IGNORED

Hawaii Golf

Note: This thread is 5789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll be heading out to Hawaii for the final 2 weeks of the tour this coming December.
You guys all gave me GREAT advice on: Chamber's Bay.
I'm gonna be staying on Oahu the entire time & can drive as far as a 30 - 45 minute radius (more like 200 degrees from Honolulu (my date for the trip would kill me if i left her for longer than 5.5 hours).
Do you guys have any suggestions?
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I played a course there called Ko'olau,its in the top 100 hardest courses in the world or was,it has a slope rating of 164,beautiful course and the 18th is top class,give it a shot,you won't be dissapointed,i played it twice.Make sure you get the yardage card or a skycaddie for off the tee,laser is no good for there as the hazards off the tee are blind too you,first time i played it i hit great tee shots only to find when i walked down the fairway there is ravines.
i had no yardage card or skycaddie then.Look it up, www.koolaugolfclub.com

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Hmmm...not too familiar with courses in the Honolulu area....Ko'olau is in Kaneohe and billed as the toughest course in the USA. I'm also thinking Luana Hills in Kailua. I golfed there last Sept....really tight, narrow fairways. Beautiful course with the front 9 on a hill and the back 9 in a rainforest valley.

I haven't golfed here but both Olomana Golf links in Waimanalo and Hawaii Kai Golf courses are a short drive from Waikiki. Muni courses include Ala Wai just outside of Waikiki and Pali in Kaneohe.

Leeward courses I've golfed at: Coral Creek, Waikele, Barbers Point, Leilehua. Leaving for Oahu myself in 3 weeks....hope to do alot more golfing and will spend some time on Maui as well to golf!

Have fun in Hawaii!

My chix stix:

R7 Burner
Burner Woods and Hybrids
R7 CGB Max IronsKoa Wood

I'm trying to debate if it's worth driving up to Turtle Bay for the day to play both courses.
Let me know which spots you decide to play on Oahu. Would love the report on them. thanks for the recommendations.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Ive been wanting to play golf in hawaii too...My friend played Ko'olau and he said it was absolutely amazing. He's a pebble beach nut, and he said he actually prefered this to pebble. I've never played either, so I dont have much of a say on them. I do know that I played the Links at Kuilima over at turtle bay. It is a 9 hole regulation length course, but it was nothing spectacular. Still fun though.

You most likely cannot go wrong any where you play.

As far as time away, Oahu is really quite small. But be aware, getting out of Honolulu is really slow and the roads often have low speed limits.

I played at Waikele Golf Club. Very nice course, great weather, nice condition. Would not expect anything less.

I was told most of the courses are setup with the trade winds in mind. The long holes often have the wind at your back; the short ones in your face. It is sad to see a nice drive slow at the top, then start moving perpendicular right, across the fairway and drop into a fairway bunker.

Many have "resort" tees. So there is a lot of variability in actual distance on any give day.

The best idea is to find a local to play with. Their rates are considerably lower.
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

I was in Hawaii in June and play Ko'Olau. It was fantastic. Also play a muni, Pali very near Ko'Olau, not as tough, but very enjoyable and less expensive. Third course I play was on another island.

if you are going to be in Kauai, Princeville is a must play. incredibly hard and a beauty. there needs to be a PGA event here.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

i forget what the course is called, but its on a Marine base. if you want ocean views, that is the place to go.

my dad plays in hawaii a lot, and he said that michelle wie's home course was disappointing

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

i forget what the course is called, but its on a Marine base. if you want ocean views, that is the place to go.

Two courses fit your description...Kaneohe Bay and Navy Marine. I lived for 12 years 10 minutes from Kaneohe, and back then (way back) you had to play with someone with privileges on the military installations.

Taylormade Tour Burner, 2008 9.5, Fujikura Reax 60 stiff shaft, 2 degrees open
Callawy Heavenwood, 14 degree Hybrid, stock shaft
Titleist 585H, 17 and 21 degree Hybrids, Aldila Stiff 85 shafts
Titleist Tour 4-PW, Dynamic Gold s300
Titeist Vokey Spin Milled 56 and 60 degreeMaxfli Crossbax 5.0Top...

I'm trying to debate if it's worth driving up to Turtle Bay for the day to play both courses. Let me know which spots you decide to play on Oahu. Would love the report on them. thanks for the recommendations.

Will do! Our daughter's wedding is at the Turtle Bay Resort. Another golfing couple is also coming along to Hawaii as they have never been to Hawaii. I was just going over the tee times with them for the TBR. Seems that the Sept 2nd twilight fees are more expensive than the twilight fees on Sept 4th...$190/110 respectively. Also, for Sept 2nd, the fees for 1:48pm were $150 and at 2:15pm they were $110. I checked these fees on their website. We're gonna wait till we get there to look up available tee times/prices etc at TBR as well as the different courses throughout the island. We still have to go over the planning for our Maui trip. I really would like the op to golf on Maui!

My chix stix:

R7 Burner
Burner Woods and Hybrids
R7 CGB Max IronsKoa Wood

....back then (way back) you had to play with someone with privileges on the military installations.

Still true today....met my husband when he was stationed at Schofield Barracks....his home course was Leilehua but he played at all military golf courses on Oahu.

My dad and my uncle are both retired DOD (Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard) and my dad used to golf.....my uncle may still golf....don't know yet....have to talk to my aunt. If he's in still good enough health, I will ask him if he can get us tee times for Leilehua and Barber's Point for this trip. He got us in for rounds at Leilehua and Barber's Pt couple years ago....

My chix stix:

R7 Burner
Burner Woods and Hybrids
R7 CGB Max IronsKoa Wood

• 1 month later...

I'll be spending 2 weeks in Hawaii this coming November and would like to golf 3-4 times, family permitting, during my stay. At this stage i'm flexible on which island to stay and would be willing to pay USD100-200 a round to play great courses. We will likely end up spending time in a couple of places perhaps Oahu and Maui.

If you'd share your "top" or "most play" courses it would be much appreciated! I'm most interested in courses that have spectacular or memorable scenary

Wailea and Kapalua Plantation on Maui, both great courses with GREAT views!

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

• 1 month later...
Just back and played Wailea Emerald and Kapalua Bay courses which were great.

I also spent a couple of days in Kawai and played Poi Pu and Princeville courses, these were probably the highlights for me.

Hawai is a great spot for golf!

Note: This thread is 5789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!