IGNORED

Obama Won!

Grndslmhttr3
Note: This thread is 5641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bring a different standpoint to this argument.

I know what you're saying here but the "Bush is an idiot!", "We need change!" argument is a strong one. This was a big part of why Blair got in with a big landslide over here in '97; it gets such that it's "Anyone but the lot that are in!". You're right about saying "But what are his policies??" but you're forgetting majority human nature. The other thing the Republicans may need to address is the change thing re. their party. It took the Tories (Conservatives) over here 2 terms to realise that they had to move on and harking back to the past wasn't getting them anywhere. I'm sure the Republicans over your way won't take as long as that to get their act together.

Misty- He might be really good at reading speeches, but his conversation skills lack.. (i cant remember for the life of me, i think it was maine..) that the coal industry is a very big thing there, lots of profit taht is, and he told the people there, out side of his speech that he was going to cut down on the coal industry..

Being able to deliver a speech

well is fantastically important. He can persuade people to his point of view without them knowing he's done it (more or less). As for the conversation thing, I'm not sure his conversational ability per se was a problem. Telling a coal mining state that he's going to downgrade coal mining up their way may be risky politically but I doubt he had problems explaining it in a conversation in an eloquent fashion. I imagine he is telling them this for political reasons, however unpalatable. Environment issues?
I just hope that he is bright enough to surround himself with smart people, i.e., his Cabinet appointments.

Indeed. I'm sure he is. One thing that Dubya screwed up was allowing himself to be surrounded by so many arrogant Neocons. They were smart (intellectually) but boy were they dumb in other ways. Maybe time for some intelligent

statesmen ?
Now look what youve gone and done,Abdul down the Kebab house is getting all above imself,finks he's gonna be the next Prime Minister.I tried to explain to im that it dosnt work like that in the UK.First youve got to go to Oxford or Cambridge,have gay sex and join the student union.Be the worst debater in the class and drink loads of cheap beer and throw up every Friday.

You have a (minor) point, but you're exaggerating. Say what you like about Blair et al but no-one could call him and his ilk thick. Misguided yes, but thick no.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done kfowler - love that movie, but "The Meaning of Life" and "The Life of Brian" have to be my favorites.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

When this was announced, did anyone else think that this may help pave the way for a future President Woods?

tiger, imo, is way too wild off the tee to be considered a viable candidate for the white house

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

You have a (minor) point, but you're exaggerating. Say what you like about Blair et al but no-one could call him and his ilk thick. Misguided yes, but thick no.[/QUOTE]

If you couldn't see my post was tonge in cheek what chance have our friends across the pond got? (note to self,talk American). As for that liebour rabble they all need locking up for treason

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

And I hope we get the old John McCain back, a man who I truly admired;

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081105/ap_on_el_pr/mccain

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

tiger, imo, is way too wild off the tee to be considered a viable candidate for the white house

Obama is a 14 handicap, I believe. But he could be more accurate off the tee.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I don't know. Hawaii is pretty windy.....

long Beach Skylinks

Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

Well, he certainly made a lot of promises to the people. This should be fun to watch.

Taylormade R7 460
Lynx Parallax 15 Degree
Nickent 3DX Ironwood 18 degree
Callaway X-18's
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56 degreeOdyssey Black Series No. 1

That's awesome! I could play him straight up Bond/Goldfinger style. Haha

ultimately it was obama's being a golfer that tipped the scales and got him my vote. like i am sure many of us here, the economy, healthcare or the wars in iraq and afghanistan all play second fiddle to golf and so having an obama presidency i feel will be good for the game.

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Hope he does well. He wasn't my choice, but let's see what he can do.

I feel the same way.

This is a mature and insightful statement. Rather than rejecting Obama fully, Smallville (if I read his post correctly) is giving the President-elect a "temporary mandate" of sorts so that Obama has a chance to do good for the country; in other words, Smallville has placed the interests of his country above his own political interests. It's refreshing to hear someone with this opinion in today's extreme partisanship.

We are Americans first, the election is over and soon it will be time to govern. But today we give props to the President Elect and those that voted for him. This is your day to enjoy and I don't begrudge you that, congratulations....... and ditto Smallville...... jmoc

He was my choice.

All these comments toward Smallville piss me off! (This is not directed at your Smallville) How dare the liberals of this country congratulate conservatives for accepting Barack Obama as our president. These same liberals who showed up in mass to protest George Bush's inaugurations in 2001 and 2005. These same liberals who immediately started criticizing and driving around with those "He's not my president" bumper stickers. I love this country and sincerely hope Barack Obama is able move it in the right direction. But, as far as getting compliments from the Democrats that could not do the same for us 8 and 4 years ago. I can do without them.

