IGNORED

iron swing vs wedge swing

svchiefs19
Note: This thread is 5580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dimples create drag which effects spin if you hit a ball with no dimples on it it will still spin because of the loft and the grooves do grab the ball which does effect the spin also but a ball with no dimples will just fly out maybe between 100-175 yds and then just pretty much drop out of the sky.There are no exacts on which dimple design is the most efficient but it deffinitley effect's spin and spin is what makes the ball rise and carry, of course you have ball speed launch angle and all of that, that depends on distance,but yes dimples ball cover material,loft, groove volume and club face material all effect spin rate, and also the most important thing is how well you strike the ball .

All of this effects spin rate, but doesn't create it. Two different things. The spin is created by solid contact compressing the ball. What happens to the spin after that is the result of the groove depth, volume, club face material, dimple design, ball cover material, so on and so on.

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

I wanted to add that with less than full swings, say a 30 yard pitch shot, I believe the grooves do impart some spin. But not on full shots with a full compression. We may have been comparing apples to oranges.

Bottom line to the OP is that you don't change your swing to generate spin. Just hit it solidly and clean and the spin will happen. For sure changing from a low spin ball to high spin ball will make a difference.

WITB:
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

I wanted to add that with less than full swings, say a 30 yard pitch shot, I believe the grooves do impart some spin. But not on full shots with a full compression. We may have been comparing apples to oranges.

couldnt've said it better myself lol

Driver Tit 907D2 9.5 aldila spec grid 67s
HybidTit 585H 19* s flex
IronsTit 775cb 3-pw
WedgesTit vokey 52* 56* 60*
Putter Rife Barbados 35" winn mid pistol gripGolfballBridgestone B330-s/taylormade tp black/titleist prov1x

According to the USGA research on grooves, V grooves and U grooves produce about the same spin when hit from the fairway and a clean lie that sits up. The beauty of U grooves is the increased volume of space for grass and moisture to go when hitting from the rough. It is true that new zip grooves on high lofted wedges can sometimes score some soft balls, but that bite is apparently not what the USGA says creates additional spin because the spin is comparable unless there is grass (and its corresponding moisture, etc.,) between the clubface and the ball. Then U grooves rule.

You can go to the USGA site and pull up the research reports that support the recent decision to limit grooves in the future. It has data on spin produced from various lies and it really is amazing how much more spin the new grooves can provide from the rough. The bar graphs are pretty conclusive if the data are accurate and if what I think I am reading is true.

RC

Word up. I'll buy that. I believe they also tested a groove less iron from the fairway and found the same result, when compared to the U and V grooves.

WITB:

If I want more spin on my wedges I ever so slightly open the club face and aim ever so slightly left of the target. This works for chips shot also, I was practicing this today and the ball will stop faster once it hit the green.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

in order to get spin you want to "pinch" the ball against the ground... tust hitting the ball first...the iron swing is usually a longer swing compared to the short compact wedge swing you want.... a good drill to do with a wedge is what i call a "swoosh swoosh drill"

Yes, I need clarifying. Are you actually contacting and therefore taking a divot every time. Don't understand the practice swing as opposed to the drill. Do you mean take a practice swing, make a divot, then try to hit the spot again? Where does the swoosh swoosh come into play? Are we trying to make a swoosh sound at the same spot every time above the ground?

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

well, I've got a natural draw in my swing so I try to hold off the closing of my hands with the wedge. If I close the face and finish that draw swing, the ball will usually release to the left instead of checking on the green.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
Glad to read that there are some physics guys around. I wrote a similar response in another post about this concept of "pinching" the ball against the ground. Inertia is what causes the ball to be compressed by a descending club face not the ground. The old truism which is correct is "hit the little ball first and the big ball (the earth) second."

Most balls on greens stop because of the angle of descent , not due to spin . Spin has an effect to be sure , but it's a secondary factor to the angle of descent . That being said , one of the most effective ways to get the ball to "bite" more quickly is to ensure that you are not delofting the club too much at the point of impact .

To guard against this , try moving the ball slightly ahead in your stance . You still want to have the feel of a descending blow , but not quite as much as a normal shot . Then make sure you swing thru to a full , high finish . Think of more of an "arms"-finish rather than a body finish . This assures that you maximize the loft used in the shot . -- K.

Note: This thread is 5580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!