IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

You can't compare these two. Its like comparing A-Rod with Babe Ruth. Its a different time, different equipment and different competition. Its fun to ask the question but you need to qualify your answer every time.

Tiger now, Jack then.

Makes for fun discussions still
Gerry

the opposite is true- players win fewer majors each these days because the field is more talented,

where as someone like me would say you're full of it. I'd say the reason there aren't more multiple major winners is because everyone sucks equally. Tom Watson at the british speaks to the amount better golfers weren 30 years ago (to me at least). I suppose i mean, in my opinion, the amount better Tiger is than the field is partly a function of how bad the field is where as the amount better Jack was more a function of how good jack was

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

In Jacks time golfers were one step above bowlers. Jack was a good natural athlete and came along when TV and Palmer had provided a shot in the arm of the industry.
Tiger entered a mature industry with a focus that had begun as a small child. A sport specific training level golf had never seen, (Yeah Player, whatever), and a plan. Tiger is the greatest golfer of all time and has changed the game into a sport; Jack didn't get that done!
It is incredible to me that this thread has a life of its own because it is inconceivable to me that there is any question to it.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

Its almost impossible to compare the two players. Tiger has more technology available to him which gives him an edge.

I would have to say that Tiger has done far more for the game of golf than Jack. Again though its still hard to compare due to the age we're in. If Jack was playing today with the media coverage and marketing done for players these days he could have also made that type of impact. Though I do feel more young players can relate to Tiger.

Its almost impossible to compare the two players. Tiger has more technology available to him which gives him an edge.

It might be difficult to compare them, but

technology has nothing do with it. Every player uses the same technology as their contemporaries, technology has gotten better and courses have gotten longer for everyone during Tiger's era. As a matter of fact, Tiger still uses old-school tech irons, Tiger's equipment has given him absolutely no edge over Jack when it comes to beating the other players in the field.

I wasn't alive when Jack Nicklaus was playing, so I'm going with Tiger.

Driver Tour Burner 10.5
3 Wood: Dymo 15*
Hybrid: Idea A2
4-pw: Burners
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52, 55, 58Putter: Black Series 1

I never saw Jack in his prime but Tiger is a Monster!
He won the US Open on one leg. What's he going to do next? Hes healthy again and is surely going to produce more miracles

In my bag:
Titleist 910 D3 9.5 Degree
TaylorMade R11 3 Wood 15.5 Degree
Adams A12 19 Degree
Cleveland CG16 Tour Irons 4-PW

Taylormade rac Gap 52 Degree, Cleveland CG15 56 Degree, Cleveland CG14 60 Deg

Odyssey 2-Ball

Sorry, but Tiger is a real athlete who really works at being in shape. Even if the golf talent was equal, Tiger's fitness puts him ahead of Jack. Even so, hard to choose between the two.

ben hogan

Forget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Sumo2 5900 9.5, ProForce V2 stiff
Diablo 3w
Baffler TWS 3h MP57 4-pw VR wedge 52.10, 56.14 TPz 60.06 Studio Style Newport 2 SG5ProV1x

To young to have seen Jack in his day but he always seems like he is a class act. That being said, I have never seen anybody compete/dominate/focus in any sport like Tiger. My vote is for Tiger.

I am not sure the best measure is solely major wins, although it's certainly and indicator. What I find equally impressive is this...

Jack Nicklaus majors: 164 starts, 18 wins, 19 2nd place finishes, 46 top 3 finishes, 57 top 5 & 73 top 10.

If Tiger can match that he'll deserve to be the greatest ever. He probably will and we are fortunate enough to watch it unfold.

Jack was pretty brash when he came on the scene. Not well liked by his peers or the public. After some years he became the genial icon that we've admired for so long. While I haven't watched him lately, in the last several years he was often berating himself on the course. I suppose that's normal for a super competitive personality but my first thought is always: Jack, if you want to play like days of old, you need to focus on golf rather than business.

Enter Tiger. He is a machine. But he's always been professional and a model athlete. Few have his work/workout ethic. Clearly he's determined to stay on top for a long time. He's payed attention to many role models, including Jack.
I gotta go with Tiger for now but only time will tell.

Jack or Tiger?????
definitely two of the best players of all times, I think tiger will be able to bit Jacks records, he still has a lot to go before retirement.
However, I don't think we should compare one with another as they played in different times and different players.....and....I don't want to get into golf technologies available today vs two dacades ago.

Do we really have to choose ?
Tiger most likely wouldn't be the same if Jack's career had been any other way. Growing up, for me when someone mentioned Golf, for me it meant Jack.
Young chaps probably now think Golf=Tiger
Both amazing players.
Now that Tiger has more air-time, I'd give him my vote…