IGNORED

Srixon Z-STAR

Note: This thread is 5543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone had a chance to hit these yet? New equipment always takes ages to be released down here in Australia. They must be pretty good if Vijay has swapped from the mighty Pro V1.

I thought everyone was swapping out the ProV this year.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Supposed to be getting some in the next week or two to try out, but I live in friggin' Illinois. So probably won't be able to tell you much except what they feel like off a putter or wedge. Unless my wife pops out our baby and I can get to an indoor simulator in the next couple weeks!
Callaway Hyper-X Tour: 9.5
MacGregor MT: 15
MacGregor MT: 18
KZG ZO's: 3-PW
Scratch JLM: 53, 58Snake Eyes 'best cheap putter' fired my Cameron and Mills!Srixon Z-Star X

Don't get me wrong, because I'm looking to try a new ball too, but don't forget Srixon bought Cleveland, who Vijay is contracted to. It wouldn't be out of the norm to assume he is now being payed to play these now.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

We are supposed to get them sometime next month....I love Srixon golf ball line....Hell, I love the company.

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

yep i am suppose to get some by the end of january also and the release date in north america is Feb. 5 th .

15 yrs old

DriverBurner 10.5 degree stiff flexFairway Burner 15 degree proforce 75 gram regular flex Hybridrescue dual 19 degree stiff flexHybrid edge cft hybrid 24 degree stiff flex Irons progressive XC 5-PW regular HOPING FOR TOUR PREFERRED's!SW rac satin tp wedge 56 degreesLW spin milled...

Anyone had a chance to hit these yet? New equipment always takes ages to be released down here in Australia. They must be pretty good if Vijay has swapped from the mighty Pro V1.

Yeah, but you have Ms. Nikki Garrett!

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

More info:

Thanks for the link...I see it says twice they have a money back guarantee....I wonder how that works?

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

At our club, A golfer who practises here uses them for his practise balls and I hav found a few and tried them out last week. the are very soft but not as much spin as the pro V1 but i do feel they go longer of the tee than the pro v1. This is just my personal opinion and I cant wait to see how they perform new.

Driver: Hibore XL 9.5 R
3 Wood: SQII 15
Hybrid: XLS 19
Irons: 3-PW Ta5
Wedges: 52* CG 10 58* Vokey SM08Putter: Rossa TP Kia Ma Monaco Ball: Pro V1/V1x, Z-Star/Z-Star x

• 5 weeks later...
Just got some today, both the star and the X versions and their awesome! Normal star is SOFTER than the Pro V (finally after 6 years of asking someones listened) and performs very similarly too (if anything slightly longer, same trajectory and spin). The X is a touch firmer than the Pro V but no where near as hard as the V1X, significantly longer on iron shots for me but only a touch longer with the woods. Spin is very similar feel off the putterface brilliant, if the New Pro V1 isn't a superstar then i'm gaming these this year!

In my Tour bag
Driver - Cyberstar (9*), cut to 43.5 inches long with tonnes of lead tape attatched to the head.
Fairway 909F2 (13.5*), Diamana blue 83 shaft, 42 inches long
Rescues Heaven wood (17*)
909h (21*) Diamana blue shaft Irons Pro M (3-PW), Rifle 5.0 shafts Wedges KZG TRS (52* +...

• Administrator

I'll preface this response by saying a few things. 1) I've heard good things about the Z Star balls. 2) We'll be reviewing the Z Star in about a month and a half. I don't have any personal feedback on the balls until I test 'em.

Normal star is SOFTER than the Pro V (finally after 6 years of asking someones listened) and performs very similarly too.

Softer == less distance, so I'm assuming that you mean the spin characteristics are roughly the same. If you're not just talking about spin, then you're likely wrong about it being "slightly longer." You seem to make the same mistake when talking about the X model. FWIW, none of the premium distance model (V1x, Z Star X, TP Black, etc.) are outside of about a yard or two different than each other with normal use. If you have some weird swing characteristic that one ball exploits a little better than the others, then maybe...

