• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
ace2894

Best irons for a 10 handicap

Hey I'm a 14 year old 10 handicap and I'm looking to invest in a new set of irons. Any suggestions?

Driver: Cleveland Hibore 10.5 Aldila NV
Woods: Cleveland Launcher 3+5 wood Factory shaft
Hybrid: Cleveland Halo 22 degree factory shaft
Irons: Taylormade Supersteel 3-pw rifle shafts
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Oil Can 56+60
Putter: Never Compromise GM2-HM

Hey I'm a 14 year old 10 handicap and I'm looking to invest in a new set of irons. Any suggestions?

Are you a a good ball striker? Do you need some forgiveness? Are you looking for a workable set or no? Do you need a higher ball flight? Lower? We need more information to help you in your question for new sticks.

I Hit the ball high and I'm a pretty good ball striker .I want something a little more workable.

Okay maybe try a set with a small cavity or if you want a blade. If you want a small cavity I would suggest the Cleveland CG Red's, Titleist AP2's, or MacGregor MT Pro's. If you want blades try the Cleveland CG Tour's, Titleist ZM's, Nike Forged Blades. But one thing I would like to say is you should get over to a store and hit a bunch of irons and pick the ones that you like the most, and also get fitted for at-least the shaft flex.

If you really like Cleveland and are in the market for a slightly used set, I'd consider the Cleveland CG2. These are small cavities and they are very workable. I don't really try to work mine much (mainly high,low and the occasional hard draw), but they have very little offset and an extremely soft feel - even with DG Gold shafts. They definately have a players' look at address. You could get a great deal on these if you could find a good used set. I've never hit the CG Reds but I'm guessing they would be about the same club in the newer lineup.

At 14, and without knowing any of your financial concerns if any, i would highly recommend a very good used set vs. new. You can save yourself $200+ and get a very good quality set. Really try to find a good store or proshop and try as many as you can. This will give you a good feel for what is out there. Good Luck!

Any other opinions?

From what I've been reading in this forum and everywhere else on the net, the Mizuno MP-57's have that playability, but also forgiveness.

I tried them in the store and they are amazing. My neighbor plays the MP-60s and he's about a 2. Mizuno also came out with the MP-52s which maybe worth taking a look at. But if you want to work the ball more, MP-57s. e

Taylor Made r-7 or MP-57's if you have money that is... If you REALLY want to work your irons, find a good set of MP-33's on ebay. $250 tops. sweetest blades ever made...

I had to get new irons as an 11 handicap as a 15 year old (my Seve Slazenger's hand-me-downs were snapping in 2!) - I considered blades and could sorta hit them but some good advice was given to me - If you're going to come down in the handicap stakes - get something middle of the road first, and if you get to 5 handicap, try blades if you want. Others will disagree but I took that advice and it was the best way to lose shots for me.

Anyway - I'd be looking at AP2's, MP62/57, Ping i10, CG Reds, TM R7TP - boardering on players irons but room for forgiveness. When you get halfway to scratch, maybe go for a players iron or blade (but remember you don't have to!)

You could go with ZM, mp-67, or mp-33 if you want a blade or if you want more forgiveness try mp-57, mp-60, mp-52, mp-62, ZBs, or ap2s. Hope this helps good luck.