IGNORED

Mickelson continues to impress me.......

Hidalgo
Note: This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You gotta love this guy. He's probably got more raw talent than anyone on Tour (even Tiger). Continually causing huge roars with his short game, and causing huge moans with the driver. Taking chances that no sane player would attempt. He's "Mr. Excitement" as far as I am concerned, and except for Fred Couples, he's absolutely my favorite player. Phil walks the ropes between holes nodding and smiling at the gallery, sometimes having a quick word for a kid standing there. He ALWAYS gives his glove and ball to a youngster when he exits the 18th green. He actually gave away 3 Cameron putters (and took the time to sign them no less!) during a tournament 2 years ago...one after each of his first three rounds (he wasn't putting very well at the time). At the Masters during Wednesday practice, he signs autographs when the opportunity presents itself and it doesn't hold up play (even though the Masters staff says this is a NO-NO). He donates huge sums of money on a regular basis, never says anything derogatory about a fellow competitor or caddie (are you reading this, Steve Williams?).

A lot of you might not like Phil. And sometimes you and I surely question his intelligence on the course. But you have to give him a nod as far as excitement and courtesy are concerned. A lot of players could learn a lot from following Phil around a course and watching him interact with the fans.

I hope he has 3 more good rounds this week. He's definitely my pick for Augusta at this point in time.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No argruement here.And yesterday he hit his driver fairly straight!!! I will buy his new short game Video simply cause I am lefty and will not have to turn each word around as I listen.The interview after the round made a lot of sense thet by doing the CD he helped his own short game.He seems to be the only guy on this site that gets bashed for being a nice guy.It seems EVERYBODY knows somebody who knows somebody who knows him and he is a phony.Well maybe all the rest of these REAL people should start being a little more phony because the fans eat it up and they pay the frieght.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Yeah he definitely put on a short game clinic yesterday...he only had 20 PUTTS!!! That's unreal. I have had 20 putts on 9 holes before. I definitely want to check out his DVD as well...I am sure he will have some good tips and ideas on the short game. Anyone know when this is being released? I heard it was sometime in April.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

It seems EVERYBODY knows somebody who knows somebody who knows him and he is a phony.

Hmmmmm? I'm fairly new here and didn't realize that he was looked upon that way. I can't believe that, however. With the media coverage and photo hounds out there, there would be some hard evidence of his real personality if it weren't what we see on TV. You can't "put on" forever and he's always pleasant with the crowd and usually offers a smile or nod. A friend of mine plays off and on on the Champions tour and has clubhouse privileges at the regular tour events. He always talks highly of Phil. But...he isn't so complimentary of Tiger and some others.

I have had 20 putts on 9 holes before.....

Yeah....I've been there before myself.

Hmmmmm? I'm fairly new here and didn't realize that he was looked upon that way. I can't believe that, however. With the media coverage and photo hounds out there, there would be some hard evidence of his real personality if it weren't what we see on TV. You can't "put on" forever and he's always pleasant with the crowd and usually offers a smile or nod. A friend of mine plays off and on on the Champions tour and has clubhouse privileges at the regular tour events. He always talks highly of Phil. But...he isn't so complimentary of Tiger and some others.

I have heard stories that guys on tour call him FIGJAM...stands for F

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I am personally a huge fan of Phil. He's my favorite player to watch by far - he's seldom boring. But there are constantly stories and rumors that Phil is not very well liked and that many of his peers think he is a phony (and a know-it-all as well). I've always thought he seems to be more sincere than most other players, but then again I only see him on TV.

My all-time favorite players are Phil and Tom Watson. What they have in common is that both come across as great guys and both have had among the best short games in history, which made them exciting to watch because they are/were never out of a hole.

The fact Phil had 20 putts yesterday is incredible, but the fact he had only 8 putts on back 9 is simply unbelievable. However, my concern is that he had to rely on 3 or 4 hole outs to be where he's at. Chances are, he's not going to be able to do that everyday. He needs to hit more greens specifically and fairways (which might lead to more greens) to become more consistent. I'm rooting for him at Augusta, but he's got to improve his iron play to contend.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Perhaps the reason Phil comes off as a know-it-all is because he's a very intelligent person. His hobbies are the stock markets/finance and he has a penchant for science. "Most" guys on tour would prefer to talk about the Celtics and Knicks, etc. That might be the case for the statements that he is hard to talk to and doesn't have a lot of "friends" out there. It's hard to communicate with someone who has interests that you can't even pronounce the name of.