Anyway, Srixon doesn't seem to the compression, so it's tough to say too whether they're actually softer or if the sound simply makes them seem softer. Sound being something like 90% of "feel," after all...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tend to launch it too low with not enough spin, so a softer ball with a touch more spin does help me carry the ball farther! Changing my driver soon (looking for that 'optimum' setup) and very happy with how the Z-Star-X plays around the greens so that would be my preference if the new Pro V can't match it (I ask for a softer ball and when they give me one I prefer the HARDER one! Some people are hard to please!) You're right that the standard Z-Star was a yard or two shorter with irons than the Pro V, should have included that!
I'm not sure about your reason to suggest that the Z-Star balls couldn't be longer as it's really a matter of how well the spin characteristics of the ball match up with your personal launch conditions as to which ball will play longest for an individual! For someone else it may be different but for me it was longer by measurable amounts with the Z-Star-X.

In my Tour bag
Driver - Cyberstar (9*), cut to 43.5 inches long with tonnes of lead tape attatched to the head.
909h (21*) Diamana blue shaft Irons Pro M (3-PW), Rifle 5.0 shafts Wedges KZG TRS (52* +...

I've had a couple of rounds with the Z-Star-X. I found they went an absolute mile off my driver, further than any ball I normally hit (Pro V1x and the RX330). I hit one drive into a howling headwind and it went ridiculously long (30 meters / 33 yards further than I've ever been on that hole). I also found however, that it was almost a club shorter with my all of my irons. Odd? Who knows, but that's what I found. It was really good to putt though, felt really nice off the face of my putter, and pretty good around the green. My mate had his best round with one so he's pretty keen to get them when they're released. He's pretty fickle though, he's got half boxes of all different brands - Pro-v1s, Pro-V1xs, iTours, Tour56s - and he loved them all at one stage or another. I probably won't change though, I prefer consistent iron distance to extra driver distance. But you never know...

What's in my Eagles & Birdies Bag:
taylormade.gif R9 SuperTri Stiff 10.5˚
mizuno.gif MX-700 15˚ 3W Stiff
mizuno.gif MX-700 20˚ & 23˚ Hybrid Stiff
mizuno.gif MP 52 4-PW Nippon 950 Stiffmizuno.gif MP - T 10 52˚/07˚ & 58˚/10˚ping.gif Redwood Anser 34"titleist.gif Pro V1x FJD   

My impressions following a few rounds w/ the Star z, for what they are worth.........

a) 8 to 12 yards shorter off the driver than the Pro V1;

b) 1/2 to 3/4 club shorter off mid and short irons, vs. Pro V1;

c) 3/4+ club shorter off long irons, vs. Pro V1;

d) Much more susceptible to side spin and wind shear than the Pro V1;

e) Not the "drop and stop" performance offered by the Pro V1; and

f) Almost too soft off of the putter........ very difficult to find good distance control on longer putts, especially up-hillers.

For me, not a viable replacement. JMO

"The more you know...... the less you need"

After more extensive trialing with thes balls( see post above) I have found that they are:

Softer than pro v1 ( off the putter and irons)
Much less spin than pro v1s
Same distance if not longer off driver than pro v1
Same distance of irons

Driver: Hibore XL 9.5 R
3 Wood: SQII 15
Hybrid: XLS 19
Irons: 3-PW Ta5
Wedges: 52* CG 10 58* Vokey SM08Putter: Rossa TP Kia Ma Monaco Ball: Pro V1/V1x, Z-Star/Z-Star x

My impressions following a few rounds w/ the Star z, for what they are worth.........

Have you tried the Z-Star-X? Should deal with at least the 'too soft off the putter' problem! I've been very impressed with the all round play of the X, and will be playing them at least until Titleist get the new Pro V1 out!

In my Tour bag

Note: This thread is 5543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!