IGNORED

Anybody Else Think Tiger Is. . .

ProfessorGAC
Note: This thread is 5576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

. . .playing possum?

There are guys who came back to play NBA or NFL is less time than Tiger with virtually the same injury.

I think he's changing something, is reloading, and has used the knee thing (which, of course, was real) to keep everyone away and leaving him alone.

I have a feeling that he's doing something to change his game but he wants to spring it on everyone.

I know i'm a giant fan. And this is someone who SAW Nicklaus play, right in front of my eyes, TWCIE. But, i think he's figured out a way to take the next step from "possibly the best ever" to BEST EVER!

Maybe i'm imagning it. But, i've got such a strong feeling on this.
GAC

What's In My Bag?
Taylor Made RBZ Driver
Nike Ignite 3 Wood

Taylor Made Burner 5 Wood
Cleveland QuadPro 3 Iron Hybrid
Mizuno MX-200 4 Through WedgeMizuno MP Series Gap and Sand Wedges

Odyssey XG7 Putter

I'm extremely "unfussy" about balls. I'll play anything white and round!  I''ll even play the colors i find.

I think he prob wants to play it safe/spend some time with his family. He could play well into his 40s so time with the kids while they are growing will be rare...

Also golf is not like bball/football where u can 'suprise' ur opponents. Though this is debateable ur performance doesnt have a direct influence on ur opponents.

Wouldnt it be great tho if he as working on something ridiculously spectacular and came out and won the slam next yr.... a real grand slam this time

Driver: Nike Sumo 5000 9.5
5W: Mizuno F-60
3H: Mizuno CLK Fli-Hi
Irons: Nike CCI Forged 4-PW
SW: Mizuno MX-19 LW: Mizuno MP-R 60Deg

I think he is just playing it safe and making sure that he is 100% healed before he comes back.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I think he is playing it safe. Plus the family time has to be a bonus that helps keep him from rushing back too soon. Although I do believe, at some point in time he is going to revamp his swing again.

I believe he will eventually modify his swing into something that will be easier on his body in the long run. I don't think he is ready to do that just yet. But I have a feeling that is something he has considered IF he decides to play into his 40s. With his clutch pressure putting, short game, imagination and sheer will to win I believe he could almost win on tour with my swing - almost.

He and Hank had already begun making changes to his swing for longevity.....or so it seemed when I was reading

This is a great article. It addresses a lot of things. Very interesting! Thanks for the link.

This is a great article. It addresses a lot of things. Very interesting! Thanks for the link.

Yeah...it's a very good read. Took me a half hour to find it again...

I think Tiger is going to be just fine when he gets back!

Thanks for the opinions, folks! I understand most think it's a "safe, not sorry" approach, and that makes perfect sense. I still think he's up to something big.
GAC

What's In My Bag?
Taylor Made RBZ Driver
Nike Ignite 3 Wood

Taylor Made Burner 5 Wood
Cleveland QuadPro 3 Iron Hybrid
Mizuno MX-200 4 Through WedgeMizuno MP Series Gap and Sand Wedges

Odyssey XG7 Putter

I'm extremely "unfussy" about balls. I'll play anything white and round!  I''ll even play the colors i find.

I don't know about playing possum or working on something terribly new. I do think that no matter what he, or anyone else says about easing back into it, he wants to win his first tournament back in the worst way.

I think that everything that he's doing is oriented with that in mind.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ive had a similar injury (paritally torn MCLs, sprained ACL) from playing baseball, and its going to be over a year before the knee is completley pain free without any stiffness. The stiffness is a big part of it that gets overlooked in knee injuries. I think he is being cautious.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Absolutely, to some degree. He has said things like he couldn't hit the ball 15 yards about 3 months post op. Really? I see lots of post ACL/meniscal reconstructions in my practice. If he were in a wheelchair, given his athletic talents, he could drive it 240 yards with one arm. Tiger has extreme mental/phychological abilities (almost super human) and is utilizing self defense mechanism to boost his psyche. He is publicly painting the worst picture possible, while privately building inner strength and striving for domination.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Tiger is getting real 'Selective', and he can afford to. H'e getting 'Jaded'..he digs the majors.. and stays away from poopy Tourny's like the Bob Hope Classic..

Eventually, I'll get the hint and stop advertising, which is against the rules.

MCL and ACL injuries take well over a year to return to how they were before. Guys in the NFL generally don't return to the same form as they were before. Look at Carson Palmer, Daunte Culpepper, Donovan McNabb (I think he messed up his MCL), and possibly Tom Brady. There is a possiblility that Tiger when Tiger returns, he won't be that good.

He says that his knee hasn't been healthy for years, so he could be way better than he has been in the past few years. I could see him changing his swing (especially with his driver) to put less strain and torque on his knee.

If anyone can do it, it's Tiger. Top athletes in their respective sports seem to get by just fine after major injuries. Some even return better. Look at DWade. He's better this year than he's ever been. I really do think that Tiger could be better in the future. He'll always be a crazy putter, have a nuts short game, and have the desire to win.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

i agree with everyone saying that he's just playing it safe and, probably moreover, just wanting to spend some time with his family. have they had their second baby yet? i forget when it was due. i'm sure that's a big factor in the extended break.

MCL and ACL injuries take well over a year to return to how they were before. Guys in the NFL generally don't return to the same form as they were before. Look at Carson Palmer, Daunte Culpepper, Donovan McNabb (I think he messed up his MCL), and possibly Tom Brady. There is a possiblility that Tiger when Tiger returns, he won't be that good.

While I don't think that he will lose anything as far as his superiority over the rest of the field, I do agree that he is making some changes in his swing. Tiger has an abundance of power, and he could back off a bit and still be the best on the Tour. He is so good with his irons that he diesn't need to be the longest driver... it might even benefit him by being more accurate off the tee.

Whatever he does, he needs to take the strain off that repaired knee, and I have a feeling that this is what he and Haney are working hardest on right now. The head pro at my home course has a similar injury, and he has had to setup the old fashioned way with his front foot angled about 30° toward the target so that he can make a full follow through without over-torquing the knee. It makes for a slightly shorter backswing, but he says that it hasn't cost him a significant amount of distance off the tee, and his iron distance hasn't changed at all.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!