Sample:

TIGER: "Hey Phil, did you see the Bulls game last night?"

PHIL: "No, I was studying my stock portfolio. And by the way...did you know that the shaft in your wedge vibrates twice as fast when you hit it off of Bermuda than if you hit it off of Bent grass? And the sun angle this morning was 2* more to the West than yesterday?!"

Phil Mikkelson and Tiger Woods should have became the Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer of the current generation. Phil, so far has just never lived up to his end of the bargain. But, he is playing really well and this might be the time for him to become the other man to Tiger. He needs to get it done because some historic golf battles could come between him and Tiger. Historical battles.

One more thing, somebody should take Phil, Tiger, Jack and Arnold and put them together in a two man best ball, for prime time TV, and have them talk about golf and golf history, during the match. It would be something for the ages. Who, wouldn't want to hear those conversations.

And, for the history of the game, all four should agree to do it. It is something that would have to happen soon, well Palmer and Nicklaus are still in good health.

• Administrator
Perhaps the reason Phil comes off as a know-it-all is because he's a very intelligent person.

Uhh, no, that's not it.

Phil puts on a good show. That is all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

there are fans and haters of phil... i dont know him personally nor do i know if he's "real" or not... so with that disclaimer out of the way... ill comment on his style of play...
in my opinion... phil loves to take risks and to me that makes him exciting to watch... he will put himself in the worst situations (situations that ive been in many times) and manage to get out of them with a par or better...
its amazing to watch precision and accuracy and wanting to shoot a perfect game... but right now i cant relate to that... its surreal to me and somewhat boring after a whole day of it... like watching nascar with no wrecks...
id rather see a guy like tommy armour III get a snow man (which they will show on tv) than him being in 23rd place making a birdie(which since he's 23rd wont get shown on tv anyway)
but i like watching phil cuz you never know what to expect out of his game
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I have heard stories that guys on tour call him FIGJAM...stands for F
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I like Phil for 2 reasons: 1) he's a lefty just like me AND 2) I constantly find myself watching him play and yelling "PHIL, DON'T DO IT!"......entertainment at its' finest.

Driver: Tour Burner TP 9.5* Whiteboard Stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19*
Irons: 4-pw Mp-32 S300
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56* and 60*
Putter: Newport 2 34" 340gBall: Pro-V1 or NXT-tourShoes: Adidas Tour 360 LTD

i just cant get enough of his short game... he has some amazing shots around the greens. I also love the fact that hes a lefty and he uses Callaway clubs. He is definitely one of my favorites along with Tiger and Ogilvy
Driver: Callaway Octane Tour 9.5* w/ Oban Tour Prototype Stiff
3 Wood: Titleist 909F2 15.5* w/ Oban Revenge Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea A7 3H 4H
Iron: Mizuno MP-52 Project X 5.5 5-PW
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52* 56* 60*Putter: Odyssey Black Series #1Bag: Callaway Warbird Stand Bag

The difference in Phil this weekend is his work ethic, the very thing that makes alot of people rag on him, myself included.

Nick Faldo says hes been showing up at 10:00 for a 2:00 tee time.... this is the work Phil needs to put in if he is going to live up to his expectations. I also thought his post round interview was a good one... shocker, I know.

Perhaps the reason Phil comes off as a know-it-all is because he's a very intelligent person. His hobbies are the stock markets/finance and he has a penchant for science.

???????????

Most wealthy people have an interest in how their money is invested. I hardly think that an interest in his own investments would equate to "intelligence". As for a "penchant for science" .....Whenever there is a profile of a player they ask them what their favourite subject at school was. I doubt that he's doing experiments in his basement and reading books about astronomy at night time. He also doesn't come across as a "know it all". He's a fantastic golfer with an amazing short game who is exciting to watch because he is occasionally wild off the tee and likes trying risky shots which come off sometimes. Let's not unfairly endow him with other qualities.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

i love watching Phil. I love how he always takes chances and when he is playing well its exciting. he is very easy-going. but he can be so frustrating to watch at times too. but thats what also makes him fun to watch. and i really like the way he carries himself on the course: he doesnt throw his clubs, and he doesnt pout and act like the world is against him when he misses a putt. he is definitely not a boring golfer. im really hoping he does well this year and gets a couple of wins along with a major.

Note: This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!