IGNORED

Obama Won!

Grndslmhttr3
Note: This thread is 5642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

the ironic outcome of all this is, 95% African Americans voted for Obama, why is that? many of whom had never even voted before, was it his message/promises of the world, stars, moon etc.....hmm......or was it his color? that is a question well worth pondering imho......true many voted because they believed his theories, but more then not they voted simply because of race....slice it, cut it, fold it any way you would like but the truth remains this nation is still divided and will be when it come to race....sad thing is it's a part of life that seems not to be able to be removed....

+1. This is why Obama is the new president. If you think otherwise, you're in denial.

2010 Staff Bag
2010 S2 Driver - Stiff - (-.5")
2010 S2 3 Wood - Stiff
2010 Baffler TWS Hybrids 3 & 4
2010 MP-58 5-PW Irons - (+.5") 2010 MP-T10 Black Satin 52° - 56° - 60° - (+.5") 2009 Black Carbon 2 Putter Winn Grip e6Photos of my bag Golf Galaxy Wisconsin Amateur Tour PlayerGolf...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1. This is why Obama is the new president. If you think otherwise, you're in denial.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

If you think that a really marginal increase in African-American turnout compared to previous elections alone caused an 8-million-vote swing and did McCain in, then you're the one in denial. If you're really looking for minority to blame everything on, at least have the good sense to go after Latinos, who really did make a difference in Florida, Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Gore got 90%, Kerry got 88%. Those votes certainly weren't due to race, because those dudes are really, really white. So maybe 5% of the black electorate voted strictly on race, but how many whites voted against him because he's black? He won, fair and square, against some formidable opponents. His campaign was a work of genius. He was playing chess while the Republicans were playing checkers.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

i'm white. i voted obama.

he won because he's black.

2010 Staff Bag
2010 S2 Driver - Stiff - (-.5")
2010 S2 3 Wood - Stiff
2010 Baffler TWS Hybrids 3 & 4
2010 MP-58 5-PW Irons - (+.5") 2010 MP-T10 Black Satin 52° - 56° - 60° - (+.5") 2009 Black Carbon 2 Putter Winn Grip e6Photos of my bag Golf Galaxy Wisconsin Amateur Tour PlayerGolf...

I'm not black and I voted Obama. And the more I hear this, the more I wonder how much of the victory that gets credited to his skin color is because of his ability to convince conservative Republicans - guys like me - that he would better represented their views and desires in Washington than John McCain would.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And I applaud you for that, but the reason you're offering as the only cause of Obama's victory doesn't stand up to the facts. There was an 11.5-million-vote swing between Obama's margin of victory and Bush's margin of victory in 2004. The Democratic candidate saw a net gain of 5.7 million African-American voters against the Republican candidate from four years ago, but also a 4.7-million-vote net gain from white voters, and 3.1 million from Latinos. The Democratic candidate also saw a 6.8-million-vote net gain from both men and women voters. Any of those groups (and many more that I didn't choose to break down using the exit poll data) would have erased the 3,012,166 votes that Bush finished ahead of Kerry in '04. No one group helped Obama win this election on their own.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I think Jon was alluding to the fact that Obama was attractive to many different demographics, and part of that appeal was that he had the whole "post racial" thing (and I know, I hate that phrase too), or maybe that Obama wouldn't have gotten the national attention so early in his career if he was white. I think both of those things are true. I think it would fair to say that he did capitalize on those factors. Personally I want a President who takes every fair advantage he can get, so I'm good with it.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Obviously being an Englishman I could not vote in your election but it seems to me that Obama won because he promises hope that things can change for the better for all people . He engaged much more empathetically with swing voters of all persuassions and races. His team also seemed to rely less on the rather the rather demeaning negative campaigning undertaken by the republicans which it seems to me always smacks of a party that fears the message of its opponents and so attacks the character.

lastly Macain doomed himself when he chose Palin to be his running mate I would have thought all but the most die hard reublicans thought twice about the idea of her becoming president in the event of the Mcains demise.