No offense to anyone here - particularly Smallville - but this reminds me of Chris Rock's piece about "getting credit for things you're supposed to do." What the heck would you expect a normal American to say? "I didn't vote for him, so I'm pissed and our country is going into ruins?" That'd be stupid. I'd respect that person less.

DITTO!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Why would one assume that those who commented on the positive attributes of Smallvilles comments are liberal? Perhaps they are conservatives who admire the sentiment and were feeling downtrodden and have decided to adapt the sentiment for themselves. Either you are very bitter or read way too much into the comments by others. At any rate I'm sure they couldn't care less about your poor attitude toward their comments.

long Beach Skylinks

Why would one assume that those who commented on the positive attributes of Smallvilles comments are liberal? Perhaps they are conservatives who admire the sentiment and were feeling downtrodden and have decided to adapt the sentiment for themselves. Either you are very bitter or read way too much into the comments by others. At any rate I'm sure they couldn't care less about your poor attitude toward their comments.

First to any and all non complaining liberals I am sorry if i misspoke.

Now as to my bitterness, you are right I am bitter. I am bitter that all these liberals are talking about bringing the country together and healing when it was their actions in 2004 that divided this country in the first place. Liberals never gave GWB a chance. From the first day of his second term in office they refused to support him at all. I am not going to sit here and tell you he did not make mistakes, but Obama will too. I am not bitter about Obama's victory. No I voted against him but I can see an upside to his presidency. One upside is that republicans will accept him or at least not go out of our way to tear him down. The country will heal because we will not be out there protesting him from the get go. I guess we as republicans have too much to do other than protesting and sticking "he's not my president" bumper stickers on our cars. We all have to get up and go to work. But enough of this I am done. He's the president, good for him. Back to golf.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

Now as to my bitterness, you are right I am bitter. I am bitter that all these liberals are talking about bringing the country together and healing when it was their actions in 2004 that divided this country in the first place. Liberals never gave GWB a chance. From the first day of his second term in office they refused to support him at all. I am not going to sit here and tell you he did not make mistakes, but Obama will too.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I'm entitlled to think you are 100% wrong about who divided the nation.

George Bush was elected both times with the slimmest of margins, in fact, in 2000 he lost the popular vote and there was lot of dispute about the electoral vote. If you'll recall for the first time in history, the supreme court decided the election. He promised to be a uniter and not a divider and then proceeded to govern as if he had a mandate. Despite this, he had a honeymoon that lasted almost his ENTIRE first term. We had been viciously attacked and both the media and the American people gave him a pass on much that should have been challenged. Who are you saying divided this country? Please.
One upside is that republicans will accept him or at least not go out of our way to tear him down. The country will heal because we will not be out there protesting him from the get go. I guess we as republicans have too much to do other than protesting and sticking "he's not my president" bumper stickers on our cars. We all have to get up and go to work.

You've got to be kidding. Go check the conservative blogs - the ugliness began before the election was called.

Crap like this was available, I kid you not, by 9pm on election eve: http://shop.cafepress.com/obama+not+...FQXGsgodK1sCOg There's LOTS more, NM Golf.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

First to any and all non complaining liberals I am sorry if i misspoke.

You have got to be kidding. Were you alive during the Clinton '90s? That was the epitome of one side immediately conspiring to derail a presidency from the outset. There is tons of supportive literature, including from the inside. Republicans had come to view the presidency as their own personal play toy, convinced they had a lock on the electoral college, and were frenzied at Bill Clinton for proving otherwise. Read David Brock's, "Blinded by the Right." It is beyond startling. He was part of the vast right wing conspiracy and details every bit of it, including former solicitor general Ted Olson's role. Literally every decision for years was designed to smear and destroy Clinton and his allies, regardless of any shred of truth. You'll recognize names of current and former conservative pundits and politicians, all with the same disgusting agenda.

