IGNORED

Paula will win the Safeway

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think Lorena has lost some focus this year because of some family issues and that she does not seem as motivated as in the past. One interview I heard sticks with me where she stated something like she wasn't sure if she would be on tour after 5 years because she had other things she would like to accomplish. It just made me feel that she is one her way out.

You are right---to be at the top takes a TOTAL dedication. After a time, some players get "burned out", or have other interests. Annika has made the right move in retiring. She said that she wanted to start a family and "pursue other interests". There is no point in playing in tournaments where you are just "showing up". If you are a top player and do not have the burning desire to win, it is best to do what Byron Nelson, Bob Jones, and Annika decided---retire.

And this brings up an interesting question. Tiger Woods said in an interview that when his game gets to the point that he does not feel that he can win, he will "walk away from the game". He plays to win; that is his motivation. If his knee does not allow him to regain his past form, and he becomes "just one of the guys", will he keep playing? He said that he would not.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I think in the case of a lot of the LPGA players is that they reach a point in their lives where family is more important than golf.
You know, they play pretty well for a few years, make a bunch of money and they get to the point where being a wife and a mother is more important than being a golf champion.
I think it takes a much greater toll on their golf career than it does the guys in the PGA because obviously being a parent takes a much greater toll on a woman's body than it does a man's.
For the guys, they can keep playing right up until he baby is born, hop on a plane and be there for the kid's birth and then hop right back on a plan and play at the next week's event. Obviously, its not that easy for the ladies.
Clearly, Ochoa has some personal issues that have been going on, which no doubt have distracted her from her golf game. Annika wants to start a family and has chosen to walk away from the game. She did say that she might play in some of the majors, but that as far as playing full-time, she is done. I respect her decision.
Bottom line, I just want these ladies to be happy. If being a pro golfer makes them happy, great. If being a wife and mother is more important and they want to walk away from the game, thats fine too. Whatever makes them feel happiest and most fufilled in their lives is all that matters.
Granted, Id be disappointed if Paula ever made that choice (unless of course I was going to be the father of her kids...hint, hint, Paula) but Id respect her decision and would still be a Paula Creamer fan.
As to Tiger, if his knee doesnt come back 100% and he isnt able to be competitive, I think he would retire. I dont see Tiger being OK with just showing up and finishing 30th or worse all the time.
Its not as if he needs the money.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Bottom line, I just want these ladies to be happy. If being a pro golfer makes them happy, great. If being a wife and mother is more important and they want to walk away from the game, thats fine too. Whatever makes them feel happiest and most fufilled in their lives is all that matters.

I agree. The worst thing that can happen is that a golfer stays out there, without full motivation, and fades into the sunset. Some do stay motivated. Look at Juli Inkster, Helen Alfredsson, Meg Mallon, and some of the "oldies". They are still "fired up", and Juli and Helen are having good years. You are 100% correct in your statement about the differences between men and women touring pros and raising their families. It is very tough on the women, as Laura Diaz has commented on, since she gave birth to her son, Cooper.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I agree. The worst thing that can happen is that a golfer stays out there, without full motivation, and fades into the sunset. Some do stay motivated. Look at Juli Inkster, Helen Alfredsson, Meg Mallon, and some of the "oldies". They are still "fired up", and Juli and Helen are having good years. You are 100% correct in your statement about the differences between men and women touring pros and raising their families. It is very tough on the women, as Laura Diaz has commented on, since she gave birth to her son, Cooper.

Absolutely. Theres nothing stopping some of these younger LPGA players from having kids when they are in the mid to late 20s and them coming back in 10 years and playing just as well as they ever had.

Lately we have seen that even players in their 40s can still compete at the highest levels. Look at Vijay Singh, I think he is in his mid 40s and he is playing as good as anyone as of late.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 5753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!