IGNORED

Used Golf Balls...good deal or bad investment?

Dr_Fu_Manchu
Note: This thread is 5539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I understand we're talking about 5 or 6 yards difference in a lot of cases but I also wouldn't be so quick to jump all over a study by golf digest related to golf balls.

If anyone is "in bed' with Titleist it's Golf Digest. They both want you to buy new balls. The golf ball industry hates all of these new used ball sites on the internet.

I'm not saying I don't believe the study, but I'm certainly a little skeptical of it as well because I've never been able to tell a difference.

You can make statistics say whatever you want, especially when it's just an article in a golf magazine and there is financial profit involved.

I understand we're talking about 5 or 6 yards difference in a lot of cases but I also wouldn't be so quick to jump all over a study by golf digest related to golf balls.

Advertising/marketing $$$$ are how GD stay in business. Just like anything else, money can buy what ever scientific results you want to buy. Do I think a scratch golfer should use used balls? NO. Do I think someone like myself who will most likely lose a couple balls per round (used to be 4-5) should play used balls? YES, I'm not going to motice 5 yards on a drive, I'm just happy it went straight. 215 yds vs 220? who cares? We're just playing a game. So to sum it up, if you are loosing balls quickly, then test out some ebay cheapies, until you can keep it inbounds.

In my bag are
Hibore XLS 10.5*
Hibore XLS 22* 3i Hybrid
TA7 irons 3-PW, SW
CG11 60* LW VP #5 putter.

Advertising/marketing $$$$ are how GD stay in business. Just like anything else, money can buy what ever scientific results you want to buy. Do I think a scratch golfer should use used balls? NO. Do I think someone like myself who will most likely lose a couple balls per round (used to be 4-5) should play used balls? YES, I'm not going to motice 5 yards on a drive, I'm just happy it went straight. 215 yds vs 220? who cares? We're just playing a game. So to sum it up, if you are loosing balls quickly, then test out some ebay cheapies, until you can keep it inbounds.

Exactly what I'm saying. Well put.

I very much agree. I would also like to punctuate the importance of using the same ball all the time. I know many players that use whatever they find and buy of lake balls on the pro shop. Some are cheerful for finding an old, hard and worn out Top Flite in a bucket of range balls.

I only play one ball, used ones btw, and I feel much more confident on and around the greens with it. For longer shots it does not matter as much, but when you are trying to stick a flop shot to the pin you have to know the ball you are hitting. Also when putting it's important to know the feel of the ball. Distance is all about feel, how can you be consistant there if you play 10 different types of balls during one round? I hate hard balls on the green, it's like putting a rock.

You don't need expensive balls, play with some different ones and pick the one you like best and doesn't cost too much. On eBay you can pick up a lot of different brands and models.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know I don't make full use of the Pro V1's, but I don't see why I shouldn't use them. I love the balls, especially around and on the greens. I might try E5+ next time, but for now I've got loads of used Pro V1's bought from eBay. I played with them all last year and never experienced any difficulties. The balls are more than good enough for my play at this stage. I also hit away some, so I won't buy new ones at this point.

$500 driver. Yikes! When it comes to drivers, I defintly think the best deals are used or last year's model that has been discounted.

I'm probably as cheap as anyone on here, but I fall on the new ball is a better deal side. Balls are designed to be disposable. You can't be sure of the condition of a used ball. I don't see how you can say you are being consistent by using a used ball. That's like saying you are consistent because you only buy used Ford pickup trucks (based strictly on how the look on the outisde.) You can't tell by looking at the outisde of a truck what condition it is in. You have to check the inside and engine. Same with a golf ball (only there is no way to determine the inside condition of a ball.) The ratings all have to do with how the ball looks on the outside, they don't tell you anything about the inside. Also the pro-v1 (which seems to be the object of every used ball buyer's affection) may actually not even be the best ball for a high handicapper. The link below has a comparison of ball distances using a 90 mph swing speed (probably more realistic for the average golfer, high or low handicap.) The pro-v1 was one of the SHORTEST balls at that swing speed (a full 10 yards shorter than the comprable Taylor Made.) Still not a big deal imho, if your primary goal is to find the right ball with the right feel. But, if you are losing another 10 yards on top of that by using a used ball then it does become a big deal. http://www.golf.com/golf/features/flash/ballguide3.html I hate to link to another golf forum, but since they are a SandTrap partner, GolfWrx has a really good section that allows users to comment on equipment. http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showforum=17 Someone on another tread mentioned the Precept U-Tri as a ball that is uncannily similar to the pro-v1 at half the price (approx. $20 a doz.) That forum seems to bear out his opinion. My point is if you look around, you're likely to find a new ball that meets your needs that actually costs less than the used pro-v1s. I know you feel you are getting the best you can afford by purchasing used pro-v1s, but imho you are getting less than the best (and paying more for it besides.) PS to the person that runs this site. A forum setup to discuss equipment like this one would be nice here. We already have the book forum in that format.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I have tested many balls, but don't notice any significant difference among the equal type. Those 10 yards may be true for my driver, but I don't notice anything there either. Distance is not my worry at this point anyways, I'm looking for accuracy. Those 10 yards can make me change club, not a big problem. On the other side, I usually make it up with good short game, something I could not have done with many different balls. My main idea was to use one ball and one ball only. Since I've used the Pro V1 alot due to extremely cheap new balls from my company I chose them.

