IGNORED

The Haney Project: Can Haney Fix Barkley’s Swing?

Uber$winG
Note: This thread is 5343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Can Haney Fix Barkley’s Swing?

• YES
    • NO
    • MAYBE
    • WHO CARES?

If he can't fix Tiger, he most certainly can't fix Barkley. lol j/k or am I?

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to say that Charles has one of the weirdest and ugliest swings I have ever seen in my life lol (and this is my 100th post woohoo)

What's In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11s 9* w/ Fujikura Motore F1
3 Wood: TaylorMade R11s w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki 
Irons: Taylormade R11
Wedges: Titleist SM4 Vokey 52.08, 56.11, 60.04 
Putter: Odyssey Metal-X #9
Ball: Taylormade Penta TP5

If Charles still has the hitch at the end of the show, how will this affect Haney's reputation?

Season Two...

Think about it, hasn't the show garnered the highest ratings ever for a non-tournament for the Golf Channel? I know I'd watch.

FYI, I don't thionk Haney's going to be able to do it. Here's a link to a Barkley swing from yesterday, May 14th.

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2009/05/...hizik_and.html

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

FYI, I don't thionk Haney's going to be able to do it. Here's a link to a Barkley swing from yesterday, May 14th.

Sad to see

But at the same time, I really hope they do make a second season...Chuck's just a fun personality to follow.

• Administrator

You're right: doesn't appear as though he has.

It'll be interesting to see whether they lie to us on the show or what.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, this is from yesterday as well:

Not only is there a hitch but it hits a guy

Is filming for the show done?? Man if it is, the Golf Channel should really bring him back for another season...

Did you notice he hit an Alabama fan. I think he did that on purpose. :D

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Lol, Barkley's terrible. He's clearly got some problems, if you're working with a world class swing coach like Haney and you're (supposed) to be a world class athlete youself - then why can't you fix something as simple swinging the club without a retarted hitch? What's so hard about swinging something? The guy needs to see a psychologist.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

• Administrator
Lol, Barkley's terrible. He's clearly got some problems, if you're working with a world class swing coach like Haney and you're (supposed) to be a world class athlete youself - then why can't you fix something as simple swinging the club without a retarted hitch? What's so hard about swinging something? The guy needs to see a psychologist.

I'm seriously beginning to support the idea that he should just take up the game left-handed. Surely that would be easier.

HANK = mini-fail, but Barkley = HUGE FAIL.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There's no progress in any of the major areas they isolated. That's the baffling aspect. He's still got his hands too close to his ear with the shaft angle crossing the line at the top of the backswing, the head dips dramatically, and of course the resulting hitch.

I support lefthanded, as someone who is playing from both sides right now, as of the past month. The tendencies from one side don't necessarily transfer the other way. I could rattle off at least a half dozen differences in my game, from one side to the other.

What a weird, tragic, surreal scenario the Barkley thing is. There have been baseball players like this -- who was that catcher who constantly threw over the pitcher's head? I think they moved him to first base, then eventually to unemployment.

I'd like to see Barkley try some of the ideas in this forum. Has anyone suggested swinging under water?

Hank Haney is a position teacher, and a good one. He firmly believes that if you achieve the right positions you'll get predictable results. He also believes that you can analyze parts of your game and correct them by studying ball flight.

(I took a week's worth of lessons with him, and he helped me truly understand this cause and effect, and effect and cause. He helped me begin to hit a nice draw...which later became a hook, then a pull-hook, then a banana-slice. Effect: Ball-skied-into-forest. Cause: I'm an idiot.)

What seems to be missing for poor Barkley is that his eyes are telling his brain something that his body needs a few moments to think about.

I actually haven't watched it lately. It ends soon, right? I'm just glad I don't have that kind of problem when I drink beer.

HANK = mini-fail, but Barkley = HUGE FAIL.

Hank failed only because you 'can't fix stupid'. I'm not being mean, only saying that if you can't follow the instructions your swing coach gives you then you can't be fixed. I'd imagine Haney is used to working with people who put in an honest effort to do what they're instructed to do. As "cool" and "fun" a guy Barkley seems to be, it's clear he just won't commit to it. I believe he lacks the self control, hence his weight problem, gambling, DUI etc.

My old mentor used to tell me that there were only two reasons why someone wouldn't do what they're supposed to do. Either they don't know, or they don't care. I don't think Barkley care's enough. I think that's just who he is.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

• Administrator
Hank failed only because you 'can't fix stupid'.

Yeah, that may be true. And I didn't take it meanly.

He had Charles making good swings at the ball. He was something like +1 over 3 or 4 holes against Anthony Kim. But when other people are around - any more than about two or three or he feels real pressure (playing against guys he used to beat, his golfing friends, etc.) he cracks.
Either they don't know, or they don't care.

Which, if true, makes the entire show a sham.

I think its simple.

Watch Barkeley on the range. He hits fantastic shots. And He's hitting the odd good shot on the course too, which he said he hasnt done in years.

Your talking about an athlete who pretty much held every record in the NBA with Jordan. now he's out of shape and has cameras following him in a sport he isnt good at. He's nervous.

I have to defend him, because im not a good player, but i'd be much worse if I had people and cameras watching me all the time.

Charles needs to play alone for a while and get used to what he's doing.

He also needs to RESTART his swing when he hitches. Thats the part I dont understand. Why doesnt Haney have him doing that?

To say he hasnt worked? Even Haney said he's hitting thousands of balls. Theres definately performance anxiety there.

A doctor I know compared it to Erectile difficulty when we were playing one day and talking about Barkley. He said many men he deals with who have the problem, can get a stiffy at the mere sight of a beautiful woman, but cant get it up when one is right in front of them naked. Its a mental block, and can only be fixed through therapy.

I think Haney should have seen a shrink for his performance anxiety during the show.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Good post Apoc.

If you can't stand up with a naked woman in front of you, that's one thing. If you knuckle to the pressure and hit a duck-hook, that's another thing. But if you, like Barkley, go through those physical manifestations, that's really something entirely different.

This is a man who became a legend by controlling his body and hand-eye-coordination. That hitch in his swing (to me) means that he absolutely doesn't understand or feel a proper golf swing, so his compensations and reactions are off the charts and odd.

Would I give up? If I had his money and nothing to do, no, I'd keep trying. But I think I'd rather switch to lefty and shoot 150 than deal with that humiliating and terrifying, lurchy, wood-chopping attack on a golf ball.

Man, it's rough to watch, even after seeing it hundreds of times.

i think everyone is forgetting that barkley 'was' a low to mid hcp golfer and no longer is anymore... so he has it in him... its his brain thats getting in the way... im sure if you put him on a basketball court the young guys would school him and he'd get ultra embarassed and look like he had never held a basketball in his life... yet he 'was' a great basketball player back in the day... i think he's gotten so far away from his comfort zone that its become a chore for him now
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

now he's out of shape and has cameras following him in a sport he isnt good at. He's nervous.

Good points. He should forget about playing in tournaments and get comfortable with his swing. A shrink would be useful too in preparing him for tournaments down the road.

I sometimes wonder if he just likes the attention, no matter how negative. Just the other day he said he could beat a woman at anything except cooking and cleaning house.(something like that) Well a woman quickly proved that wrong in a push up contest.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Note: This thread is 5343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!