IGNORED

PW or 48° Vokey Wedge?

muskegman
Note: This thread is 6697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is one to throw darts at folks. I recently aquired a set of 690.CB's (thanks to all concerned ) and don't have the 690 PW. So the question is... should I complete the set by buying a 690.CB PW or should I grab another Oil Can wedge in 48°? What do you use? Would you see advantages either way? Sean O'Hair is one who plays Taylor Made rac LT 3- through 9-irons and a rac TP pitching wedge.

Vokey positives:

• More spin (?)
  • Uniform with other wedges
  • It is a unique set up
  • Cheaper than the PW replacement (I can probably pick one up for $50)

690 PW positives:
  • Less Spin
  • Greater resale for the set (that I'm not selling)
  • Uniform with other irons
  • Traditional
  • I'm more accustomed to this arrangement

BTW, I really like the 690's and look forward to getting to know them a little better.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You know my choice :) vokey all the way.

Josh Premuda
www.thesandtrap.com

Driver Titleist 905T 8.5 degrees
Ping I2 3-wood 14 degreesTitleist 503.H hybrid 22 degreesTitleist DCI 962 3-9 6.5 Rifle shaftTitleist Vokey Oil Can wedges 48, 58 degreesScratch Golf 3x Black Wedge 54 degreesBig Oak Putter, T'ville 34"

it's an easier decision if you were using REAL equipment (hehehe) - Taylor Made's RAC blade PW has identical design as the other wedges - it's just the loft that's different...
IMHO for a full swing I'd always go with PW as supposed to low lofted wedge. The bounce of PW is usually much higher than a wedge, and if you're not in 100% control of your swing - it's useful

I say go for the Vokey mainly because it will be cheaper. Something to help you out in getting used to this setup would be to double check all the lengths of your wedges and lie angles. Make sure the 48 is 1/2" shorter than your 9, etc

• Administrator
it's an easier decision if you were using REAL equipment (hehehe) - Taylor Made's RAC blade PW has identical design as the other wedges - it's just the loft that's different...

The specs on a 690 vs. a Vokey PW are nearly identical, Rafi. Loft, lie, bounce is within a degree, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

FYI, I've got a 248.06 Black Nickel Vokey on the way for Christmas.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

You will never change now!!! I love mine.

Josh Premuda
www.thesandtrap.com

Driver Titleist 905T 8.5 degrees
Ping I2 3-wood 14 degreesTitleist 503.H hybrid 22 degreesTitleist DCI 962 3-9 6.5 Rifle shaftTitleist Vokey Oil Can wedges 48, 58 degreesScratch Golf 3x Black Wedge 54 degreesBig Oak Putter, T'ville 34"

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 6697 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!