This is how polarizing it was: In 1993 every single Republican in both chambers voted against Clinton's budget act. This despite heavy recommendation from Alan Greenspan. The bill passed both chambers by exactly 1 vote. There are many delicious quotes from Gingrich and others, asserting the bill would destroy the economy and basically topple the nation. Uh, I seem to remember widespread prosperity and surplus as far as the eye could see. It was the ultimate hilarity later in that decade when Republicans were desperately crediting Greenspan for the economic surge, comfortably ignoring that all 200+ of them had rejected Greenspan's related advice in 1993. It was like a parody. I was laughing at so many co-workers it was like a daily treat. Regarding Bush, all I can say is if your side "lost" a presidential election like 2000 you would understand the frustration, bordering on disbelief and outrage. I'm friends with enough Republicans to have learned you simply can't assess the situation from the other side. The GOP view is Bush led narrowly but legitimately on election night and for a month merely fought off relentless and unfair attempts to reverse, i.e., steal it. The Democratic view is Gore rightfully won by literally tens of thousands of votes in Florida, but a series of bizarre, nearly impossible in combination, and outrageous if not illegal acts combined to narrowly deny the true will of the people. Let me say I always believed it was as much of a forfeit as theft. Democratic voters spoiled their ballots in all 17 counties with the punch card or butterfly ballots. And yes, it was a full 17 counties. The Florida ballot had 10 presidential choices that year. It was 3 more than any other state. That simple fact alone created the George Bush presidency. There is zero chance Bush would have been president if Florida had 8 or fewer presidential options. The 10 names forced 17 counties to alter their normal ballot layout. Instead of a single page, they split the presidential vote to two pages, and in Palm Beach it inspired the infamous butterfly. If voters picked someone on page two from the unfamiliar lesser names, it negated their intended vote on page one. Both sides had spoilage due to the confusing designs, but Democrats had considerably more. Every post-election media count that included the spoiled overvotes revealed Gore would have won by comparatively huge margin, up to 52,000. It was only the undervotes that made it close, with dispute either way depending on the counting criteria. Obviously Gore could not retrieve the overvotes so the recount focused solely on undervotes. But for Democrats it was unbearably unnerving that a rightful tame victory had deteriorated to a likely razor tight defeat. I haven't even focused on the tens of thousands of illegally purged voters prior to the election, or Katherine Harris making every secretary of state decision based on pure partisanship, or the Supreme Court ultimately doing the same, 5 justices disgracefully violating every states rights belief they had ever emphasized, essentially inventing an equal protection rationale out of thin air to halt the Florida recount. It's always comical to hear Scalia dismiss that verdict with a "get over it already." He has no idea how history will judge himself or the other four who agreed. They will be infamous in legal terms for literally centuries and beyond. Anyway, that's the left's view of the Bush presidency. I never fully accepted him as legit, and that aspect exponentially added to the frustration as he proved increasingly pathetic. I've read every word of the Patrick Fitzgerald case against Scooter Libby, including Cheney's illegal involvement. I'm convinced the overwhelming majority of Americans have no idea the depths of this administration. Read Scott McClellan's book. Or Richard Clarke's. Or Bob Woodward's "State of Denial." John Dean's "Worse than Watergate." It's comical to assert Bush wasn't given a chance. The media looked the other way during the decision to invade Iraq. Judith Miller of the New York Times allowed herself to be the vehicle for the administration, printing bogus stories they planted with her, then Bush pundits would quote from those same stories on the Sunday talk shows. In coming years and decades even more details will emerge. We've only heard a fraction. Colin Powell admits he was used to give false testimony to the United Nations. Bush was elected legitimately in 2004. I never questioned that. Democrats who screamed theft were moronic. Early exit polls are garbage, with a known Democratic slant. Wow, that's my last message board essay on George W. Bush. Gone in 70 days.

...It's comical to assert Bush wasn't given a chance. The media looked the other way during the decision to invade Iraq. Judith Miller of the New York Times allowed herself to be the vehicle for the administration, printing bogus stories they planted with her, then Bush pundits would quote from those same stories on the Sunday talk shows. In coming years and decades even more details will emerge. We've only heard a fraction. Colin Powell admits he was used to give false testimony to the United Nations...

Totally agree. President Bush's approval ratings right after 9/11 were at 90% (myself included)!!!! Granted, it was a time of crisis and these numbers tend to spike in times of war...but he currently is the approval ratings record holder for any President in the history of the United States - so please spare me the B.S. that we didn't give Bush a chance. He simply squandered it with his obvious stupidity in much of what he does.

As for now - its pretty much at a record low in recent history. I need not explain the reasons because we ALL know the truth - I know you're not stupid...now - watch this drive. Edit - actually, just read the above post ;)

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Who are you saying divided this country? Please.

My opinion is that republicans in general will be much easier on Obama than the liberals were on Bush. At least from the start. Are you kidding me? When was the last time you saw a bunch of right wingers standing on a street corner with signs protesting something. Conservatives RARELY protest anything. Its just not what we do. Like I have said many times before conservatives are too busy working to protest anything.

Although with crap like the Dems already eyeing the possibility of socializing 401k plans I might have to protest. Obama's not even in office yet and this crap has begun.

Note: This thread is 5641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!