IGNORED

Getting Loose

alexlax12
Note: This thread is 6587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have made it part of my ruitine, before teeing off, to go to the range and hit some balls, just to warm up, get the muscles loose. Well for my High School away matches I dont have that luxury. Because we take a bus, and dont get to use the range at away facilities (if they even have one), I find it hard to get up on that first tee and make a confident swing, being as its the first of the day. Anyway I was thinking of maybe getting a momentus, or other form of weighted club to swing with before my matches, that way I can at least get loose...Any suggestions???Thanks.
Northeastern University Golf Team

In Play:
Driver - Titleist 905R 9.5*/Aldila NV 75sFairway Wood - Titleist 904f 14.5*Dynamic Gold S300Hybrid - Cleveland Halo 2Iron(19*)Irons - Titleist 735cm(stainless)/Dynamic Gold S300 (Bent +0.5 degrees upright, +1.0 degrees strong) Wedges - Callaway...

My coaches and other professional teachers have said, stretch properly for 20minutes and consistency is not a problem. The type of stretching is static or 30 secs hold. Make sure you get your lower back, arms and hams, and calfs. also don't crack your knuckes, pull your wrists and your ankles. If flexible, to a high knee kick and hold for 20 seconds(don't do if your not flexible, people can get seriously injured). Thats what people have told me is the key of "getting loose"

Since your still young,you can can start by with stretching before teeing off. knee bends and turning the upper body to stretch those muscles. can start when your on the bus ride to the course also and while standing in line to tee off.
Can buy weighted swing bags the slip on your club to help and you don't have to carry another club around with you.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

I picked up a book called Golf Flex, The Complete Workout (10 minutes a day to better play) by Paul Frediani. Do the 15 or so stretching exercises before you play and your muscles will be ready to go. If you do the exercises right you should be plenty warmed up and on the verge of starting to break a sweat.

• 3 weeks later...
Stretching is a must, but a weighted club works well for me.

I made one out of an old cavity back 4-iron that I had laying around.

First, I removed the grip. Then I filled the shaft about halfway with lead powder and secured it with a shaft cork and some epoxy. Then I just about filled the cavity of the head with lead tape. On my swingweight scale, it would probably weigh in at about an L-1 or so.
Then I just threw a new grip on it and Voila!

It works better than swinging two or three clubs together because I can make an actual swing and I don't have to worry about holding on to two or more clubs.

It's a simple, inexpensive, (some lead powder, some tape, a cork and a grip), way to make a weighted club, and it sure beats spending a hundred bucks on a Momentus which, in my opinion, is basically the same thing. I might even get one of those training grips to put on it, but for now, the regular grip is fine.
My Bag:

Driver: Golfsmith Compressor 400, 9-deg., Aldila NV75-X
3 Wood: Golfsmith Viper 15-deg., Aldila NV85-X
Hybrid:(2) Golfsmith Quick Strike Tour, 21,18-deg., YS-9.1+Irons: Golfsmith 600-B Forged Blades, 2-PW, TT X-100, All Soft-stepped/Lofts 2-deg. upright.Wedges: Golfsmith 52, Cleveland 56,...

I started using a Momentus this spring - great warmup tool. Before hitting balls I'll stretch my legs and then use the Momentus, slowly at first, to stretch out my arms. I like working with it on the range too, 10 Momentus swings, 10 range balls - it seems to be helping me groove things.

Did I read that weighted sticks are now permissible to use during tournament play? Would the Momentus count or does it's training grip throw it out?

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

• Administrator
Did I read that weighted sticks are now permissible to use during tournament play? Would the Momentus count or does it's training grip throw it out?

The training grip throws it out. You could regript it, and then you can use something like the Momentus as one of your 14 clubs. In other words, if it meets the criteria and rules for a club (after you change the grip, as you know that's not legal), there's no rule on weight for irons or drivers, so you're all set.

For a second I was thinking you meant the Medicus (I had Medicus and Momentus mixed up in my head), and clearly that's not legal. It has a hinge.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The training grip throws it out. You could regript it, and then you can use something like the Momentus as one of your 14 clubs. In other words, if it meets the criteria and rules for a club (after you change the grip, as you know that's not legal), there's no rule on weight for irons or drivers, so you're all set.

This was the '06 decision I was trying to remember:

14-3/10.5 Use of Stretching Devices Q. Rule 14-3a prohibits a player, during a stipulated round, from using any artificial device or unusual equipment that “might assist him in making a stroke or in his play.” Would the use of a stretching device during a stipulated round be a breach of Rule 14-3? A. During a stipulated round, it is permissible to use a device designed for stretching unless the device is designed specifically to be used in a golf swing and is used during a golf swing (see Decision 14-3/10). For example, the following stretching devices may be used: + Items designed specifically for golf but not used in a golf swing (e.g., a bar to place across the shoulders); + Items designed for general stretching (e.g., rubber tubing); and + Items not originally designed for stretching (e.g., a section of pipe).

So I guess the implication here is that something like the SpeedStick, something clearly not usable to hit a ball but intended to be used as a swing trainer, would not be permissible, even though it might also be used for stretching. But a Momentus would be permissible (sans training grip) because it conforms with Rule 4 so long as it is counted among your 14 clubs?

Looks like the safe way to go is leave all your training devices in the trunk...

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I've been toying around with a new pre-round warm-up routine lately, seems to work quite nicely.

On my way to the course I'll stretch an arm across my body for 10 seconds or so, then the other. Then I'll reach behind my head and grab my headrest and stretch my triceps for about 10 seconds.

Once I get to the course, I'll try and find the fastest, slipperiest, spot on the practice green and roll in hard-breaking, downhill 3 and 4 footers focusing on trusting my line and a nice smooth stroke for about 10 minutes. Then try and knock in 3-4 10 footers. Then it's off to the course.

It may sound a little goofy, but it really works. The feeling of control I get from those short putts puts a good thought in my head for a nice smooth swing. I've found that hitting balls before I'll go, I'll try and find something to fix in my swing, which is never good to do before playing. I know my swing works, just gotta trust it for the day.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 6587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!