IGNORED

Stack and Tilt Method

Note: This thread is 5427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not talking to anyone in particular, but I love how some golfers feel they can completely change swing paradigms, on their own and without help, and do so overnight and really "try it out."

Tiger takes months to change his swing a few degrees or a few inches, but some bogey golfer somewhere decides that Thursday sounds like a great day to try Stack and Tilt, then does so. Ha! Funniest thing I've heard today.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not talking to anyone in particular, but I love how some golfers feel they can completely change swing paradigms, on their own and without help, and do so overnight and really "try it out."

Actually Butch I've been studying the Stack and Tilt swing for a couple weeks now and hitting many balls with the swing. My first time on the course with it I shot 39 (+3) which ties my best score. I also hit 5 greens, and all but one fairway. I could've easily shot +1 or +2 if I putted well.

Anway, Stack and Tilt works if you know how to swing it. It's not just a matter of "Oh I won't shift my weight, it's the Stack and Tilt".

• Administrator
Actually Butch I've been studying the Stack and Tilt swing for a couple weeks now and hitting many balls with the swing.

Yeah, you seem to have missed the "I'm not talking to anyone in particular" part.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Butch knows who he was talking to.

20+ posts in this thread and you seem convinced I was talking to you. And I thought I had an ego!

Isn't it more likely that I was kind of responding to the guy RIGHT BEFORE my post rather than you? That, of course, if you want to assume I was lying and talking to anyone even generally, which is the opposite of what I said to begin with. But hey, with a handicap of 12.9, you keep your S&T; swing. I could probably replace the & with "hi" and be more accurate. Zing!

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I think that ANY golf swing is an ever evolving chore. Stack and tilt, one plane, two plane, airplane, whatever ... each individual golfer needs to work, evolve, digest, regurgitate, experiment ... whatever it takes to improve.

Not every golfer has access and/or means to take lessons; many, many golfers (myself included here) have gleened tons of useless, helpful, marginal information from golf magazines, golf instruction books, the internet etc., and tried to incorporate them into our games.

Back on point to the topic ... fad or not, flash in the pan or not, trend dying or alive, the stack and tilt had/has it's place. For a very long time I struggled with consistency and ball striking. My good shots would be good; my bad shots would be horendous. Without lessons I struggled to find that "magic cure."

For me, the Golf Digest article came at about the right time. What stack and tilt did for me (I know now) was keep my weight centered without shifting. What that meant in MY swing was S&T; stopped me from swaying back and forth. Consistency improved and ball striking improved and that "instant success" you read about from first timer S&T; players was there - because S&T; eliminated some of the mistakes we hackers incorporate into our swings sight unseen.

My success with S&T; waned because I stopped hitting woods and long irons without a slice (you'll see on here in other places my cry for help with that). Since then, I've incorporated a more centered stance, learned to shift my weight without swaying and cut out my excessive knee bends. My consistency, tempo, ball striking and scoring has improved. Like S&T; it may be short lived, but I hope not. And like before, my swing will be ever evolving.

My point in all of this rambling is simply this: S&T; had it's place or pro's like Weir and Baddely wouldn't have incorporated it. For the mid- to high- handicapper, it might be that one swing "help" that keeps them engaged and in the game and keeps them from selling their clubs on e-bay.

In 1997-1998 Tiger Woods totally re-tooled his swing. Why, because he sucked? I doubt it. Because he wanted to be better than better and get better. If S&T;, one-plane, two-plane, lessons, books, videos or internet banter helps the next golfer get better than what's ever better for them, I'm all for it. Calling S&T; a fad and taking a definitive stance on either side - for or against - is just plain stupid. Any golfer that can get one, two, three shots shaved by incorporating a "fad" into their swing to stay engaged and have fun at this sport ... I'm all for that!

Sorry for my long and winding RANT, but this forum was getting a little off topic and a little too "heated." ... ... my two cents worth ... ...
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

Just in my defense, my "trying" stack and tilt hasn't been an overnight magical thing. At three lessons a week, an average of 3 hours at the range when I have the time and daylight for using a video camera and numerous rounds of practice for the last month and a half, I really don't think its been an overnight "fix."

I do realize I wasn't very descriptive when I mentioned I'm trying stack and tilt. The problem I'm having with my driver is I've been trying to use my arms and muscle it. I just started doing that the last round I played. This is a common recurrence, always trying to whack the snot out of the ball.

Not trying to add fuel to the fire, no offense to Butch or anyone else

In my standbag:

Sumo2 5900 Driver, 9.5*, Diamana stiff flex
SQ Dymo, 17* 4wood, Widebody UST stiff flex
R7 irons 4-9 Project X 6.0 shafts 3i MP Fli-Hi hybrid CG10 56*, 60*/CG14 46*, 52* G5i Zing putter One Platinum or ProV1(x)OFF! Deep WoodsiGotcha! ball retriever

Note: This thread is 5427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!