IGNORED

Pulled the trigger on Titleist!!!

Note: This thread is 5524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just got back from a Titleist Demo day and I could finally test everything that I wanted to try. After long research and questions, I have finally pulled the trigger on the following items.

1) 909D2 9.5* with Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 Stiff @ 44.75".

2) 909F2 13.5* with Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 83 Stiff @ 42.75".

3) 909H 17* with Aldila Voodoo Hybrid for Titleist Stiff @ 40.75".

A brief review of the clubs

1) 909D2 9.5* was a bomber with low/mid flight that had great feel and explosive sound. Although my G10 is 9*, 909D2 launched slightly lower. It eliminated my mistakes that I make sometimes where I would hook the ball with my current G10. Instead when I make a poor contact, the ball would instead fade/slice about 5-10 meters where it would still keep the ball in play rather than going into the woods with a hook. This was the worst case scenario. However 9 out of 10 shots were going dead straight where the ball will roll slightly which is a good thing for me because I want the ball to stay where it lands with slight roll at max. Distance was same as my current G10 despite the shorter shaft length (Demo had 45") at 250 meters. If anyone will be going with the stock shafts, the Diamana Blue for Titleist gave too high of a ball flight and didn't feel like a Diamana at all. Voodoo was a better stock shaft IMPO.

2) 909F2 13.5* was definitely longer compared to my G10 fairway wood of 15.5*. It gave me extra 10-15 meters and I was worried that it would be tough to hit the low lofted fairway but it was no different from any 15* or 15.5* fairways. This extra 10-15 meters is a great step up for me personally because when I try to go for the green on 2 on par 5s I would be short of 5-10 meters with my current 15.5* setup 9 out of 10 times. This new weapon will definitely change my game on par 5s from now on. Very solid feel and I have played a lot of Titleist woods in the past but I feel that 909F2 has really gone up another level in terms of forgiveness, feel and performance. Although a shallow faced wood, it performed very well off the tee. In terms of stock shaft, I preferred the Voodoo shaft over Diamana in this case as well.

3) 909H 17*. I actually was surprised with this one. I didn't like any of the past hybrids from Titleist but this one was different! Very solid feel and much more forgiving compared to the 585H. It also has a muted feel but nothing like 585H. I personally felt that the hybrid face was quite alive where as the 585H was dull and dead. Distance was equal, if not slightly longer compared to my G10 18.5* but with the benefit of being more accurate. Mishits will be punished but nothing like 585H. I personally thought that it performed slightly better off the tee with definitely distance increase compared to hitting it off the deck. I would say another 5 meters. I would definitely be able to find more forgiving hybrids out there but that is not what I was looking for and this is as forgiving as it could get for a Titleist. Very very solid straight shots. I was surprised that the stock Voodoo shaft was quite good compared to the stock Voodoo on the faiway or driver. So I decided to order it with stock Voodoo but just 0.25" shorter.

Other clubs that I have demoed

1) 909D Comp 9.5*. Different feel compared to 909D2/D3 but definitely explosive. Launched slightly higher than 909D2 but not much difference in terms of distance. Just as long. Stock Ozik is quite good if you are looking for lighter shafts. In fact I would say this is the best stock shaft in the 909 series IMPO. The only thing that I didn't really like was the shape of the head but nothing to worry about. It seemed like the face area looked narrower because of the wider head. I would game this if what you are looking for is forgiveness, control with explosive feel and good distance.

2) 909D3 9.5*. This was pretty much equal to 909D2 except that the head is smaller slightly, CG more towards the front which was quite noticeable and ball flight was lower than both D2 and D Comp. Very solid as well but I would say slightly different solid feel compared to 909D2. In fact I personally thought that all D2, D3 and D Comp has different feel to them although quite similar if you know what I mean. I would game this if I wanted a lower ball launch, solid feel, control and distance.

3) 909F3 15*. I was initially thinking of going with this this club before the demo but after the demo I chose 13.5*. The only reason being I hit my woods a lot off the deck and off the tee on windy or tight holes. Compared to 909F2 13.5*, 909F3 15* launched slightly higher and was shorter slightly in terms of distance but this would definitely be because of the loft. I didn't have the confidence to hit the 13* 909F3 consistently off the deck because I personally felt that 909D3 was slightly more difficult due to deeper face, lower loft and smaller head. However, if you are low single handicap (less than 5), I would say you would love the solid feel of this club.

4) AP2 with Project X 5.5. I was just trying out these clubs to compare with my MP60. The feel of the shaft was definitely slightly different from my DG TT S300 but performance was at par. However, I would give a slight edge to TT S300 in terms of feel and kick. Very forgiving player's iron. Definitely more forgiving than my MP60 but I am a good iron striker so I wasn't looking for that. The only reason why I didn't get this is because I personally feel that Mizuno MP60 had better feel compared to the AP2s. However, AP2s are very good irons. I would buy them if I was looking for new iron sets but I will be happy with MP60 for another 2-3 years.

