IGNORED

Do 9 hole scores count?

Maverick
Note: This thread is 6653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing more early morning 9 holes (back 9) than a full 18 lately. can they be counted toward establishing a legit. index or not? or do I have to play only 18 holes?

Now let's say, hypothetically, I just had a meltdown..*ahem* and shot considerably more than I normally do..do I still count this..or just cross it off as one of those days and not count it? I normally play bogey golf but today was considerably more than that.

Mav, You can count 9 holes only score but it wont be computed until another 9 is added to it. So, if you play the front 9 today and the back 9 tomorrow, then you can post both 9's for your 18 hole total.
As far as you having a bad round. That is considered in the calculation and will not be a major factor against your handicap as they take the best average 10 scores from your previous 20 rounds. If you normally shoot 88 and you post a 76 then that will probably be thrown out of the calculation as well. Hope this helps as I don't 100% get into those calculations but instead let the USGA figure out my handicap.

Mike

Titleist 915 D-2 9,5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist 915H 18*

Mizuno MP-4 3-PW

Mizuno MP 54* & 60*

Yes Pippi Putter

If you normally shoot 88 and you post a 76 then that will probably be thrown out of the calculation as well.

I don't think that is correct. I believe it's the average of the best 10 out of the last 20, so if you shot 19 88's and 1 76, you'd take the average of 9 88's and 1 76. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

-Dale

Ping G10 Draw 10.5*
Sonartec 2.5 17*
Sonartec md 21*, 23*
Mizuno MX23 5-pw
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 50*, 54*, 60*Scotty Oilcan Laguna

Directly from the usga website.

10-2. Handicap Index Formula The Handicap Index formula is based on the best Handicap Differential(s) in a player's scoring record. If a player's scoring record contains 20 or more scores, the best 10 Handicap Differentials of the most recent 20 scores are used to calculate the Handicap Index. As the number of scores in the scoring record decreases the percentage of scores used in a scoring record decreases from the maximum of the best 50 percent. If the scoring record contains 9 or 10 scores, only the best three scores (30 to 33 percent) in the scoring record will be used. Thus, the accuracy of a player's Handicap Index is directly proportional to the number of acceptable scores posted. A Handicap Index must not be issued to a player who has returned fewer than five acceptable scores.

So, if you play the front 9 today and the back 9 tomorrow, then you can post both 9's for your 18 hole total.

Isn't that "knitting"? Playing the same course two different times would present different conditions. Weather, your attitude, playing conditions, etc. I don't know that it is definitely wrong for handicap purposes but it doesn't seem right.

You can count 9 holes only score but it wont be computed until another 9 is added to it.

I have two different indexes. A 9-hole and an 18-hole neither of which is worth crowing about.

• 2 weeks later...
Isn't that "knitting"? Playing the same course two different times would present different conditions. Weather, your attitude, playing conditions, etc. I don't know that it is definitely wrong for handicap purposes but it doesn't seem right.

"Conditions", whatever they may be, vary all the time and posting 9 holes uner one set of "Condtions" with another 9 under a different set of "Conditions" should be fine and is acceptable because those factors all go into the score...which is reported. At my old club, everyone did this and was encouraged so a good handicap could be established.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I don't post 9-hole scores... but that's largely because when I know I'm only going to play nine holes, I don't follow USGA rules. In other words, I'll hit extra balls, pick up the 1-footers (or drag them back to three feet is more likely, actually), etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't post 9-hole scores... but that's largely because when I know I'm only going to play nine holes, I don't follow USGA rules. In other words, I'll hit extra balls, pick up the 1-footers (or drag them back to three feet is more likely, actually), etc.

so it's alright then to not post 9 holes scores toward my index?

• Administrator
so it's alright then to not post 9 holes scores toward my index?

Well, it's not alright to post scores achieved by ignoring the USGA rules...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 6653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!