IGNORED

Choking down on your clubs

Note: This thread is 5499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

when you guys say choking down, "how far" is considered choking down?

Im 6'2 and on all my clubs i seem to choke down a little bit. is this normal?

im right handed and when i hold my clubs my left hand is about an inch from the butt of the club is this considered choking down? i do this on all my clubs..

Wow. Your clubs must be long if you're choking up at 6'2. I'm 5'8 and I have to choke up. Probably because I've never been fitted . Were you fitted for your clubs?

----------------------------------------------------------------
What's in My Bag?
Driver - R9 460 10.5* UST Proforce V2
F Wood - SQ2 3W 15* UST Proforce V2
Hybrid - Baffler DWS 20* Fujikura SpeederIrons - Pro CB (4-PW) Project X 6.0Wedges - CG14 52* CG12 56* & CG15 DSG 60* Putter - Studio...

i wasnt fitted

but i dont necessarily think that is considered choking down..
i mean i guess that can be considered choking down.. an inch might be a little much.. i would say the outside edge of my left hand is about a half inch from where the grip ends..

i control the club better when my whole hand is on the club

whoa...I totally misunderstood that...LOL ...Sorry about that...choke up, choke down...oh my, I guess you can say baseball season just started...lol

----------------------------------------------------------------
What's in My Bag?
Driver - R9 460 10.5* UST Proforce V2
F Wood - SQ2 3W 15* UST Proforce V2
Hybrid - Baffler DWS 20* Fujikura SpeederIrons - Pro CB (4-PW) Project X 6.0Wedges - CG14 52* CG12 56* & CG15 DSG 60* Putter - Studio...

I guess that would be considered choking down, but if it's what you do, it's what you do. Anthony Kim has all his clubs fitted but he chokes down on all of them because thats how he grew up playing. It's no big deal.

Personally, I only choke down for distance. The palm of my hand is probably 1/4" away from the butt of the club.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

"Choking up" and "Choking down" would be mutually exclusive terms.
I guess it should be "Choking up" or "Gripping down".

Anyway, if you have an inch showing above your left hand (at address), then I would say that you are choking up (A little). I hold my clubs all the way at the end, that is to say that I have the entire end of the handle in my left hand (NOT like a baseball player that has one or two fingers hanging over the end of the handle).

You are tall, so I assume you have big hands/long fingers. The more you "Choke up" or "Grip down" on the club, the smaller the grip gets (as almost all grips are tapered). You can put some "build up tape" under the grip where your right hand goes on the grip, or you can use Golf Prides Players Sofftie grips. These grips have a "straight taper" which gives you more grip in your right hand when you "choke up".

I do the same thing Donnie. I 6,1 and i choke down about 1" on all my clubs. Gives you more control over the ball they say. But i guess you lose distance to, maybe a couple yards not really sure.

But i dont really consider that choking down on your club. Say like you wanna take a full swing w/ ur club, but u want less distance, then you could really choke down grip it low. I'd say that choking down.

i choke up about an inch, inch and a half, it feels good and gives me better control that having my pinkie almost off the end of my club.
Driver: Taylormade R9
fairway wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree
hybrid: titleist 585 17
irons: Taylormade mb tp smoke 3-pw
wedges: Titleist vokey wedgesputter:sc ss newport 2, 34"Bag: ping vantage bag(team bag)

Note: This thread is 5499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!