IGNORED

Mizuno MP-60 vs. Taylor Made RAC LT

Note: This thread is 6609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm trying to decide between the Mizuno MP-60 and the Taylor Made RAC LT and would appreciate any thoughts you might have. Both are designed to provide a little bit of forgiveness while providing the ability to shape shops.

Any thoughts on how the RAC LT compares with the MP-60? I've tried both out extensively at the range and in a simulator and like both for different reasons. The RAC LT is definitely easier to hit and is more forgiving on "miss-hits". But, I found that the shaft seemed a bit "whippy" - as if the club head was getting out in front of me during the swing (regular shaft).

I was able to hit the Mizuno MP-60 longer and more tightly bunched than the RAC LT (by about 5-10 yards). Unfortunately, I found that on days when my swing was "off", the clubs were far more difficult to hit (obviously less forgiving than the RAC LT) with more dispersion. I did, however, love the complete feedback that the forged Mizuno clubs provided - wow. In the long run, the extra feedback may help me improve my swing, and thus my game because I know exactly what my swing is doing at contact.

Any thoughts on how I should decide on a set of clubs?

I'm getting serious about my game and am continuing to take lessons to improve systematically all the parts of my game. I'm shooting high-80's/low 90's right now because I can't keep my drives out of the trees or rough stuff - working straightening out my driver/woods is my goal this year. Anyway, any thoughts you might have on either the RAC LT or the MP-60 would be very much appreciated. I'm trying to find a way to determine which one to buy. I figure that I can't go wrong with either of the two sets as they both seem to be well constructed.

You can read a previous Sandtrap.com review of the Taylor Made Rac LT posted by Erik Barzeski/Ed Koster.

Sign the slow play promise and petition

This is all personal preference but I really like the forging process that Mizuno goes through. Its one of the best forged irons that I've felt. They really makes a good feeling iron. I'm not quite sure but isn't the Taylor Made rac a cast set of irons. I really like the top line of the Mizuno irons.

But I am biased.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

I would rate the MX-900 the comparable Mizuno forging to Taylor Made's RAC LT, you might want to give that a try - I hear it's a fabulous iron but I've not hit them yet. It also sounds like you need to try the RAC lt's with a different shaft.

My advice to mid-handicappers is not to overbuy when it comes to irons. That is, buy the most forgiving iron you can tolerate. I've always felt golf is hard enough without making it harder on ourselves with what we put in the bag. The MP-60's are beautiful clubs and are more forgiving than the MP-33's or 32-'s, but they will still be punishing on the days your swing is off. I think you will get more day in and day out enjoyment from the LT's or the MX-900's.

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

• Administrator
My advice to mid-handicappers is not to overbuy when it comes to irons. That is, buy the most forgiving iron you can tolerate. I've always felt golf is hard enough without making it harder on ourselves with what we put in the bag.

My advice is the opposite: buy an iron slightly better than you.

On one condition: that you're actually looking to improve and will work to improve.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My advice is the opposite: buy an iron slightly better than you.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. A lot probably depends on personal philosophy - I'm a big proponent of not buying ahead of your skill until there's an element of the game that your current clubs don't offer. I played some of my best golf in the mid-90's with original Big Bertha irons - so that's probably what shaped my mindset. But there's certainly a ton of people out there who like to use their equipment as motivation to improve, and if that's what drives you then by all means buy up.

Iacas, would you recommend MP-60's to a 15-handicap? That just seems like a lot of club for someone who I'd still rate in the game-improvement stage of the learning process.

In my bag:
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Thanks for the suggestions - even though they are somewhat conflicting :) I would probably tend to agree more with Erik because my main motivation for new clubs is because I've "maxed-out" using my current clubs. But, I can see what Sheriffbob is saying.

In terms of a handicap being in the mid-teens, yeah, I can understand the concern. As I mentioned earlier, my problem hasn't been with my irons, as I make good contact and moving the ball in a (more or less) straight path. My problem has been with the "big stick" and the short game. I can't seem to stay in the fairway when hitting with my driver and/or woods. When I get close to the greens, I just don't know the proper way to get the ball close. My instructor and I are going to spend this year and next working on hitting woods and on the short game (20/80).

What is your current set of irons?

In my bag:

Still using my original "starter" set made by Excalibur golf. I'm getting serious about golf now and over the past few years spent my $$ on lessons instead of new equipment. I figure I should have a decent swing before upgrading.

Still using my original "starter" set made by Excalibur golf. I'm getting serious about golf now and over the past few years spent my $$ on lessons instead of new equipment. I figure I should have a decent swing before upgrading.

Definitely the smart way to go and you're definitely at a point that some new sticks should be beneficial to you.

Like I said above, I went from a 90's shooter as a young teenager in high-school all the way to a 2 hcp in college playing Original Big Bertha irons the whole time, I even had Big Bertha wedges. Since then I've tinkered with using various iron sets, including Titleist and Mizuno muscle-backs - but I keep coming back to cast-cavity backs because I found the blades to be too demanding for an occasional player. Since 2000 I've had fairly long stints with X-14 pros, I3+ blades, and my current set of X-18 pros, which I'm planning to keep in the bag for awhile. I guess my point is that it's not a prerequisite to use so-called "player's" irons to play golf at a high level. Everyone's got to find their own way, though. And the good news is, regardless of which set you go for, they are both great irons and if you decide you don't like them you should have no problem reselling them. Trying new equipment is half the fun of this game, imo.

In my bag:

• Administrator
To answer the question posed to me, yes, I would recommend the MP-60 to a 15-handicap in a rare situation. This may be one of them - a guy that wants to improve, a guy who isn't great with the driver and the short game, etc. If he hits his irons well, great.

But with any set of irons, get properly fit or it doesn't matter what shaft or clubhead you have - they won't work.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
these are the highest furthest irons i have ever hit but to much $$$

You didn't even say which one...

Note: This thread is 6609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!