IGNORED

Online handicap

jrm1493
Note: This thread is 4229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can anyone recommend an online handicap service that provide an official USGA handicap? Online appeals to me because it just seems annoying to have to deliver scorecards to a physical location; I'm an engineer so I already track everything in great detail its just not official for tournament play.

It looks like Golfsmith has a decent system, but I haven't been able to find many details about how it works - If I have to turn in scorecards to a store that seems no different than going to a local course... can anyone let me know how it works? Thanks.

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

I have been using the online system on Golf.com for several years now. It's an official handicap and allows me to track lots of stats as well. I can even print out an official handicap card. I have also noticed The Golf Channel.com has a sevice (I think it's called Game Tracker). GolfGalaxy.com also has one that I tried when they first started it several years back, but I had already signed up for Golf.com and was just trying the free trial.

As far as I know, all of these systems are basically the same. You simply enter the scores after your round. Most of the courses are already in the system (at least with golf.com), so the slope and rating are already filled in. Occasionally I have to enter a course, but that's pretty easy as well if you've got the score card in front of you.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I've been pleased with www.ushandicap.com . Easy, inexpensive, and decent stats tracking too.

Be a little careful. Some on-line handicap services don't provide an "official" handicap that meets the USGA requirements.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Be wary of some online handicapping things. They might calculate a handicap and do other things, but some of them aren't "legal" USGA handicaps because they lack the "peer review" component that's required of handicap systems.

Heck, Scorecard can calculate your handicap and a ton of stats, but it's not a "legal" handicap. It should be the SAME as your "legal" handicap, but you can't print off a handicap card from Scorecard and have it accepted by the USGA or anything.

Check things out before you commit to one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've been using the GHIN.com system since joining my home course last October.

I think all the members there use this system. It makes entering rounds from various courses a breeze.....just find the course & tees and enter your score.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

+1 for GHIN here. I pay twenty something dollars a year to join through my local muninciple club, which is a memeber of the Tennessee Golf Association.

During peak season it is updated every two weeks. GHIN will notify you of updates in your handicap, so you don't have to keep up with the schedule. I can print my own card sticker but they also print them, and I usually peel my new ones off the sheet when I am at the clubhouse.

GHIN lets you enter 9 hole rounds and combine them to an 18 hole score. That's also very convenient for me since it's not uncommon for me to sneak in a quick 9 late in the evening during the summer.

I use the GHIN system at my home course. I don't have to deliver cards anywhere. Just walk into the club house after the round, make a couple of mouse clicks, toss my card in the trash and go home. It's easy.

I use the Golf Channel's Golf Tracker. Same system as others described, official and it has some nice extras. For instance, if you keep your stats well you can put in a desired handicap in one section and it wil give you how you compare in certain areas (greens hit, fairways hit, number of putts, etc.) to others with that handicap, then you can see where you might need improvement to reach that goal and there are links to instructional videos and columns specific to that area.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

• 2 months later...
I used golf.com's handicap software for the last two years. I was really pleased last year but lately the handicap section of golf.com has been down. Its really frustrating as I have a number of rounds to enter.

Next year I am joining a local course and purchasing Scorecard for stats. Its just too frustrating to watch the website go down for a week at a time.

Sorry for the rant.

G10
SteelHead III
I3
Vockey
588 BC-2

I used ghin last season when I joined the work golf league but didn't do it again this year. It was a breeze but since I don't play "competitive" golf in a league or tournys I just use my handicap calculation I get from Scorecard. If I get good enough to start playing tournys I will use GHIN.com again.

I've been using the GHIN.com system since joining my home course last October.

Why use anything else? Just pay for the Golf Handicap and Information Network® (GHIN) handicap at your home course and enter any score from any course online. GHIN.com

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Is there such a thing as a free official USGA Handicap? I haven't found
one yet! If not, why? Golfchannel.com , GHIN.com , golf.com charge.
Instead of paying I'd rather just know my approximate handicap using ((Score-Rating)*113)/Slope=differential. Take lowest differential * .96
(Sorry, quick & crude version)

Its just frustrating that when people ask me what my handicap is, I have to
tell them that I don't have one.

Any advice on a free official USGA Handicap or revision on the formula
would be very much appreciated. Sorry for the little rant!

• Administrator
Is there such a thing as a free official USGA Handicap?

No.

If not, why?

Because the "club" has to pay. For example, my two clubs pay GHIN for use of their software, their computer, etc.

Instead of paying I'd rather just know my approximate handicap

If you don't want an official one why ask for an official one?

You can calculate one yourself and it should be the same as all the "paid" ones, but it's not official at all. That's what you pay for.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik, I DO want an Official Handicap! So I can talk to other golfers about it. So all you get for your money is that its an "Official Handicap"? If golf truly wants to improve and grow the game, then anyone should be entitled to a FREE OFFICIAL HANDICAP!

To my understanding, there are a large number of sites that will calculate your handicap for free. This isn't an "official" handicap that you could use for tournaments and so forth. However, it is (or should be) the same number you would get from an "official" source, enabling you to talk about it and compare

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

• Administrator
Erik, I DO want an Official Handicap! So I can talk to other golfers about it.

An "official" handicap will just let you enter tournaments and things. If you just want a handicap index, you can use the various free sites to figure it out. Nobody's ever asked me to see my "official" handicap card...

So all you get for your money is that its an "Official Handicap"? If golf truly wants to improve and grow the game, then anyone should be entitled to a FREE OFFICIAL HANDICAP!

I don't think you understand how things work... If you're not yet hooked on golf, you don't care about your handicap index. If you're serious about golf enough that you want an official handicap index, you've likely joined a club that includes it in the membership or you pay the $25 to $35 for it. It's less than a dozen balls. Or most golf towels.

• 2 weeks later...
Weird I just checked out most of these sites and it seems like 90% of them are down right now. Golfchannel.com's wouldn't work, golf.com's is down, ushandicap.com gave a "Check back Monday" message.

I really want to use one of these. I don't have a "home course" at all, I am very likely going to be moving in 2 months and I don't know to where, and from what I can tell the GHIN.com one needs to be done through a specific course. I would much rather use one of these purely online clubs so I can just play any random courses and post online.

It is about time I got an official handicap. I think I'm going to buy the golfsmith.com one or the golfgalaxy.com one. Anyone have experience with either of these? Or any advice? Thanks and sorry for the lengthy explanation.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

Note: This thread is 4229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!