IGNORED

Plugged Lie and Divot Lie

Note: This thread is 5516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

#1 - Was playing on a day when it had rained earlier in the day and the fairways were soft. When your ball gets plugged pretty good, how do you play your shot?

#2 - When your ball lies in a fairly deep divot on the fairway, what do you do? Just pitch it out of the divot?

#3 - When your ball lies in a ball mark on the green, what do you do? Just putt out of the divot?

« Keith »

1. you can take your ball out and place it in the nearest spot. place it not drop it.
2. i hit it kinda like a punch or low shot making sure i hit down harder on it then usual. set up with your weight forward and lower your forward shoulder. that will set you up to hit down on the ball real good.
3. rules say you can repair your divot mark and replace the ball. spike marks tho, you cannot press it down

1. you can take your ball out and place it in the nearest spot. place it not drop it.

#1 - Really? I thought it was play as it lies.

#3 - What if it is not your divot. Let's say an old dried ball mark, like the ones that aren't really fixable due to it being too dried up.

« Keith »

#1 and 3 - If the ball is under the surface of the ground, it can be picked out and placed. Golf does not want to punish you. No reason to play a fairway shot like it's in the fescue. If the ball is deemed below the surface, it can be pulled out and placed.

#2 - I hit out of divots like I hit regular shots. My thoughts are choke less, give the shaft more length, swing down like a regular shot and just get down and through and it comes out pretty much like a normal shot. Unless you're hitting a 3 iron or something like that, this shot shouldn't be too much trouble. Be steep on it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

#1 - Really? I thought it was play as it lies.

*Copy and pasted from usga rule book web site:

Rule 25-2 Embedded Ball Rule Q. On what part of the course is a player entitled to relief from an embedded ball? A. Under Rule 25-2, a player may only take relief from a ball that is embedded in a closely-mown area through the green. A closely-mown area is any area that is mowed to fairway height or less. However, the Committee may adopt a Local Rule that allows for relief from an embedded ball anywhere through the green. This Local Rule can be found in Appendix I; Part B. 3. a "pitch mark" can be fixed with no penalty. a divot from a full swing anywhere but the green cannot be fixed, because then you are improving your lie which dosn't fly according to the usga

#1 and 3 - If the ball is under the surface of the ground, it can be picked out and placed. Golf does not want to punish you. No reason to play a fairway shot like it's in the fescue. If the ball is deemed below the surface, it can be pulled out and placed.

This is not true.

You get relief from a plugged lie, but you drop it, not place it. 25-2 Embedded ball A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely-mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green. "Closely-mown area" means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Why have you posted this? It is incorrect information.

25-2 Embedded ball A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely-mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green. "Closely-mown area" means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

my bad your right, good eye

No worries, mate.

Note: This thread is 5516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!