IGNORED

Best part of the country (USA) to play golf year round...

Note: This thread is 5513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just wondering what location you guys would recommend for playing golf year round in the continental United States? I'm from Iowa and seriously fed up with the cold weather 6 months out of the year. When I graduate college, I am strongly thinking about moving southeast or out west where I will be able to golf much more often and not have to drive in the snow! Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Driver: 975D 9.5
3 Wood: 975F 14.5
2 Hybrid: 909H 19
Irons: 3-PW VR Split Cavity
Wedges: VR 52/10 & 56/10Putter: White Hot Tour #1Ball: ONE Platinum/Tour

I moved from Michigan to North Carolina and can't complain... We can't play every day in the winter (Dec - Feb), but usually we can get out every week or two. Not to mention from March - November you can play pretty much whenever you want. In the summer it's not as hot and unbearable as Florida, plus we have the Sandhils and Myrtle is pretty close.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

The Los Angeles area. If you live in metropolitan L.A. the temperature rarely gets above 90. For the summer you can play in the city or drive about an hour to Ventura County or Orange County. Tons of great golf our those ways. Winter time, you can still play local or head to Palm Springs (2 hours) or Las Vegas (4.5 hours).

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I'd just love a complete list of good golf year-round cities. I live in Los Angeles, and in two years, when I finish school, I need to apply for work. So far, the list of places I plan to apply to are all in So Cal, Arizona, and Hawaii.

That having been said, I wonder if any place is better than Los Angeles for year-round golf, for the reasons Ben mentioned above.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The LA area might be a little to "busy" for my liking. I'm a country boy and used to smaller cities (100,000 or less). I might try to steer away from such overpopulated areas but that type of weather would be fantastic. I also don't need premiere golf courses to play at. I would be completely satisfied with run of the mill courses to play as long as the weather is golfable pretty much year round.

Ventura County might be ther right place for you then. It's North of L.A. Lot of farm land and open space. As well as beaches and mountains nearby. Ventura is pretty great.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Born and raised in Eastern North Carolina. Weather there is nice most of the year for golf...we certainly played year round. Never encountered too much snow...may get some every other year or so....very brief. You're prone to encounter frost delays in the morning from December through early February. Temps are nice. Wind is more consistent in terms of direction.

Been living in Augusta, Georgia for the past 11 years. What is snow? I've seen it twice since living here. Golf is certainly a year round activity. The grass goes dormant on the courses by December but literally springs to life in full green by Masters Week....some say that is all according to plan by those who wear the Green Jackets!!!!

It does get hot down here but humidity is worse than the heat. Put away the cotton polos and break out the technical fabric shirts/shorts/hats by May and game them through October. I play with some guys who wear shorts year round.

The winds down here are highly unpredictable. It makes golf interesting and bowhunting aggravating. CBS commentators aren't making up the hype when they discuss the wind at holes 12 and 16....it's a major factor.

There are some really top notch courses in the area if you want the highest quality bentgrass greens to play on...Mount Vintage Plantation, Woodside, and Savanah Lakes to mention a few. Threre are a couple of other great tracks with bentgrass greens and more reasonable pricing, too: The River Club, Bartram Trail and Jones Creek. Next we have a great number of super bermuda green courses that are very reasonable and usually in good shape: Cedar Creek, Aiken Golf Club, Midland Valley, Persimmon Hill, Applewood, Pointe South, Goshen Plantation, Rocky Branch (I simply refuse to call it by it's new name, Golf de L ), historical Forest Hills, and my personal favorite-Gordon Lakes Golf Club...27 holes that are maintained wonderfully and has the friendliest staff of any course I've ever seen.....great practice facilities and a super grill that stays busy and serves up the best brats, chicken philly sandwiches and etc. The course gets a lot of play and they maintain the pace very well. It's a heavily walked course, too.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Florida.

Year 'round golf, more course options than you could ever dream, and no state income tax........

