IGNORED

What makes a golf course 'great'?

PiKapp23
Note: This thread is 5667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What makes a course 'great' to you?

• Looks
    • Variety
    • Playability
    • Intangibles/Other
    • It takes all of these to make a course great for me

When talking to other golfers I often hear them talk about some 'great' golf course or another. It makes me think about what it is that makes a golf course great. I think for most people, the following 4 'elements' are what golfers use to define a course a great or not:

I: Looks
Is the course pleasing to the eye? Scenic? From the tee boxes to the greens, is the course itself attractive and well maintained? Think along the lines of a Pebble Beach or Augusta National. These courses are obviously beautiful. I'm always looking for courses where the views of both the course itself and the surrounding area is attractiive. I hate houses on the course and dislike when holes are built too close together. Obviously, I love beautiful courses, but this is not my top criteria for 'great'.

II: Variety
How is the course layed out? Are the holes similar or is each hole different from the last? I like to see courses that have long holes, short holes, doglegs in both directions, elevation changes and a different view on each hole (kind of goes back to 'looks' criteria a little bit). I want to have to look at the hole and decide what I need to do on that hole to play it well. This is a very important element for me.

III: Playability
Is the course playable for everyone (or at least all golfers with at least a certain level of skill)? I want a course that can be played by most players, but still provide challenge to them. A course should have some risk-reward holes, but still provide players with multiple options on how to get the ball to the hole. Difficult holes should give lesser players (or those wanting to play safe) an option (a big example is forced carries). Good shots should be rewarded, bad shots/decisions should be punished at least to some degree. Blind shots and uneven fairways should be limited as these elements often punish even the best shots). Playability is a critical part of what I look for in a great course.

IV: Intangibles
What's the clubhouse like? Does course have nice warm-up/practice facilities? Customer service good? Pace of play? Cost? Playing options? Beverage cart? Caddies available? These are all things that supplement the course and for some they are as important as the golf itself. At this time, these things are less important to me than other elements. As I get older, though, I may find these are the type of things that affect my thinking about a course. However, these are sometimes what takes a course from very good to great even in my opinion.

For me, what really makes a course great is the total golf experience. I want to feel totally immersed in the course, the scenery and the game. If I have completely forgotten everything but that experience until I walk off the 18th tee, then it's a great course.

What do you think? Do you have some other criteria for what makes a course great?
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I'm not sure what makes a course great to me... But I do know what I dislike. Some courses around here are just really slow every time I go out. Guaranteed slow pace of play is the way to keep me away. Further, the course markets itself "home of the 4 hour round." So far I haven't come too close... it ranges between 4.5-5+ hours. What really irritates me is they are the only course that puts up signs everywhere "warning" about keeping pace of play. Funny huh?

I also like courses that look kempt. They don't have to be beautful... but I've been to a few that were just really run down looking.

So to me:

1) Overall Pace of play.
2) Look of the grass/greens.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

im with you on this... i want to be 'into' the round im playing at the time... the whole zen thing... its one of the reasons i love to play... there were plenty of places to play in san diego and san diego itself is of course a vacation hotspot... but you'd be surprised at how many dogtracks there were if you just wanted to hit balls into holes... thats why torrey pines is so famous because the view of the pacific from the cliffs an the occasional hangglider from the gliderport just south of the course is amazing... alot of ppl ive played with and lots of friends of mine dont take these things into consideration... some due to budget... location... time constraints... they just wanna knock balls into holes regardless of what condition the dogtrack they are playing is in... im less into the game an dont enjoy it as much as playing on a well maintained course with great conditions on a beautiful day
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I voted for Intangibles/Other jus because I hate slow play, and that plauges Vegas.

But I think there should have been a stand alone catagory for Condition/Upkeep and I would have voted for that. I would rather play an average course as far as variety and sightseeing thats in great condition without Ground under Repair everywhere and ball marks all over the green. As opposed to a course with fantastic views that the upkeep is sub par on.

Living in LV Ive played some of the super premium courses Reflection Bay, The Falls, TPC Las Vegas when they were killing the course to overseed but still letting people out and its not even fun

Clubs I havent thrown in a lake yet

Driver: R7 CGB max 9.5*
Woods: R5 3, and 5 woods
Hybrids: Rescue Burner 22*, 25*Irons: CG Red 6 - PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: 1 of 100 handmade pebble beach http://scottycameronblog.com/2007/09...pebble-beach/#Vegas golf sucks!!

I'm not sure what makes a course great to me... But I do know what I dislike. Some courses around here are just really slow every time I go out. Guaranteed slow pace of play is the way to keep me away. Further, the course markets itself "home of the 4 hour round." So far I haven't come too close... it ranges between 4.5-5+ hours. What really irritates me is they are the only course that puts up signs everywhere "warning" about keeping pace of play. Funny huh?

i got to agree with you on this,pace of play is a big thing with our group,good course for me is good pace of play,tight fairways and nice rolled fast greens.And somewhat of a challenge also.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Pace of play is huge. Texas summer-frequency of water supply (either fountains or jugs). Cart girls.

things I hate.
Blind tee shots, forced lay ups on par 5s or long par 4s off the tee, ball in fairway but tree branches blocking second shot to green.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Note: This thread is 5667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!