Overall I would say Titleist has solid line up this year. They lost me as a customer when 907 series came out which is why I turned to PING for the woods but seems like they will be pulling me back into Titleist/Mizzy bag for me this year.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

You talked about how you didn't like the diamana, and thought the voodoo was better, yet you ordered it on driver and 3 wood? misprint or not?

I like the real diamana blue but didn't like the diamana blue for titleist. I tried the real one vs the one made for titleist and the ball flight, trajectory, spin rate and distance was completely different.

Driver

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I like the real diamana blue but didn't like the diamana blue for titleist. I tried the real one vs the one made for titleist and the ball flight, trajectory, spin rate and distance was completely different.

Wow....wonder what the difference was.....weight diff. of shaft...diff. versions....?????

Sounds like some very nice clubs that you'll be pleased with.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Wow....wonder what the difference was.....weight diff. of shaft...diff. versions....?????

I personally think they are completely different characteristic shafts.

For drivers, BB 65 Made for Titleist is slightly lighter weighing at 65g, mid kick point and the biggest difference is that it has a torque of 4.4. Where as the BB 73 is slight heavier by 4g (which shouldn't make that big of a deal), but with mid/high kick and lower torque of 3.0. I guess if you are looking for mid kick high torque shaft the BB65 Made for Titleist would fit you very well but it just wasn't for me. Same goes for other Stock BB for fairway and hybrid.
Driver

Woods

Schweeeeet.....!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So, is there an upcharge for the getting the legit BB? If there is, I'll probably just go all voodoo.

Yeah probably around $250.

Driver: 910D3 - Oban Kiyoshi 75 X / 909D3 - Oban Devotion 7 X
3 Wood: R9 TP - Oban Devotion 8 05
Hybrid: 909H - Project X Graphite
Irons: 4-6 AP2 - Project X 6.5 / 7-W MB - Project X 6.5
Wedges: Scratch 1018 52/56/60 KBS Tour XPutter: SC Button Back Newport 34" / SC Del Mar 34" / SC SS Newport...

I have hit the voodoo and BB for titleist indoors and noticed a huge difference in feel between to two. I'd be interested to see the difference between the two different BB's.

I'm going for a driver fitting soon and hopefully I will be walking out with a 909
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

I picked up a 15* 909F3 last night w/ the stock Voodoo shaft. It's finally replacing my olllld 20* Titleist Pro Trajectory fairway medal I got back around 1995.

I was really torn between a 15* or 18*.. but I'm tons more likely to use it off the tee than from the fairway, so figured I would appreciate the extra yardage the majority of the time.

I'm really wanting a 909D2.. but just can't make myself drop the cash on it.

Wow. thats a lot.

They upcharged $150 here in Asia but might be different in the US. Diamana Blue is +$150 and Diamana White is +200.

They had demo for 909D2 with legit Diamana Blue and Diamana White. I was initially going to go with WB but realized that 909D2, although stated mid launch, actually launched the ball quite low so I tried the one with LEGIT BB and it made the best ball flight, spin rate, feel etc. Legit BB's feel was heavenly and nothing compared to the BB for Titleist IMPO.
Driver

Woods

• 1 month later...
Thank you for the review! I just pulled the trigger on AP2 with the stock Project X 5.5 shaft, 5-PW and a 24 909H and 19H. They are my first set of clubs to be fitted to to me and I can't wait to try them in the bag. I'm thinking this weekend I might pick up an 909F2 3W as well. My current driver is the 907D2 and I really like where it puts my ball, I'm just not too keen on the flight path. Instead of a boring, piercing trajectory, I get sort of a ballooning effect. I did get on a launch monitor and my buddy here at the golf academy said that the numbers were great for that particular shaft and loft combo so I'm going to hang on to the 907D2 for now.

Great review of all the clubs!

909 D2, 9.5 with Matrix Ozik XCon 5
909 F2, 15.5 3W with Matrix Ozik Xcon 5
909 H, 19 & 24 with stock Aldila Voodoo S
AP2, 5-PW with Project X 5.5
CG10, 52 gap wedge CG10, 56 sand wedge Spin Milled, 60 lob wedge Newport 2.5

I just got back from a Titleist Demo day and I could finally test everything that I wanted to try. After long research and questions, I have finally pulled the trigger on the following items.

I have this club with the Voo Doo Shaft. It's definately a "money club" . Great Choice. Long too. I think its close to being as long as a driver off the turf, not as long but pretty close.

What's in my Nike Sasquatch Tour Stand Bag:

L4V 9.5F Driver
909F2 13.5* VooDoo Stiff Flex Shaft
VR Forged Split Cavity 3-PW Custom Newport 2.6 Vokey Spin Milled 56.11 Wedge 60.10 SV Tour Wedge Diablo Golf Balls / ZIP Golf Balls SG 2.5

Note: This thread is 5524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!