IGNORED

Vokey Spin milled wedges

Note: This thread is 6580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently hit some balls with a vokey spin milled 60.04 oil can wedge and loved it although i have heard some bad things about them wearing out pretty quickly, any thoughts?

In the bag:
8.5* Titleist 975D- Penley ETA xstiff
15* Cleveland Launcher- Launcher Gold Stiff
19* Titleist 503H True Temper S300
3-PW Cleveland TA4- Tour Action graphite stiff54* BeCu Cleveland 58860* Maxfli Winners SeriesPING TSI Ally 1Pro V1

There are quite a few guys playing the Spin Milled Vokeys around here and there haven't been many complaints about them wearing out. I owned a 56-degree SM and loved it but have since replaced it with Oil Cans in different lofts you can see in my signature. I don't think you'll have to worry about one wearing out. I'd recommend the Spin Milled series without reservation.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

thanks

In the bag:
8.5* Titleist 975D- Penley ETA xstiff
15* Cleveland Launcher- Launcher Gold Stiff
19* Titleist 503H True Temper S300
3-PW Cleveland TA4- Tour Action graphite stiff54* BeCu Cleveland 58860* Maxfli Winners SeriesPING TSI Ally 1Pro V1

I have heard about them wearing quickly...but I've not tried them.

L4Vx Diamana Red
Burner 15° R
#5 3DX DC
Raptures 4-U Wedge z-z65 Shafts
SM Oil Can Vokey 56° Black Series i #1 b330

I've heard of them wearing the balls out quickly but not the clubface. My buddy has one that he bought when they first came out. He plays 3 rounds a week and it still looks tip top. Hitting his, after that many rounds on it, is the main reason I just bought a non spin milled Vokey. I DO NOT need any more spin on the ball. I never get a low score spinning the ball back so I wanted that quality but not that aggressivness.

Next to my putter it's now my favorite club in the bag. I'm set to buy a vokey 60° as soon as I can decide between 4° and 8° bounce.

I have never heared of any SM wearing out quickly but who knows? Since the club material is the same as the other Vokey's and the only difference is the milling process, I can't see them wearing out any sooner than the other oil cans. But again...who knows?

I've heard of them wearing the balls out quickly but not the clubface. My buddy has one that he bought when they first came out. He plays 3 rounds a week and it still looks tip top. Hitting his, after that many rounds on it, is the main reason I just bought a non spin milled Vokey. I DO NOT need any more spin on the ball. I never get a low score spinning the ball back so I wanted that quality but not that aggressivness.

Go with the 8º bounce, you can still open it all the way up and it performs well from the sand.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

I highly recommend the Vokey Spin Mill wedges. I can't see how one could go wrong using them. As far as longevity is concerned, I have used Vokey wedges for five years. My first Vokeys are in great shape, including the non- Spin Mill oil can versions I own along with some chrome ones. My Spin Mill wedges are new, but my guess is they will wear equally well. Yesterday I was playing the new NXT Tour ball. I hit the same ball with my 56* several times during the round. I noticed easily several scuff marks left by the wedge. This has been the only wear issue I've noticed: on the balls and not the wedge. Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

• Administrator
Go with the 8º bounce, you can still open it all the way up and it performs well from the sand.

I disagree and say go the opposite way. 8 is too much bounce for some of the tighter lies you'll encounter. Go with four and use your sand wedge from bunkers OR lay your sand wedge open. Also, a square 60.04 works great from hard sand (where you don't want much bounce).

8 is waaaaaaaaay too much on a 60, at least for my game, and if you are versatile with your wedges, I recommend having one with low bounce and one with a lot of bounce.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
As to the "wear" issue, here are my experiences in brief:

1) the initial "holy shit did you see that ball suck 83 feet back?" spin wears off pretty quickly. This is, as they say, "A Good Thing ™" because who wants to do that much damage to balls and to be that unreliable. They really drastically over-spin at first.

2) that wears off quickly and you get consistent spin for years.

3) the oil-can finish wears off really quickly, but that's part of the point. Hit two or three shots from the sand and you'll see plenty of silver already.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have the 60º04 and its absolutely awesome...The spin, the low bounce slightly extra head weight compared to my Cleveland 588 60º and its shaft is a half inch longer. Just a perfect wedge. Its only flaw if I had to pick one was that I used to be able to muscle up my Cleveland to 100yards max carry and w/ the Titleist so far 85 is about max. If I swing any harder, the ball wont really get any further, just goes offline. I like it most when I accidentally get in my uncomfortable zone (40-70 yards) It inspires confidence and w/ practice makes those shots easier as it hits the green and stops dead right there. I cant count how many times I have just knocked down pins this year inside 85 yards, best hundred bucks I have in my bag.....
In my bag
Driver Nike SQ Tour 9.5º X Flex NV-60
Fairway Woods Titleist 904f 15º Fujikura X flex
Mizuno Fli Hi 18º DG X100
Irons Mizuno MP-33 3-PW DG X100 +1" 2ºuprightWedges Mizuno 56º sandTitleist SM60º LobPutter Scotty Cameron Newport MidSlant Pro PlatinumBall Pro...

I am playing a 60° with 6° bounce right now but it's a knockoff and I'm replacing clubs as I can. I think I would rather have the low bounce for playing off the fairway and tightlies and learn to use lower bounce wedges out of the sand. I stick the 60° out of the sand pretty close to the pin with regularity so it shouldn't be a HUGE transition.

I'm trying to decide fininsh though. I got the 25610 in last years black nickel. I was thinking tour chrome or oil can for the 60. Does the tour chrome stand up well?

I play mostly on two courses. One has rather firm fairways, and the other is less firm. The 8º performs excellently for me on both courses. I use my 60º for every shot from within 80 yards so versatility is huge to me. I can hit towering flop shots from tight lies on the firm fairways no problem. It really comes down to the kind of shots you play and how you play them, if you need 4º bounce to hit the shots you need to hit - the way you hit them - then the 4º is for you. For me the 8º accomplishes everything I can ask it to do.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

I have both the 56.14 and 60.8, standard finish. For my game I like both.

I have several hundred strokes on each and both still look new. They are tough on balls though, particularly pro V1's.

I have both the 56.14 and 60.8, standard finish. For my game I like both.

Your right, they are hard on Pro V1's. Even some range balls w/ the super hard covers, I was hitten balls at a range the other day (off a mat) and after every shot it was pick up club, wipe the white chunks out of the first 3 or so grooves and hit next shot, then Repeat. On another note, I played today in semi wet conditions and I chili dipped that 60.04 like 3 times, I dont know if it was the low bounce or me being stupid but that was irratating, couldnt have been the bounce though right? I almost never do that... I think I was just trying to be to cute w/ it.

In my bag
Driver Nike SQ Tour 9.5º X Flex NV-60
Fairway Woods Titleist 904f 15º Fujikura X flex
Mizuno Fli Hi 18º DG X100
Irons Mizuno MP-33 3-PW DG X100 +1" 2ºuprightWedges Mizuno 56º sandTitleist SM60º LobPutter Scotty Cameron Newport MidSlant Pro PlatinumBall Pro...

Note: This thread is 6580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!