IGNORED

Question about gps units.....

IT Man
Note: This thread is 5488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Squaddie, Shot Guru allows you to record the distance of each shot for later review and lets you enter the club and lie for any shot at any time during the round. Also you can upload scores and stats to USHandicap.com.

"Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness."
William Wordsworth

Gear:
Callaway FT-S Driver Nike VR Blades/wedges TM Ghøst Putter.

I have an iGolf Caddie II, and I really like the unit. It's easy to use and has the features I want (shot distance, AA batteries). What I don't like is iGolf (the company). The first course I downloaded and played had holes mapped in the wrong order. I sent their customer service a message to this effect, including the exact corrections they needed to make, and received no answer. Another course had the center of the green for one hole at the 150-yard marker. And recently they removed the "File Maker" application from their website, which means you can no longer map a course yourself, and the "custom points" feature is pretty much useless, since you can't name the points. "Hey, look: it's 203 yards to something. Now was that to carry the water, or lay up short of the bunker?"

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

Squaddie, Shot Guru allows you to record the distance of each shot for later review and lets you enter the club and lie for any shot at any time during the round. Also you can upload scores and stats to USHandicap.com.

Thanks, Windmill. I checked up the product specifications on the Golf Guru and that looks like the perfect GPS for me. Now to seek out a good deal on it...

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

Pulled the trigger on the upro on sunday should be here tomorrow or friday. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

First of all, you are correct...most of the units do the same thing.

$35 per year "adds up quickly"??? That's less than $3 a month... almost nothing worthwhile costs less that $3 any more... most players will go through several times that just in golf balls in a month. My GolfLogix annual fee is $29.95... that's $2.50 a month. A fast food hamburger costs more than that. And even that $35 fee only adds up once a year.... it takes 3 years of subscribing to hit $100, and by then you probably will have moved up to something newer and better anyway.

In my book that isn't adding up quickly.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
I second Freecaddie. If you have a Windows Mobile device, iPhone, or Blackberry you really can't go wrong. The free version has everything you need and the pro version is only $25 (one time charge).

Yardages are right on the money when compared to SkyCaddie and a couple others.

Maybe I'm cheap, but if it does the same thing and it's free...
In the bag:
Driver: `09 Launcher (10.5º) w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff
3 Wood: `09 Launcher w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff shaft
3 Hybrid (20.5º): `09 Launcher w/ Fujikura Fit-On Red Stiff Shaft
4-PW: CG7 Tour w/ TT Dynamic Gold Stiff Shafts50º (8º Bnce), 56º (14º Bnce), 60º (8º Bnce):

If you have a BlackBerry or iPhone, there are some great inexpensive choices that use the GPS in the phone. I have used a free one for the BlackBerry (nRange) and an inexpensive one (< $40 - GreenFinder). Both work excellent.

In my Sasquatch Tour Stand Bag:

SQ DYMO² STR8-FIT 10.5° Driver
'07 Burner 3 Wood
IDEA A7 19° 3 Hybrid, 22° 4 Hybrid G15 Irons 5 - UW CG14 56° Black Pearl White Hot Rossi Putter Push Cart 2.0

Double post, but relevant for future readers...

I got a Golf Logix GPS the other day after seeing the infomercial on the golf channel. It is essentially a Garmin e-trex unit programmed for golf. These are awesome gps units if you are not familiar. Had Garmin not made it, I would not have gotten it. My wife and I float remote arctic rivers in Alaska each fall. Flyfishing and rafting for 40-60 miles over a week or two. We use the Garmin etrex for our gps units. That is how we get to the right gravel bar for the bush plane pickup. If this unit is good enough for remote river travel, it will sure as heck get me around a golf course. Ha ha..

I used it for the first time today. Amazing. Just amazing. Last night I hooked it up the computer and downloaded 20 courses that I am likely to play. This took just a few minutes. Childproof, really. Took it out today and was extremely pleased. It tells you yardage to bunker, yards for 150 yard, 100 yard, etc.. lay up distance to green. After the drive (on par 4/5) it tells you the distance to front/center/back green. It advances as you go, automatically, and you don't have to do anything but look at it. Could not be simpler, yet give all the info you need in my opinion. I got the optional protective case, $19.99, and put the gps in it and clipped it to my golf bag where my towel/brush goes. Worked out great. I am there getting a club, look at the gps, go about my business. They sell a suction cup golf cart mount, but that looks clumsy to me.

It has a feature (one button you press) that measures shot distance. Just hit the shot, hit the button, go to ball, hit the button again, and it reads of 272 yards, etc... I am on Nantucket and had 30 + mph winds this morning. Drove what looked like a perfect drive and did the distance of shot button. Turned out to only be a 188 yard drive! Also really enjoyed measuring the distance of my gap wedge, pitching wedge, etc.. Great to see an actual number, like 87 yards, instead of my normal guesstimate. Can't recommend this gps unit enough.

If anyone wants one, be sure to get it on Amazon, $226, it is $299 at the Golf Logix website. The subscription is $30 a year. But that does give you access to download 23,000 courses. My home state, North Carolina, has 615 courses listed. Every course I could think of was in the data bank. You can download one course for free without doing the $30/year subscription so if you play on the same course all the time, this may very well be an option for you. It is easy to add/delete/change the courses you store in the gps unit. As I said, you can store 20 courses at a time. Just takes a few minutes and the software is idiot proof. Wish I had bought one of these years ago.

http://golfgps.com/

Thanks, Windmill. I checked up the product specifications on the Golf Guru and that looks like the perfect GPS for me. Now to seek out a good deal on it...

I love my golf guru, and if you want the flexibility to do some mapping yourself I believe it's the best choice out there. I've found the downloaded maps to be very accurate, but I'm one of those people who still wants to remap everything on my home course just so I KNOW I can trust it :)

You can get refurb units for $199 (same warranty as new, 1 year) and you can find coupons online for 5% off that. $189 with no subscription is hard to beat.

I love my golf guru, and if you want the flexibility to do some mapping yourself I believe it's the best choice out there. I've found the downloaded maps to be very accurate, but I'm one of those people who still wants to remap everything on my home course just so I KNOW I can trust it :)

Ah, didn't know about the 5% coupon. Oh, well, I bought a refurbished one ($199) from Golf Guru's website a few weeks ago and it seems to work pretty well. I wish I could customize the club selection but I can work with the defaults.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

I use a Sonocaddie XV2 and love it. Granted I have only used it a few times since I recently got it but so far it is great.

It seems I was in the same situation as you. I wanted a skycaddie but didnt need all the bells and whistles; the yearly subscription didnt seem too great to me either.

So I did some research and settles on this. You can get it for about $225 new which isn't too bad for a gps. There is no yearly subscription I just download the courses (for free) and theyre mine. It seems me how far the front/back of the water, trap, green whatever if it's on the course it's on the gps. I just needed numbers and thats what you get.

check it out if this helped

R7 Superquad 10.5° RE*AX 65 Fujikura
R7 Draw Rescue 3H 19°
R7 Draw Rescue 5H 25°
X-20 4-AW
Vokey Spin Milled 54° ChromeCPR 56°Victoria II 35"Pro v1

Note: This thread is 5488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!