.......and most importantly, it's not California!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Born and raised in Eastern North Carolina. Weather there is nice most of the year for golf...we certainly played year round. Never encountered too much snow...may get some every other year or so....very brief. You're prone to encounter frost delays in the morning from December through early February. Temps are nice. Wind is more consistent in terms of direction.

Great info. Really appreciate the time it took to type all that out. Georgia/Florida area is at the top of my list I think. My girlfriend has family from Valdosta, Ga and really liked it down around that area.

Florida.

Only been to Florida once in my life and it was only to Jacksonville but it was very enjoyable. I was actually considering southern Ga or central Fl as possible spots. How would you rate the Gainesville area in terms of golf courses and pricing? Thanks.

Only been to Florida once in my life and it was only to Jacksonville but it was very enjoyable. I was actually considering southern Ga or central Fl as possible spots. How would you rate the Gainesville area in terms of golf courses and pricing? Thanks.

Not even close. Central FL wins hands down. A lot more courses and a much better choice for golf. More importantly, a much larger, more diverse economy with better employment options that you'll want coming out of school.

Did I mention the "no state income tax" thing.......?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

We Golf year round here in Arizona. The summers are a bit hot and have to Golf in the AM and be off the course by 12-1pm. But I prefer that than Florida. I couldn't handle the humidity. But some people love it. I Grew up in San Diego, CA and Golfed year round, but the choices and quality of courses in AZ are better or should I say, more plentiful.
You need to do a few Golf trips around the US. I can only give you suggestions on places that I've lived and know you can Golf year round. Go to Florida, then Arizona, Hawaii, Cali and to any other place to see which spot you like and where you can land the best Job.

If you prefer smaller sized towns, consider the following:

Austin/San Marcos Texas
Bastrop Texas
Marble Falls Texas
Tyler Texas
Kerrville Texas
Bimingham Alabama
Montgomery Alabama
Las Cruces New Mexico

there is a website called "findyourspot.com"
http://www.findyourspot.com/
San Antonio area---I think it's too hot in the summer
Houston area---too humid

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Texas; it has what FL and CA have as far as golf and jobs but with cost of living as cheap as or cheaper than Iowa. It is very hot in the summer but you get used to it (lived here most of my life); I've been to Iowa and it can get hot there too, in Texas it is just every day May-Oct.

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

Arizona! When it gets too hot in Phoenix, do the drive to Prescott, Sedona, or Flaggstaff. If you run out of places to play in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, Glendale, Avondale, Peoria....you get the idea.....then there is always a drive to Tucson or any other city that is closer. The most you would have to drive to play is 2hrs. I've read numerous posts about the 1+hr drive to play, so that would not be something new.

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

Monterey area in California. I've only been there a couple times, but it's awesome. It's not just Pebble Beach and Spyglass; there are tons of courses around for all price ranges. But the biggest thing for me is the climate. It's temperate year round, not humid, and the land is gorgeous. I much prefer golf courses in areas where they look and feel natural, rather than being built with sprinklers in the desert. If my whole family didn't live on the East Coast, I would definitely be aiming to settle down somewhere in NorCal.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

My picture is actually me teeing off on a 500 yard par 4 (about 100 yards elevation drop) at the Pasadera Country Club in Monterey. One of the coolest holes I've ever played, and also one of the nicest courses I've ever played.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

Monterey area in California. I've only been there a couple times, but it's awesome. It's not just Pebble Beach and Spyglass; there are tons of courses around for all price ranges. But the biggest thing for me is the climate. It's temperate year round, not humid, and the land is gorgeous. I much prefer golf courses in areas where they look and feel natural, rather than being built with sprinklers in the desert. If my whole family didn't live on the East Coast, I would definitely be aiming to settle down somewhere in NorCal.

Ok you got me there! Monterey is really pretty cool for golf! It is a bit expensive (but what in Cali isn't?) and they lack a selection of executive/municipal courses. I play Black Horse / Bayonet a LOT!

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

Note: This thread is 5513 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!