IGNORED

Putting + Sledging.

Aus_E
Note: This thread is 5735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I all too often find that putting in particular is shortly followed by sledging, what ever the outcome, positive or negative when playing with mates.
This thread is in relation to the "names for a good shot" thread, but thought i should start a new one so i didnt stray off topic, kind of like i am now.

Anyway, putting + sledging.

I pride myself on sledging my mates during rounds, trying to take away any ounce of self-confidence they may have. You may think im an ******* for doing so, but i dont care.

I find putting leaves golfers most vaulnerable (sorry if thats spelt wrong), especially in pressure situations.
Leaving putts short for pars/birdies and desperate bogeys can be followed up with,
"where's your handbag Nancy?" or,
"does your husband play?"

Driving a ball out of bounds can be followed with,
"the greens that way, Ray" (no offence to any Ray Charles fans)
etc

You get the point.
Its all about rubbing salt it the wound. Make that terrible shot hurt them more so. I want to hear your sledging lines in regards to crappy golf shots in general.
Got any classic lines?

Sorry but only an Australian could post that. Golf for me is about sportsmanship and a bit of dignity. Keep your "witty" banter for the cricket pitch.

In my bag:

Callaway X460 10 deg driver
Taylor Made Burner 15 deg 3 wood
MD Golf 21 deg Blackhawk RescueTaylorMade RAC OverSize irons 3-SWPing i-Series Anser putter(All LH!)

Sorry but only an Australian could post that. Golf for me is about sportsmanship and a bit of dignity. Keep your "witty" banter for the cricket pitch.

Are you for real?

Its a bit of fun and a joke around with mates.. Golf is not all serious. Im clearly not going out to play golf to sledge people i dont know, but if i had to play a round with you, i probably wouldnt care. And keep your "Australian" re-marks to yourself too.

Don't blame our sledging for kicking your ass all the time in Cricket.

Dignity, sportsmanship and cricket all used in two consecutive sentences by an Englishman? Come on, who are you kidding?

ha. i was gonna post something about the ashes, lol, but thought id better stick to golf

Forgot to add, dignity and sportsmanship from an Englishman with a picture of Sergio "Golly In The Cup" Garcia as an avatar!

Are you for real?

I agree.

Where abouts in vic are you?

Whats in my bag:

Burner HT 13* Reax Regular Shaft
R7 19* Reax Regular Shaft
AP1's 4-PW Project X 5.5 Shafts Vokey Spin Milled 60.08 56.10 Rossa Siena 4 Pro V1"Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a s**t"

Im in Melbourne, Greensborough. Yourself?

Melbourne, Frankston. Greensborough, thats like an hour away from here isnt it?

Whats in my bag:

Burner HT 13* Reax Regular Shaft
R7 19* Reax Regular Shaft
AP1's 4-PW Project X 5.5 Shafts Vokey Spin Milled 60.08 56.10 Rossa Siena 4 Pro V1"Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a s**t"

Yeah Akers! Cricket is always sensitive towards the English because they invented the sport. Anyway on topic. 'Does your husband play?' is a good one and if someone hits it way past the cup we usually say 'tooooot, tooooot!'

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

"I pride myself on sledging my mates during rounds, trying to take away any ounce of self-confidence they may have. You may think im an ******* for doing so, but i dont care. "

1) If you pride yourself on that, you must be scratching around for things to be proud about.
2) If you don't care why the flame response?

A few chips on the shoulders about the English on here I see. To be fair, it's pretty hard to tell the tone of a post sans smileys. The original post came over as incredibly redneck.

As for sportsmanship, I can only look after my own behaviour there. And it's respectful.
While we're on the subject of stereotypes, how unsurprising to find Aussies discussing ways to imply that people are homosexual. You guys really are stuck in the 70s aren't you?

In my bag:

MD Golf 21 deg Blackhawk RescueTaylorMade RAC OverSize irons 3-SWPing i-Series Anser putter(All LH!)

Forgot to add, dignity and sportsmanship from an Englishman with a picture of Sergio "Golly In The Cup" Garcia as an avatar!

That was going to be my point... blah!

To add to the discussion, i have no idea what "Sledging" is, but it sounds like it could be rather vulgar, and I suspect it is not my cup of tea... I guess if your mates really minded they wouldn't be your mates, so its all good.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

After reading some of this thread I really don't see what the problem is with 'sledging' or 'smack talk' to your plaing partners. However, I think it should be reserved for only when playing with friends. I will do it all the time to my friends, and they do it to me. I would NEVER say something to anyone if I don't know them well and know they can take it. If you're my friend you can expect to get razzed a little on the course, if I don't know you, I won't say a word.

As for what we say:

We will usually break out lines from some of our favorite movies that have good quotes that can relate to golf.

"Somebody's closer" from Happy Gilmore
"I don't think thats got the distance Rexy" from Major League
When there is a pressure putt I will walk right behind my friend and give a line from White Men Can't Jump "I've hustled a helluvalot better players than you".

Many more come up, you just think of them at the moment.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

After reading some of this thread I really don't see what the problem is with 'sledging' or 'smack talk' to your plaing partners. However, I think it should be reserved for only when playing with friends. I will do it all the time to my friends, and they do it to me. I would NEVER say something to anyone if I don't know them well and know they can take it. If you're my friend you can expect to get razzed a little on the course, if I don't know you, I won't say a word.

That's exactly what we're talking about. All sledging is, is that you have a bit of banter over who's better with your mates. It's not deliberate attempts to hate him or anything. You make a funny about their bad mistakes and they do the same back. And regards to Sergio77's "While we're on the subject of stereotypes, how unsurprising to find Aussies discussing ways to imply that people are homosexual. You guys really are stuck in the 70s aren't you?" How is saying you putt like a woman homosexual? It's a little banter with mates. By saying 'does your husband play?' refers to not enough power in a putt or a weak putt which is stereotyped to woman who are stereotypically weak.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Funny how this thread sort of turned into a trash talking episode all in itself. Personally I don't see anything wrong with talking sh*t if it is with your friends...also it doesn't just apply to putting. If they snap-hook their drive I might say something along the lines of "OOOOOH, somebody get that hooker a skirt!"

I'll come up with a few off the top of my head as we play should the situation present itself...

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

"How is saying you putt like a woman homosexual? It's a little banter with mates."

It's not homosexual. It is implying that the other person is, by implying they are effeminate. Let's not even get started on the value systems that lead to that kind of joke being funny. Women=inferior.

Trouble is using the forums can sometimes be like talking to an autistic person who takes everything literally - if you don't leave sign that you're being ironic, you can't be surprised when people take you at face value.

In my bag:

You guys really are stuck in the 70s aren't you?

Ahhhh the good old days!

I don't mind a bit of sledging. One of my favourites is asking a mate after he has just nailed a drive "you catch that one solid mate?" - it sort of implies that it didn't go very far. I catch a lot of the sledging that's going on in my group of friends because I play very conservatively, I'm often asked why I'm wearing pants today and not a skirt or being told to "stop being a big girl and have a go" etc. It doesn't bother me, I'm the lowest marker in my group of friends by about 4 shots and I give plenty of stick back.

Note: This thread is 5735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!