IGNORED

Please release me...

Note: This thread is 6612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had a session with the Pro last night. He's upgraded his video capture so I will post that when he emails it to me later. Watching the swing, there is a fair bit to like about it....except at impact.

I have "the flip".

So we had a long talk about the 2 lever principle. I am dropping into a single lever position as the clubhead gets level with my right foot and then feeling for the ball hence the flip.

This is going to be the hardest thing for me to convert from cricket hitter to golf swinger. I didn't get it last night and right now I'm not sure I will ever get it. As I lay awake last night pondering my dilema I realised that cricket is a one lever game, especially when it comes to hitting straight down the ground. I have been coached since the first time I picked up a bat to keep the left elbow high and the right hand pushing through for power. It has been ingrained for 25 years so it will be bloody hard to break.

So the Pro and I are looking for ideas. Things that may help reset my noggin and have me rotating my forearms properly and releasing the club properly through impact. Swing thoughts, drills, crazy ideas or hypnotherapy are all valid suggestions.

Help me lose the flip.

• Administrator
It may behoove you to swing baseball style, horizontal shaft plane, and really exaggerate the lag in your wrist and all that. Then slowly move down until you're in a golf swing plane.

It doesn't seem to me that the "flip" would serve you well in cricket, either. How would you control the loft off the cricket bat when you don't know exactly where in the "flip" you are with the ball. Or does super-precise control of loft not matter in cricket?

Another way to do this may be to hit chip shots with an 8-iron on the driving range. Start with really short ones. You can't flip or you hit them like crap. Keep working up, without flipping, until you're swinging 25%. Then 50%. Then up to 100%.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When playing straight down the ground, the same line we are trying for with a golf shot, we are trying to hit the ball along the ground and so loft isn't really an issue. It if bounces 6 inches or 6 feet in front you doesn't really matter too much.

I think you'll find that baseballers 'flip' too as a method of getting a ball that hasn't quite arrived yet. The Flip is less ingrained than the single lever action.
Compare the greatest batsman in the game right now- Ricky Ponting:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4...ing200x300.jpg
http://www.pudhari.com/static/Featur...ky-ponting.jpg
Note the high left elbow as the right hand provides the power. The shoulders rock similar to a high-powered putting stroke.

I'll give the 8 iron idea a run and see where the flip kicks in.

Note: This thread is 6612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!