IGNORED

Tiger's irons

Pl0we
Note: This thread is 5589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dont know how trut it ever was, but I heard from more than one location over the years, that Tiger used Mizuno blades painted like Nikes

Actually, mizuno does not have a factory where they make their irons. They do have a factory that produces the irons for them. Tiger irons come from the same factory, so people assume that tigers irons are from mizuno but with nike stamp on it

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

I've not read the entire thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned already. When I watched the "Tee it up With Tiger" shows on TGC, they mentioned the VR irons and I'm pretty sure Tiger claimed to have had these in the bag during the US Open. I would have to watch the episodes again to confirm that. But he and Anthony Kim, both said they (The VR's are in the bag now).

what he actually said was he was the 1st person to win with ONE of the new VR's in his bag (it was a wedge. not the blades)....

• Administrator
Again, he has a 13 club, full apparel and footwear contract. That one club he doesn't have is Nike is his Cameron, hence a 13 club contract not 14. It's not that hard to figure out the big outline of the contract.

You're quite likely wrong. I've heard from sources I believe are quite reputable (as reputable as it gets given the subject matter and not being named "Tiger Woods") that Tiger's contract says he can play pretty much anything.

The fact that he has a multi-$M R&D; department committed to him at Nike simply means that he's awfully likely (read: 99.999%) to find what he likes at Nike, since they can build whatever he likes. In the end: who cares? Play what suits you best, not what suits Tiger Woods best.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're quite likely wrong. I've heard from sources I believe are quite reputable (as reputable as it gets given the subject matter and not being named "Tiger Woods") that Tiger's contract says he can play pretty much anything.

I agree here and I remember seeing an interview in which tiger and the head of nike golf at the time (forgot the name) were discussing tigers partnership with nike in which tiger stated he is not required to use nike clubs. In fact for a period of time he still used his titleist driver for a period of time when he was unsatisfied with the ones nike were producing. Tiger uses nike gear because that is where he gets the millions of dollars of r&d; working with him personally.

the reason he uses so much nike equipment is because he gets a cut of the profits from selling nike gear (apparel and equipment) this was confirmed by tigers agent, mark steinberg during his contract extension back in '06. You can still look up the news stories confirming this. So, yes tiger can use whatever he wants, but he has a vested interest in promoting nike equipment and fueling nike sales as he sees a direct cut of the profits. Seriously though, its not that big of a deal, but I do think it is a stretch to say that nike dosent have the ability to make irons that satisfy tiger considering how much money they pump into r&d; so he pursues other manufacturers to make his irons.

In my freestyle:
Driver: 10.5* G5 with UST V2
F.W. wood: 16* retro raylor with Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold
Irons: i5 3-pw. Stiff cs lite shafts
Wedges: 8620 51*, 56*, and 60* Putter: classics 1 34""Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Tiger has always had the upper hand in any negotiation because he has never been more concerned with money than his overall goal beating Jack's records. If Nike would have told him he had to play their clubs he would have walked out the door. Money has never been the object of his drive or ambition. It is important, but not more important than winning majors.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Watch the youtube videos of Tiger giving away Buicks. That's clearly a Vokey wedge. Not a Nike. Not a Muira...
pause it at 43 seconds in...

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

• Administrator
Watch the youtube videos of Tiger giving away Buicks. That's clearly a Vokey wedge. Not a Nike. Not a Muira...

You do realize how old that video is, right?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You do realize how old that video is, right?

Yes I do. The video is from 2003. Woods has been with Nike since 1996, and renegociated in 2000 and 2006.

My point was to show that Tiger uses what he wants. What was your point?

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

• Administrator
My point was to show that Tiger uses what he wants.

That it's quite old and thus things could have potentially (and likely have) changed. Duh.

Tiger won't play anything that he doesn't believe in 110% so if he does have them in the bag, they will sell very well. If he doesn't they are not going to be as popular.

Driver: Tour Burner
3wood: speed ld
Hybrid: Slingshot
Irons: AP2
Putter: Rossa monte carlo 7

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't Muria forge irons for many customer companies to that customer's specifications? If so does it make those irons the customers or Muria's? Doesn't much matter to me, it's what the player does with those irons that counts. I don't care who made them, I just wish I could use them like Tiger does.

R5 TP
3 & 7 Woods (old Steelheads)
MP52's STX "UR the Key" Putter (black insert)Pro V1 and NXT Tour

• 2 weeks later...
Like was said before it has been stated that Tiger does not have to use Nike clubs. That is a fact.

It's obvious that his drive to win majors is more important than the money(otherwise he would play every tournament).

Although as was said, because of Nike's resources they can make clubs that are just as good or better than anybody else's clubs.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Although as was said, because of Nike's resources they can make clubs that are just as good or better than anybody else's clubs.

Miura is not really a brand because it is a the name of the man whose foundry do the best forgings. Miura and Endo (do most of Titleist's forgings) are known for their forging process and it's consistency. Why would he play Titleist clubs stamped with a Nike symbol when he could play Nike clubs stamped with a Nike logo.They aren't Titleist clubs until they are stamped Titleist and that has nothing to do with the construction of the clubhead. Titleist doesn't have exclusive rights to Miura or Endo forging. Now if he wanted the grain flow forging which is probably patented by Mizuno then he would have to get around that to get a Nike stamp on them but I'm sure the people who do their forging could come up with a deal to Grain flow forge a set of Nike irons. Miura and Endo make exclusive clubs for just about every major manufacturer so they aren't a brand technically. Anybody with the bankroll could design some golf clubs and have them Miura or Endo forged. It's just gonna cost you.

I'm not sure what that has to do with my post?

I was just making the point that Nike has access to the exact same forging foundries that everyone else does so why would they have to fake clubs and I just used your point and expanded on it.

Note: This thread is 5589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!