IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

a tad off topic, but i think in the next 5 years, somebody will actually challange Tiger on a weekly basis-nobody thought anybody would be as good as Jack, and nobody thinks that anybody will be as good as tiger.....WATCH OUT TIGER!!!!!! Someone is coming for you

PS. In case you thought i was talking about me, I wasn't

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

To me this is a bit like comparing Jim Brown to Walter Payton/Emmitt Smith/Eric Dickerson/etc. Jim Brown had the best averages of any running back ever, and some say he IS the best ever. But he retired early and never PROVED he could accomplish the things the other guys eventually accomplished.

I'm not saying he couldn't have or wouldn't have, but we have to give credit to guys who actually did it.

Comparing Jack to Tiger at this point is kind of the same thing. Tiger has outperformed Jack up to this relative point in their careers, but Tiger is yet to accomplish most of the things Jack did. Tiger has possibly had the best 9 years or so that any golfer has ever had. But I still have to give the nod to Jack at this time. He PROVED he could keep the focus necessary for the long term.

Honestly, I fully expect Tiger to continue on and win 20+ majors and break most of the other records out there. But until he actually does it, I still have to say Jack is THE man.

Tiger. He has dominated the tour.

Driver F/Speed 9.5
3 Wood F/Speed
5 Wood: F-50
Hybrids 3&4 Cobra
Irons MX-23 5i-PW Wedge52* and 58* Mizuno MP Putter:Rife Barbados  Ball: Bridgstone E6+

a tad off topic, but i think in the next 5 years, somebody will actually challange Tiger on a weekly basis-nobody thought anybody would be as good as Jack, and nobody thinks that anybody will be as good as tiger.....WATCH OUT TIGER!!!!!! Someone is coming for you

I don't think that's off topic. I think this topic has been around too long, though. Nicklaus predicted that a Tiger would come along some day. I believe* he said there will be a player over six feet tall, swinging a 48" driver and hitting it 350 yards in the fairway. Jack pretty much called that one. Tiger's turn will come after he wins the rest of those tournaments. *(believe = I have a case of CRS)

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I don't think that's off topic. I think this topic has been around too long, though. Nicklaus predicted that a Tiger would come along some day. I believe* he said there will be a player over six feet tall, swinging a 48" driver and hitting it 350 yards in the fairway. Jack pretty much called that one. Tiger's turn will come after he wins the rest of those tournaments.

the only thing wrong with jacks statement is that tiger doesn't hit it in the fairway with the old long stick very much

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

the only thing wrong with jacks statement is that tiger doesn't hit it in the fairway with the old long stick very much

Well, you got me and Jack on that one. Maybe that fairway thing is overrated. Maybe Jack forgot to mention the guy could get up and down from 120 yards with his ball under a cactus

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Augusta Georgia, 1984, Jack Nicklaus replied to all of them, "I baptize you with water. But the one who is more powerful than I is coming. I am not worthy to untie his golf shoes. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Augusta Georgia, 1984, Jack Nicklaus replied to all of them, "I baptize you with water. But the one who is more powerful than I is coming. I am not worthy to untie his golf shoes. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."

When they finally re-write the Bible, I hope you are on retainer.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:

Tiger with his incredible workout ethics, will continue wining into his late 50's.

Driver F/Speed 9.5
3 Wood F/Speed
5 Wood: F-50
Hybrids 3&4 Cobra
Irons MX-23 5i-PW Wedge52* and 58* Mizuno MP Putter:Rife Barbados  Ball: Bridgstone E6+

When they finally re-write the Bible, I hope you are on retainer.

Amen to that.

whats in my bag,

Driver- 975D 7.5*
3 wood- 975F 13*
Irons- 2-pw Acushnet Tungsten AC-108'swedges-58* 64*putter-bag- staff I know its huge, but I dig it " I am McLovin"

Although I'm an athiest, I'll go along with the current religous thing.

Bobby Jones = God

Jack Nicklaus = Moses

Tiger Woods = Jesus

And then someone even better will arise once judgement day comes.

In My Bag:
Driver: r580XD R flex
3 Wood: Mac Burrows 13*
Irons: Apex 2 iron
Irons: Edge 3-E ('89-92)Wedge: rac TP Satin 56*12Wedge: rac TP Black 60*06Putter: CER Milled CP03 (GolfWorks custom head)Ball: Pro V1 or any other found premimum ball

Jack's goal was to win by 1 stroke
Tiger's goal is to win by 10

If they played head to head in their prime, Jack might win because he was an intimidator, not a nice guy at all and he was extremely intense and focussed, Tiger doesn't have anyone around like that today.

Tiger is a better player, the best player ever . . . it would be fantastic to see them go at it.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Well... how good is Tiger How many Tournaments in a row is it now? about 5/6 and won 8 out the last 9 Tournaments he has played in, I thought this would all come to an end at the matchplay, but now Tiger's won that I'm starting to think... Just how many in a row could Tiger win this year??

I think that regardless of technology or the (IMO) poor argument that Jack had better challengers when he competed, Tiger is the much better golfer, both physically and mentally, remember that Tiger is a world wide franchise, he puts up with all the stresses and strains that Jack never had to put up with, I would also dare to suggest that Tiger is a much more global player than Jack was.

Some people may be adamant that Jack is better than Tiger, but its just not true, Tiger is playing in a time where if he doesn't win a tournament, then the other 71 players in the field can win, Jack was playing in a time where if he didn't win a tournament only a select 3 - 4 other players would have a chance of winning.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

hi

this debate has been running and running.

you cannot compare Jack and Tiger..its like comparing a Spitfire to a Typhoon Eurofighter..they re from different eras.

Id like to do a quantum leap and take Tiger back to Jacks hayday...and get him to use wooden drivers and Dunlop65s..that would be the only way to compare.

Its fair to say the aren't as many 'great' players around now as there was in in the 60s-80s era that have the competitive steel. It seems to me that the rest of the field have a nervous breakdown when Tiger is in contention in the final round. Bet Lee Trevino or Tony Jacklin etc never did this with the frequency that we see today.

bb

hi

You are correct sir. Lee Trevino never lost to Jack in a Major on Sunday. Trevino could be famous for that alone.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:

I say Jack only because he was my grandfathers favorite, and of course my grandfather being one of the men that got me into golf.
Ski

In the bag:
DRIVER:R7 DRAW 10.5 DEG
IRONS: 3100 i/h
PUTTER: OLD SCHOOL GOLDEN BEAR
BALL:JUICE "GINORMOUS"