IGNORED

Got a set of clubs..2 clubs confuse me..

Aetsh
Note: This thread is 5754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...0070926x00003a

That set, it has a 3 wood, and another 3 something that I think is supposed to be a 3 iron, but it is somewhat bigger, like a 3 wood.

and a 4, which the description says is a hybrid, that "replaces the 4 iron"

Question is, Does the smaller 3 play like a 3 iron? I'm a bit confused..

Yes! The 3-iron and 4-iron replacements are called hybrids because they're halfway between woods and irons. I treat my hybrid (the Cobra 20 degree in my signature) as a 3-iron when hitting it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes! The 3-iron and 4-iron replacements are called hybrids because they're halfway between woods and irons. I treat my hybrid (the Cobra 20 degree in my signature) as a 3-iron when hitting it.

Nice!!! Thanks very much!!!

Another quick one I just thought of..I had a older 5 wood, with this new bag, I only have a 5 iron, no 5 wood. Does the 4 hybrid in the bag, "replace" the old 5 wood I used to carry?

In my very unprofessional opinion - yes. But it depends on how you hit hybrids. Some guys kill em and some guys hit them just as far as an iron - I know, it's suppossed to replace a club, but every single guy I've played with - including myself - hits a "4hybrid" 10 yards farther than he did his 4 iron.

It all depends on how well you hit hybrids compared to your woods compared to your irons. It really depends nowadays.

But please - get a second opinion. I know how I and my buddies hit them, but that's the extent.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

it all comes down to personal preference

personally i prefer hybrids... but i have friends who will take a 2 iron over a 3 hybrid anyday.

I am assuming that this is an off the rack set you bought. More and more sets are coming without a 5 wood due to the fact that they are putting hybrids in the bag and the thinking is that a 3-hybrid (which, yes, replaces the 3-iron) is easier to hit that the iron and can be used where you might have used a 5 wood (or even a 7 wood, though those are even rarer these days).

It's a little unusual to have a 4-hybrid in the set. Count yourself lucky. In my opinion the 3 and 4 irons are the hardest clubs to hit.

Right now I have 5 wood, 3 hybrid and 3-iron in the bag. I rarely hit my 3-iron but i keep it because it meets an in between distance for me. My 5 wood plays about 10 yards longer than the hybrid, which (probably due to the ease of hitting it) plays about 10 yards longer than my 3 iron. I am looking to get a 4-hybrid because the 4-iron can be hard for me to hit solidly.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

I would definitely say to take these out on the range. If you find that you hit the hybrid as long as the 5 wood and a little more consistently, then you have your answer. It really just does depend on your preference.

In My Ogio Grom Bag:

Driver: Taylormade r7 Superquad 460 CC
3 & 5 Wood: Cobra LD M Speed Offset
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler DWSIrons: Titleist AP1 4I-GW Sand Wedge: Callaway WarbirdPutter: Odyssey White Hot XG #1 Glove: Footjoy WeathersofShoe: Footjoy PRO Saddle DryjoyBall: Titleist NXT...

Note: This thread is 5754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!