IGNORED

South Orange County/Mission Viejo Area

Note: This thread is 5671 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all,

I'm going to spend an a week with the family pretty soon here. They recently moved about 2 hours south of me to Mission Viejo. They did of course move into one of those "planned" gated communities with a country club, but it is minus a golf course. So I'm looking for any courses in the general area (Mission Viejo, Lake Forrest, Dana Point, Newport, Laguna, Irvine, Huntington Beach) that allow the general public to play. Thanks in advance.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

Hello all,

Rancho San Joaquin, near the UC Irvine campus. Decent track, not worth what they charge on weekends.

Shorecliffs. I've heard that Pres. Nixon used to play there. Also that the LPGA once played there. I like the course. Get a tee time at click4teetimes if you're playing on a weekday. I played 18 holes, with cart, there a few weeks ago for $12.50. A bit more expensive on weekends. Not a bad track. Hole 16 was the first time I was on the green in 2 on a par-5, but it is now a par-4. Talega . Want to spend some money? Great course! Bit pricier. Arroyo Trabuco. Great course too. Not as pricey as Talega. Your first beer costs cents equal to your score after the round (21 and over). I've once gotten them to give me an iced tea at the score rate, but not every time I'm there. Looking for executive courses?? Newport Beach course, near John Wayne. If you ignore that you're hitting off mats, it's nice. Lake Forest G&PC; is a 9-hole executive course, not worth even the weekday rate. Two par-4s, one of which isn't really a par-4 (it's barely 200 yards). Looking for a driving range? Go to Saddleback Community College. Grass and mats. Balls in good shape. Grass in good shape (especially the north end, which is closed to the public during the week). Mats in generally good shape. Beautiful range. Two ends, well over 400 yards apart. Right near a Roger Dunn too.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looking for executive courses?? Newport Beach course, near John Wayne. If you ignore that you're hitting off mats, it's nice.

We had an executive course in KC that made you hit off mats. We would literally putt off the mats then fluff our lies for our "second" shots. They tried to tell us we couldn't do that, but nothing ever happened because of us doing that. Of course you only had to do it on a few of the holes, once you got out of sight of the clubhouse you just teed up off of the tee boxes.

My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

Thanks Shindig, I have been to that Roger Dunn near Saddleback though never the range, will have to check that out for sure, it's only about 5-10 minutes from their home.

long Beach Skylinks

Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

Check out either Tijeras Creek or Arroyo Trabuco. Two decent courses.

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

I live in Ladera Ranch, immediately next to Mission Viejo. It's pretty pricey in OC versus near Simi Valley, CA where I moved from. Here's a breakdown on price and you can check out greenskeeper.org under Southern California > Orange County for course conditions. Mostly all courses just aerated. Top stand out is: Strawberry Farms

UPPER END (Around $100+)
Straberry Farms GC***(Irvine)
The Crossings (In Carlsbad - 40 min south of Mission Viejo)
Monarch Beach (where AIG just played @ the St. Regis Dana Point)

MIDDLE (Around $75)
Arroyo Trabuco (Misison Viejo)
Tijeras Creek (Rancho Santa Margarita)
Tustin Ranch (Tustin)

LOWER (Around $50)
Rancho San Joaquin (Irvine)
San Juan Hills (San Juan Capistrano)

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions. If you can't check them on Greenskeeper (which will tell you which ones were just aerated), just do a Google Search.

Best Bang For the Buck: Strawberry (high-end); Arroyo & Tijeras (mid); San Juan Hills (low)

If you have $250 to spare, I would take a drive down to Carlsbad to play Aviara or La Costa. Then again, 20 more minutes down you can play Torrey Pines in San Diego...

e

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S "B2"
R7 CGB 3 Wood Fuji S
'11 Rescue 3 Hybrid Aldila RIP S
      710 AP2: 4-PW DG300 S
      Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel 50/56/60*

Newport Beach: Ghosted

Oak Creek is a decent track as well and is in Irvine, a little on the pricey side. I've played Strawberry Farms as well but I think you can find better courses for what you pay here.

But there's a lot of courses in Southern Cal doing maintenance so check beforehand

In My Bag:
Driver: 905 9.5°, UST ProForce v2 Stiff
4-Wood: 904, 17°, Steel
Irons: 762, Steel
Wedges: Spin-Milled Vokey Oil Can 52/56/60Putter: 34" NewportBall: HX Tour

That's right about Oak Creek. It's a sister course of Pelican Hill. I found Oak Creek just ok because the layout wasn't impressive or anything for the money. I've been dreaming of playing at Pelican one day.

But can't go wrong with Arroyo & Tijeras as both are on the hill edges, so the views are beautiful and the layouts are not too easy/not too tough...

R7 CGB 3 Wood Fuji S

San Clemente Muni is a fun course for around $40.

http://greenskeeper.org/southern_cal...e_Golf_Course/

Mile Square in Fountain Valley has 2 18-hole courses that are pretty good for $40-$50.

http://greenskeeper.org/southern_cal...e_Golf_Course/

Coyote Hills in Fullerton offers some dramatic elevation changes and nice views for around $90. Their greens are in great condition right now, I played there yesterday.

http://greenskeeper.org/southern_cal...s_Golf_Course/

Discount green fees: http://www.click4teetimes.com

Thanks to everybody I will jopefully check one of these out in the next two weeks at least.

long Beach Skylinks

Thanks to everybody I will jopefully check one of these out in the next two weeks at least.

Ya goodluck and let us know how it goes.

R7 CGB 3 Wood Fuji S

Note: This thread is 5671 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!