bought this time is the one they said was producing the best #'s, 907 D2 with Adila, it also had much less backspin rate than the other one I was looking at. My swing speed averages 95 mph on drives fairly consistently, so I'm not a big swinger.
Man, I wish I had this info beforehand, sure I woulda came home with the same driver, but it would have been nice to compare. In my old days, it was merely which one did the best at the range.

So, with all this, I should be teeing even higher? The two drivers I have (460cc), I usually tee them up with the very top of the ball even or slightly above the face of the club. I'll have to experiement more at the range I guess.

907 D2 9.5 Adila
MP57
Various hybrids
Too many putters
Exodus

Note: This thread is 5752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!