IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

There is pros and cons both ways. The players are better now, but the equipment is better also (despite new groove rule), but the technology is so much greater that the legends of the game have to be so complimented for the way they played at a high level. Tiger will get past his personal slip-up he has had recently and probably pass the Golden Bear and go down as the greatest golfer ever....

When The Golf Channel recently had the opportunity to interview Jack, all they could ask was what Jack thought about Tiger and his bad actions. Why ask those questions? Why not ask about the glory and the good? Why not ask about Tiger on the golf course? Jack was great! He politely avoided the bad stuff and focused on the game of golf, the difference in players, and the excellence of the athlete.

Never saw jack play much as im only 25 but he certainly used the worser technology to gain his feats. But I believe Tiger is one of the greatest athletes of all time, not just golfers

I'm fortunate to have seen both Tiger & Jack in their prime, in Jack's case from my bird's-eye perch atop the 13th leaderboard as a marshal at the 1980 PGA at Oak Hill. Both great players, but electricity Jack created at Oak Hill (shot 66-69 on weekend to win by 7), and the epic '86 Masters... well, that's for Tiger to out-do too, as well as Jack's 18 majors. Tiger just may, but my memories of "JACK IS BACK" thundering through Oak Hill back in '80 will never be trumped.

Tiger still has a way to go to be considered the best, but I think there's no doubt he surpasses Jack. If he hadn't had that break, he'd have come out and won the Masters last week too.

Ben

Well, I'm old enough to have seen them both play. I was just a youngster of about 10 when my neighbor got me started, so I watched Jack, Arnold, and all the gang.
(Yeah, I also watched Richard Petty)
I think today's players have taken it to a higher level. They take fitness and nutrition seriously and have huge technical advantages. So, I think Tiger wins.
But I guess that's comparing apples to oranges, because Tiger has those advantages that Jack did not.

Burner 2.0 Graphite 4-AW
09 Burner 10.5*
08 #3 Burner 15*
09 Burner 3H
09 Burner 4H
TM-110 putter

Vokey 56.11
Titleist NXT 

i never watched jack play since im only 19 but from what i grew up watching, tiger is the man. tiger also has a lotttt of years in his career left to surpass jack's record so when its all said and done i think tiger will be the best in the future

The question shouldn't come down to just Jack or Tiger. It does because we have become fixated on winning the four modern majors. That leaves out dominant golfers who played before that test became the standard, and before some of those tournaments even existed.

A strong case could be made for Bobby Jones. You can look at his record, but this comment from his contemporary Francis Ouimet is telling. I read him saying something like this: “In the late 20s I was still playing creditable golf, and Bobby Jones would give me two holes a side and still beat me. You have no idea how good he was!”

Now there’s more to Jack and Tiger than just their record in the majors, but there’s more to golfers from earlier eras, too.

Had you asked me this question 12 months ago it would have been an obvious answer in my opinion; however, that's no longer the case. Tiger's impact on golf is still epic and hard to overlook.

My vote goes to Tiger. In my opinion he has harder competition and he kills them by a bigger margin. He basically has 20 years left to get Jack's record, so I think it's safe to say barring death.... he'll easily eclipse every record in golf.

Anddddddd, that pretty much sums it all up.

In my bag:
Driver: Launcher Comp 9deg
Fairway Woods: Launcher Steel 15deg & 19deg
Irons: MX-23 (3-PW)
Wedge: Vokey Nickel 54deg Wedge: 60deg Putter: White Hot #2 Center Shaft Ball: Pro V1x

I think both Tiger and Jack are similar in many ways. Both men dominate their competition when playing there best, both seem to rise to the occasion in majors, both hit the ball longer than most of there peers and neither have a weakness in there game. I don't think you can say one or the other is better as they are from different eras. Maybe we will have to wait until Tiger gets to the end of his career and compare his acomplishments to Jack's.

Taylormade R7 460
Taylormade Firesole 3 wood
Cobra Baffler 2 hybrid
Cobra S2 forged 4-pw
Taylomade Rac 52,56,60Oydesee Dual Rossie IIOgio KingpinClic Gear 3.0