IGNORED

Rules Question

907golfer12
Note: This thread is 5716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Before you say search for this, I don't thing anyone has come across this so that's why I am asking.

So today I hit my second shot right, and it hit a tree, came out and sat behind a small stump. So I found my ball and moved a few things from behind it, and took some practice swings and then I saw and heard some hornets come out from under the stump. I then waited for them to settle down and go back under the stump.

After they went under the stump, I knew once I hit my ball they would come out after I hit my shot as their nest was under the ground that I was hitting off of. Afraid of them coming out and stinging me I asked my playing partners if they knew wether I could take a drop because of this, and they didn't know, and I accidentally left the rules book at home. So I knew I could play the shot under the rules, and since I want my handicap and such to be valid, I played the shot.

They I heard a loud buzz and like 50 hornets chased me and I got stung like 4 or 5 times. But that is beside the point.

In this situation could I have taken a drop? If so would it be with or without a penalty?

Thanks for any help.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I am not sure but it may fall under the Abnormal Ground Conditions, in which you would be entitled to a free drop within one club length of the nearest point of relief no closer to the hole. I am sure one of our resident experts like FourPutt could better answer your question.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Before you say search for this, I don't thing anyone has come across this so that's why I am asking.

There is a rule for "dangerous condition" but I don't know it off the top of my head. Give me a few minutes to see if I can find it. EDIT:
Decisions on Rules 1-4/10 Dangerous Situation; Rattlesnake or Bees Interfere with Play Q. A player’s ball comes to rest in a situation dangerous to the player, e.g., near a live rattlesnake or a bees’ nest. Does the player have any options in addition to playing the ball as it lies or, if applicable, proceeding under Rule 26 or 28? A. Yes. It is unreasonable to expect the player to play from such a dangerous situation and unfair to require the player to incur a penalty under Rule 26 (Water Hazards) or Rule 28 (Ball Unplayable). In equity (Rule 1-4), as an additional option the player may, without penalty, drop a ball on the nearest spot not nearer the hole that is not dangerous. If the ball lay in a hazard, it should be dropped, if possible, in the same hazard and, if not, in a similar nearby hazard, but in either case not nearer the hole. If it is not possible for the player to drop the ball in a hazard, he may drop it, under penalty of one stroke, outside the hazard, keeping the point where the original ball lay between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped. If it is clearly unreasonable for the player to make a stroke because of interference by anything other than the dangerous situation or if the situation would be dangerous only through the use of an unnecessarily abnormal stance, swing, or direction of play, he may not take relief as prescribed above, but he is not precluded from proceeding under Rule 26 or 28 if applicable. (Revised) Danger from Fire Ants — See 33-8/22. 1-4/11 Meaning of “Dangerous Situation” Q. According to Decision 1-4/10, a ball lying near a live rattlesnake or bees’ nest is a “dangerous situation” and relief should be granted in equity. If a player’s ball comes to rest in or near an area of plants such as poison ivy, cacti or stinging nettles, should the provisions of Decision 1-4/10 apply? A. No. The player must either play the ball as it lies or, if applicable, proceed under Rule 26 (Water Hazards) or Rule 28 (Ball Unplayable). Decision 1-4/10 contemplates a situation which is unrelated to conditions normally encountered on the course. Unpleasant lies are a common occurrence which players must accept.

I'll bet you were entitled to relief under the abnormal groung rule. Kind of like Sergio got on the second playoff hole at Barclays.

The Hornets nest should be brought to the attention of the commitee
They can then invoke a local rule making it an enviromentally sensitive area allowing a free drop as in GUR.(dosnt help the first player to come across it though)
You should maybe have played an unplayable or ran a bit faster

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

• Administrator
I'll bet you were entitled to relief under the abnormal groung rule. Kind of like Sergio got on the second playoff hole at Barclays.

Not abnormal ground, no, but the "hazardous/dangerous conditions" Harry mentioned above, yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sergio's wasn't a dangerous situation, unless the gopher was

really angry, though.

In the bag...

Driver: Sumo Squared 2007 Model, 10.5, Stiff Shaft
2I: Sumo Squared Hybrid
3I-SW: Nike Ignite, Graphite Regular Shaft60 Degree: Nike SV Tour Satin BlackPutter: Newport Studio Select 2 Mid-Slant 33"Trying to figure out what 14th club to add...

sergio's relief was baed on an established USGA ruling on a burrowing animal in the act of burrowing.

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

Thank you to everyone who answered my question. I wasn't sure so just played it, and it was just some hornets that might sting me so I was like oh well it won't hurt tomorrow. By the way I who 73 that day, and parred that hole with an up and down from the nest

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Sergio's wasn't a dangerous situation, unless the gopher was

Okay, I actually let out a small snort while trying not to laugh too loud.

Thank you J.T. I enjoyed the exchange between Sergio and the Rules Official when Sergio was lobbying for relief. Apparently the gopher (mole?) was watching because there was a "did you see it?!?!?"; "Yeah, yeah, right there. I saw it." And then when Sergio went digging in the main hole, the Rules Official kept saying "You don't have to do that. I saw it." For a few seconds, I was afraid Sergio was going to dig a little too far down and lose a finger. Although, Sergio yanking his hand out of the hole with a gopher or mole still attached to it would have been the best sports blooper video. Ever.

And then when Sergio went digging in the main hole, the Rules Official kept saying "You don't have to do that. I saw it." For a few seconds, I was afraid Sergio was going to dig a little too far down and lose a finger.

HAHAHA, I was thinking the same thing too while watching that. Personally, I think Sergio's act of pulling the turf back probably eliminated any question of an unfair ruling, at least to the TV viewers.

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Note: This thread is 5716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!