IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Jack is great and had a tough field, but no one has so revolutionized the game of golf or shown the importance of physical preparation for the game like Tiger.

It's hard to say but the competition from top to bottom is probably tougher today. So the edge goes to Tiger.
Driver: Burner 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha 15*
Hybrid: Burner Rescue 19*
Irons: r7 4-PW
Wedges: CG 12 52* CG 12 56*Putter: White Hot Tour #1

Tiger is what got me interested in golf. Jack was to old for me. His prime was before I was born :)

10.5* Adams Super Fast 10
17*, 21* Adams Black Super Hybrid
X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

It's hard to compare the two because clubs are now more advanced and the players now and then but tiger is incredible

i never saw jack play in his prime but just from seeing his accomplishments and the competition he had i think it is easy to say he is better. He had Palmer Trevino and Watson(who beat tiger by a lot at this years open championship pretty badly). Tiger faces a whole bunch of guys who cant take the pressure. Phil is second best and he doesn't even compare to Palmer trevino or watson.

In my Ping bag:
Driver: Titleist 909 D2 9.5*

3 Wood: Nickent Pro
Irons: Titleist AP2 Project x 5.5Wedges: Titleist Vokey 200 Series Vokey 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: Scotty Cameron Detour 1 (just ordered it)

For me it's Tiger. Jack is undeniably great and has done tons for the game. But Tiger has already helped break down the racial barrier in golf and done more outside of golf than I think anyone except his dad ever imagined.

Third Post, yeah!

I too think Tiger will pass Jack's records, but interestingly, a distinguished panel of experts just ranked the best players in the world for all time (Golf Magazine, a publication of Sports Illustrated) and they ranked Jack very slightly ahead of Tiger right now. I think this means only that, like many of us, the panel knows Tiger has not yet surpassed Jack's feats, but he will.

Since it was a historical type issue, I thought it was particularly interesting to see the distance Paddy Harrington hit the old style golf clubs on a Trackman monitor. Paddy could carry an old persimmon driver of the type Jack started out using only 228.3 yards and total distance of 259.4 yards. He could rip a 1959 Wilson Dyna-Powered 6 iron 148.1 yards and the 9 iron only 106.5 yards (carry distances) -- no wonder I am longer today than back then. Hummmm, I used to play a set of these very clubs a long time ago.

RC

Tiger is incredible!!! He can win anytime. Jack, however has class and an absolute ambassador for the sport.

My vote goes to Tiger!!! Just stop swearing in front of the cameras Tiger!!!

What is in my Audi golf bag:
1. Ping I15 8 degree with Fubuki

2. Miura 15 degree with Fubuki

3. Titleist 18.5 degree with Tour AD

4. Ping G15 21 degree wood

5. Ping G15 23 degree Hybrid

6. Ping S56 P-5 iron with Project X 5.5

7. Miura Wedges with Project X5.5

8. Scotty Cameron Circa 62

9. Titleist Prov1 or Z-Star

Tiger is incredible!!! He can win anytime. Jack, however has class and an absolute ambassador for the sport.

I agree! I think Jack had twice the class Tiger does. That's based on comments from other pros who competed with him and noted how gracious he was to them. Tiger seems to have more raw talent and competitive drive, but there's more to life than winning at golf. When Tiger's dead and gone, he's not taking that golf swing with him. He's gotta give it back to the One who loaned it to him... along with some other things too.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Paddy could carry an old persimmon driver of the type Jack started out using only 228.3 yards and total distance of 259.4 yards. He could rip a 1959 Wilson Dyna-Powered 6 iron 148.1 yards and the 9 iron only 106.5 yards (carry distances) -- no wonder I am longer today than back then. Hummmm, I used to play a set of these very clubs a long time ago.

I think that is a major issue, which many of the younger observers simply haven't taken into account and probably do not realise. Not only the heads but the technology of the shafts, the balance and - especially - the grooves. We will see a difference next year and we will never get back to the old-style heavy heads and 'suck-it-and-see' grooves but it will be intersting to see if there are any differences! I think the ball that stops dead after being hit 150yards out of the rough will be a thing of the past! I really, really think Jack's mastery of the old clubs, the persimmon woods, and so on, over so long a period, is a strong argument in his favour.