Also something commented in the article:
Given how similar ball performance off the driver is, even some everyday players should start thinking about greenside performance more than how long a ball might be off the tee. The extra five or seven yards you get probably aren't as important as the opportunity to save strokes with your short game. It's simple: pricier balls typically provide more spin and greenside control.

Still, you have many valid points, I will look at my ball situation by the end of this season. At this point I've got enough balls for the rest of the year, but I would like to give it a new go sometime. My swing has also changed for the better last year and will even so this year, I'll hold my horses until it's more consistent, making it easier to test balls.

Does someone on eBay sell 3-4 balls of different brands and models for testing purposes? Edit: By the way, does it exist a similar test with range of swing speeds? I haven't tested my speed yet, but I'll have to know it before using a table for a set swing speed. Is it possible to use the ball speed instead if this is fairly consistent? I'd think your swing speed doesn't matter as much as the ball speed, which can vary with different clubs. Not to mention how you come through the ball. A mishit will lose tons of distance, even with a swing speed of 120.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

The 60 used Titelists i bought from Amazon should be here on monday. I only want them for chipping practice. Bad idea?

I say perfect idea. You are just chipping around a field, right? I mean if you want to practice hitting a 5 foot circle from 100 yards out, so you can do that on the course, then I would prctice with the same balls you use on the course. If you are like me and lust want the ball to go relativly straight, then used balls for practice are fine.

In my bag are
Hibore XLS 10.5*
Hibore XLS 22* 3i Hybrid
TA7 irons 3-PW, SW
CG11 60* LW VP #5 putter.

One thing I like about having loads of used balls of the same type is practice. My local course is fairly small, so I'm often all alone on it. I can use this time to practice with these balls on the range or on a hole. I usually hit one or two clubs so the balls don't spray all over the place, then go pick them up again. Much better than range balls anyways.

Would've been cool with a slightly downhill range made of artificial grass which made the balls roll back towards the place you hit it from. Kinda like Phil did on The US Open 08.

imho... i dont think a mid to high hcp player is gonna notice too much of a difference in used vs new balls except the price...
ive played brand new out of the box balls and weathered water balls of the same brand and make... the only difference ive found is on and near the green...
when i compared brand new balls and used balls that were in great condition... i saw no difference at all... after the first hole... the new ball had been hit with the driver... a wedge... and a few putts... the new ball had scuffs on it after 1 hole... and played the same thru the front 9...
the used ball in great condition... guess what... reacted unnoticeably different/same as the new one...
maybe if i was an extremely low handicap and could pinpoint/shape shots the exact way i wanted... then the condition of the balls would be a major factor... but until then... i see nothing wrong physically with good condition used balls...
if youre a mid to high handicap and believe a used ball in good shape isnt a good idea... id say its up to you cuz golf is a mental game as well as a physical game...
good used or brand new doesnt affect the mental aspects to my game... but if it affects yours... by all means buy brand new ones
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I say perfect idea. You are just chipping around a field, right? I mean if you want to practice hitting a 5 foot circle from 100 yards out, so you can do that on the course, then I would prctice with the same balls you use on the course. If you are like me and lust want the ball to go relativly straight, then used balls for practice are fine.

Chipping around the practice green. And putting. Is practice putting with a used ball a bad idea? I should really ask these questions once i see what condition the balls are in.

Note: This thread is 5539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!