Sure some people voted for Obama because he is black but many people voted for Macian because he is white and some people will always vote this way but in my opinion more people voted because of the content of Obamas character than the colour of his skin and I applaud them for doing so .

• Administrator
And I applaud you for that, but the reason you're offering as the only cause of Obama's victory doesn't stand up to the facts. There was an 11.5-million-vote swing between Obama's margin of victory and Bush's margin of victory in 2004. The Democratic candidate saw a net gain of 5.7 million African-American voters against the Republican candidate from four years ago, but also a 4.7-million-vote net gain from white voters, and 3.1 million from Latinos. The Democratic candidate also saw a 6.8-million-vote net gain from both men and women voters. Any of those groups (and many more that I didn't choose to break down using the exit poll data) would have erased the 3,012,166 votes that Bush finished ahead of Kerry in '04. No one group helped Obama win this election on their own.

Though I don't care at this point to get into it, that's an all-too-simple re-telling of how we actually vote in this country. The popular vote doesn't determine the winner, so any math involving moving entire masses of popular votes around is relatively pointless.

For example, a state like California could gain 10M new Democratic voters without having any effect at all on the last few elections.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm not black and I voted Obama. And the more I hear this, the more I wonder how much of the victory that gets credited to his skin color is because of his ability to convince conservative Republicans - guys like me - that he would better represented their views and desires in Washington than John McCain would.

John who?

Honestly guys - if Obama had lost, everyone would be screaming "BLOODY RACISM" anyway. Get over it.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

For example, a state like California could gain 10M new Democratic voters without having any effect at all on the last few elections.

They would gain electoral votes while the states they came from would lose elctoral votes. Just 3 more could have changed the 2000 election. Not that 10 million more population would have gotten them 3 more electoral votes, but just an example.

My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

They would gain electoral votes while the states they came from would lose elctoral votes. Just 3 more could have changed the 2000 election. Not that 10 million more population would have gotten them 3 more electoral votes, but just an example.

I think he meant that 10M people could vote Democrat in California, either from previously undecided/unvoting or previous voting Republican, not that 10M people would move here. An extra 10M people voting Democrat here in the presidential race wouldn't have affected the outcome, but it would have affected the total popular vote count.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
I think he meant that 10M people could vote Democrat in California, either from previously undecided/unvoting or previous voting Republican, not that 10M people would move here. An extra 10M people voting Democrat here in the presidential race wouldn't have affected the outcome, but it would have affected the total popular vote count.

Yeah. I didn't mean people moving, just that you can't say someone would have won or lost an election based on the popular vote.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, I realized that when I read it better! Besides, why would 10 million people move to California!? LMAO
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I personally did not vote for either President-Elect Obama or Senator Mccain. I thought it was very sad that these were the best 2 candidates that we chose. But, since Barack Obama was elected I will support him since he is, after all, the soon to be President of the United States. He is not just the President for a certain group of people or for the Democrats of the United States. He is President for all Americans. I hope he can resolve some of the problems in Washington that he brought up in his campaign.

What I play:
Titleist 905R 7.5* w/ Graphite Design YS-6+
Titleist 906F2 15* w/ Aldilla NVS 75s
Titleist 690mb (2-pw) w/ Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey spin milled 54* 60* wedges Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Heavy Titleist ProV1x ball

I think Jon was alluding to the fact that Obama was attractive to many different demographics, and part of that appeal was that he had the whole "post racial" thing (and I know, I hate that phrase too), or maybe that Obama wouldn't have gotten the national attention so early in his career if he was white. I think both of those things are true. I think it would fair to say that he did capitalize on those factors. Personally I want a President who takes every fair advantage he can get, so I'm good with it.

He might not have gotten the same attention were he white, but I think it's seriously delusional to claim that it was somehow easier for him to win the election because he was not white. Maybe he got attention, but the hurdles he had to overcome were much higher as a result.

Look, politics are complicated. He did not win because he's black. He won because of an array of factors, of which his race was merely one. There have been prominent black politicians involved in presidential races in the past; if it were all about race, why did none of them even make it as nominee of a major party? (by the way, glebert, I'm not arguing with you specifically, just quoting your post because it was relevant)

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 5642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!