IGNORED

Anyone else riding the stock market rollercoaster?

Fraser
Note: This thread is 5702 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So another horrid day on the US stock market today, S&P; 500 losing just shy of 3.5%

One of my precious metals mutual funds lost over 9% today (trailing 3 month return of almost -33%! ) and with the exception of a couple of gains (muni bond fund and one surprisingly all in equities!) I'm nursing losses of around 2.5% across the board.

Luckily I bought in after the July '07 downturn, with a large injection just a few weeks ago so I'm not losing as much as I could have had I bought early last year...thank god!

I'm looking at capitalising on the low interest rates and housing market issues and buying a second property in the next few months...once I have a job!

Would be interesting to hear your experiences; have you changed strategy massively due to the market conditions of late?

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

I have tried as much as possible to avoid looking since 2000. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but I certainly look way less than I used too. I heard a long time ago that you your are better off long term leaving your investments alone rather than trying to manipulate them based on market fluctuations. That said I meet with my portfolio advisor twice a year - got one coming up in two weeks.

EDIT: Well, I just went and looked. I wish I hadn't done that

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I heard a long time ago that you your are better off long term leaving your investments alone rather than trying to manipulate them based on market fluctuations.

Indeed. Unless you know what you are doing you can lose a ton of money playing the 'hot stock of the week' game. My mother-in-law tried doing that until I recommended she speak to someone who has more experience.

I'm invested with long term investment return prospects as opposed to making a quick buck. Luckily as my wife and I are only in our mid 20s we have plenty of time to overcome the last few months.

Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

I know a couple of day traders that do well. They do their homework and research and buy right and more importantly sell at the right time. He recently bought an BMW convertible from his friend and was able to pay all cash from his week's profit in the stock market.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I know a couple of day traders that do well. They do their homework and research and buy right and more importantly sell at the right time. He recently bought an BMW convertible from his friend and was able to pay all cash from his week's profit in the stock market.

I have day traded and done well - although it didn't take much skill in the internet and tech market of 1997-1999. I turned an initial $7k into almost $95k over the course of two years using eTrade.

My retirement portfolio is another matter. I'm not going to gamble with it.

What's in my bag:

Fraser:

I did have a decent job until a few months ago but the office relocated 900 miles and I chose redundancy instead of moving.

My wife and I are just smart with our money. We had well paid jobs for our age and don't spend a ton of cash on frivolous crap. Too many of our friends try to do it all; new cars every year, mortgaged up to the hilt, eat out every night etc. We spend money on the things we like (travel primarily but I have a weakspot for nice watches and of course, golf, too) and are able to save money to invest for the future. There's no secret to it, just common sense really...

I did have a decent job until a few months ago but the office relocated 900 miles and I chose redundancy instead of moving.

Kudos. My wife and I have similar strategies and similar friends

What's in my bag:

I had a finance professor in college tell us that with any investment you don't ever lose money until you sell. Even if what you have is worth less than what you paid for it right now, you haven't lost any money unless you sell it.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I traded (not anymore) JetBlue and AA on the basis that oil would eventually go back down. Initially, I stressed when oil kept going up. Also traded some of financials and ETF shorts. It was scary looking at your day to day positions, because of the large dips.

Now I have a position, not large, but not small, in Sirius/XM, which is not looking so good as I am very much in the red.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a finance professor in college tell us that with any investment you don't ever lose money until you sell. Even if what you have is worth less than what you paid for it right now, you haven't lost any money unless you sell it.

Yep, I keep telling my wife those very words

Doesn't help that I've got the Yahoo Stock Ticker widget on our desktop though... All three main indices up at least 1.3% today

Interesting day today. Precious metals seem to have had recovered some of their massive losses...the precious metals fund I mentioned earlier gained over 11% today , on a mutual fund! I think that's the biggest one day gain on a mutual fund I've ever noticed!

I sold all of my stock positions about 5 months ago and put it all into Quest Diagnostics. As times get worse this company keeps buying out the smaller ones. I dont have time to diversify and stay on top of portfolio anymore.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

I sold all of my stock positions about 5 months ago and put it all into Quest Diagnostics. As times get worse this company keeps buying out the smaller ones. I dont have time to diversify and stay on top of portfolio anymore.

They seem an interesting company and a quick browse on Google Finance suggests they have solid performance. On principal alone though I couldn't hold just one stock position, a year ago I'd probably have said Berkshire Hathaway but they've not done too well lately.

They seem an interesting company and a quick browse on Google Finance suggests they have solid performance. On principal alone though I couldn't hold just one stock position, a year ago I'd probably have said Berkshire Hathaway but they've not done too well lately.

Ive let the rest of my money from my Ameritrade just sit in the money market account they have. I just cant get myself to keep up with stocks in this crappy market. I just follow the RBOB rack prices now for my business. Its not that I make a lot of money but save a lot.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

call me stupid but I stopped looking at the statements that come in the mail from the financial group I invest with. I am just going to ride it out. No sense in stressing myself out over it.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

call me stupid but I stopped looking at the statements that come in the mail from the financial group I invest with. I am just going to ride it out. No sense in stressing myself out over it.

This is the smart way to go about it, I feel. I have S&P; 500 and Russell 2000 stock indices in my retirement accounts, although my personal accounts aren't in these, since stock is more for long term investments.

So I'm sort of riding a roller coaster, but at 25, I have plenty of time before I can even withdraw from my 401(k) or IRA, so a drop today or tomorrow or whatever doesn't bug me too much. In fact, I'd kind of like to see it drop a bit more while I'm buying

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5702 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!