IGNORED

Wilson STAFF vs Wilson STAFF's reputation

Note: This thread is 3807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

padraig uses the v2 irons wich i currently own. Had pi5's and they were great also. PEOPLE ARE SO CAUGHT UP IN MASS MARKETING BS !!!!!!!!!! THAT THEYRE NOT TRYING CLUBS MADE BY COMPANIES THAT DONT DUMP ALOT OF MONEY IN THE ADVERTISING SIDE. REMEMBER MORE MAJORS THAN ANY OTHER CLUB MANUFACTURER. AND THE SANDWEDGE ARE STILL MIMICKING THE ORIGINAL WILSON DESIGN. GIVE THE V2 IRONS A TRY YOULL LIKE THEM.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by curtis

padraig uses the v2 irons wich i currently own. Had pi5's and they were great also. PEOPLE ARE SO CAUGHT UP IN MASS MARKETING BS !!!!!!!!!! THAT THEYRE NOT TRYING CLUBS MADE BY COMPANIES THAT DONT DUMP ALOT OF MONEY IN THE ADVERTISING SIDE. REMEMBER MORE MAJORS THAN ANY OTHER CLUB MANUFACTURER. AND THE SANDWEDGE ARE STILL MIMICKING THE ORIGINAL WILSON DESIGN. GIVE THE V2 IRONS A TRY YOULL LIKE THEM.

Aside from Padraig, when was the last major they won?

Truth is most of their majors are from a long time ago. Or long enough ago that such a claim about "more majors" is marketing as well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think their marketing towards the number of major wins is saying something else as well. Yes their majority of majors were won a long time ago but most other companies from the era are out of business or bought out by sports/golf store chains. (MacGregor and goldsmith) cobra was also huge and started to falter but puma bailed them out nicely..wilson may have "died" off for the time being like the others but have revived themselves with no help. Love my fg tour (original) irons and trying to get some more of those highly praised from way back when. I compared my 76 blades and the tours. They have the same solid feel and control but like a cavity and blade differ in forgiveness. They somehow have it still going like they used to. people just gotta believe! Hah

I think that those Wilson Staff blades on Ebay from years ago are beautiful.  And the ad campaign over the last year has been brilliant.  They started a little mean with that "loud guy" dude trying to play through and blowing the shot.  But they are hilarious now that that the guy has improved his game and is having success.  And Sreelman does a spit-take: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyIbhwPBL4c&feature;=relmfu

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

$(KGrHqQOKjwE2LgMfPY5BNpM1jncY!~~_35.jpg

I recently bought a set of these on the Bay for a great price (~$350?).  The seller said they are a re-issue of the FG-17 made for a large distributor (Golfsmith?).

These blades are far away the best feeling I have ever hit, and I came from Mac MT Pro-Ms and before that, the VIPs. They are tiny, with a beautifull top line - the 3 iron looks like a butter knife down there - and you have to have a pretty grooved swing, but they feel soooooo solid and buttery at impact.

I have ingnored all the marketing and hype from Mizuno, TM, Callaway, et al, for years now and have been finding great 'under the radar' equipment at great prices, and W/S is an oustanding example of this (although I can't find the FG-62s for less than $800, guess I will just wait until they become closeouts).

dak4n6

• 5 months later...

im a wilson staff fan and always like to add to this particular post when i get a new (or "old") club that im surprisingly satisfied with.

bought a wilson tour forged special I putter (blade 8802 design) for like 40 bucks in great condition. it was my first of this style putter. i love the feel and had some of the better putting rounds ive ever had with this putter in my bag. i decided on a $50 Yes! sophia which i looked high and low for in LEFTY and when i got it it just wasnt the same. the feel was all over the board. too soft, sometimes a "crack" and so on. the ball sucked to the ground and it was better in extended length putts (30+ feet) but in the mid length and in, the putter was tough to use. it was much heavier and balanced different compared to the Tour Special Forged. just always sending them miles past the hole.

I went back to the Tour Special Forged. it just feels natural and has an almost butterfly like fluttery soft feeling when stroked well. and it just got better once i had some loft added to it.

when i sold the Yes! putter i decided id use the store credit for a gap wedge which i desperately needed. i was looking at an old beat up titleist vokey wedge. but then was swayed into a 52* Wilson Staff TW9 wedge for the exact same price (brand new). i originally did not like this wedge when i saw it around online. wasnt a fan of the look and didnt want to over do the spin. these apparently rip at the ball. im glad i bought it. i was looking at an FG Tour Forged wedge to match well with my FG Tour Forged irons because they are attractively shaped. BUT looking down at this wedge is a very attractive wedge shape and look. love the soft satin finish. and the feel is great. even the stock true temper is quite nice for those controlled wedge shots at distance.

only issue is its messed with my wedge set up. Macgregor VIP Forged 54* and 58* wedges with 10* bounce on both. im now considering a 55-56 and a trouble wedge type 64 possibly. but if thats the case ill just get some other TW9s to fit the bill nicely in terms of loft. these are just another club that show wilsons back, and has been for some time

• 3 months later...
Guess I am old enough to remember when Wilson brand name went into the dumper. In 1970. The company was acquired by PepsiCo. Yes, Pepsi Cola. The suits immediately cut costs on everything and quality went south, sadly. Been sold multiple times since then, but that was when they started making poor quality clubs. I have a set of 1975 Wilson Staff blades in the basement, pretty but the lofts were inconsistent from 1-SW. Haven't looked at that brand in years and maybe that is a mistake.

I recently purchased a set of Wilson Staff Fg 59's from Golfio.com (it was their last set).  I was in the market for a set of forged blades and was impressed with the reviews I read on the Wilson Staff Fg 59's and the newer model, the FG 62's.  I bought the 59's because I wanted the smaller clubhead size and I could not be happier - the clubs look great, feel great and hit the ball great.  My previous set of irons (which I still have by the way) are Miura CB-201's which in their own right, are a high quality iron but as far as I am concerned, these Wilson Staff irons are a better irons.  I highly recommend the Wilson Staff line for anybody looking for quality clubs.

• 2 months later...

I use the Wilson DI9 irons a Wilson DXI 5 wood and just bought the DXI Super Lite 10.5 driver and have had great luck with all. I especially like the PW, AW and GW on my irons and haven't hit the driver enough to give a proper review but so far so good.. Just because Wilson makes inexpensive equipment doesn't mean it's not a good product

Loved the Ci9 irons and picked these up a couple weeks ago. Hope they're comparable.

• Upvote 1

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Every company likely has their ups and downs. Wilson I think lost direction for a while, and even worse was out marketed by other companies. Perhaps too many products.  However, so far as their irons FG-62, they are quite solid and play well. I do 'very' much like the Zip and Duo golf balls.

I hope they do start to market more and tell a better story based on a great history and solid product.  I would agree that every golf product they offer is not top notch and perphaps they should trim the line and stay with what works in a better way.

Seriously? The teaching pro that I learned to play golf from back in the 90's had a nice progressive set of blades.  They were pretty looking... And he hit them well.  But I've never played with a Wilson Staff club.  If/when I get a set of blades, I'll definitely consider demoing their clubs.

Love my Ci9s - they have strong lofts, but they work well for me, are crisp and look great. The Ci11s look even nicer

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

• 3 months later...

I play the the fg tour irons for 2 years (started only 4 years ago my first set being deep red 2 distance)

Love them.

Was highly interested in the fg tour wedges. And the 8882 black (I hit righty and putt lefty. This is the only club that interests me of all their putters)

One thing im waiting for is a tour/better player driven driver/wood. I know Wilson is known for their irons but other companies have been able to include solid tour driven drivers and fairways. ping, Callaway, Nike, Cleveland, Bridgestone etc.

Are they capable of this? Anybody hear through the grapevine about them looking for that market as well?

• 4 weeks later...

I recently picked up two WIlson Staff Fybrid RSs for an unbelievable price.  I decided to try the half graphite half steel shaft and unless I hit them absolutely perfectly I may lose 5 yards or so but  I hit them high and they land quite soft, and when I hit the higher lofted 3H right I'm 5-10 yards longer than my previous 3+ Nickent 4DX utility.  They continue to innovate at Wilson Staff and I'm glad that I got the Fybrids.  Still getting used to the shaft but it's going to be a winner for me, I think.

Note: This thread is 3807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!