IGNORED

What Are You Working On?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Currently working on my hip rotation. After 2 succesful sessions getting used to my simplified set up and backswing with very good ball contact and straight shots i started hitting pushes and tops. I think i have started just straightening my left knee to start the downswing.

Seems like i have been concentrating too much on what was working and let the hips go off, im a good candidate for "Paralysis by Analysis"!.

I have been practicing in the garden using a preset turn so i have less to think about and the swing thought of "belt buckle to target" from Tom Watsons Timeless Swing book. This thought really seems to get my hips turning better and the wright going forward more efficiently.

Fingers crossed if i can get this working right i should be well on my way.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just joined today and can't wait to read other post and comments...I have made a goal of lowering my handicap from 9 to 7 and started taking lessons during the winter months. I am learning how to control the ball better and the short game. Can't wait to see how this web site will influence my growth...Wishing you many fairways this season.

Just practicing 5sk on you tube on my new indoor Mat. Feeling so stronkk now. My coach gonna flip in the grave if he see my new swing and scream to me .. Stop reverse pivot you fool .. Oh me gard I'm scared to go for lessons .. Mainly weight on left , release accumulator fas5 , right rolled in punch shots . Pretty orgasmic , I never able to hit shin bacons , had been making pork chops divots all my life . DOing lots of one hand chips my right hands mainly . I find it helps me a lot in rhythm and pitching

I'm still fairly new to golfing.  But its not like I started from scratch.  I used to shoot in the mid to upper 90's over 20 years ago.  But family, work and other obligations made it too difficult to keep it up.  Now I'm starting over.  I took a lesson a few months ago to get me started in the right direction.  The biggest thing was my drives off the tee.  But switching to a more lofted driver seems to have straightened it out.

I still haven't broke 90 at a par 72 course 6600 yards from the white tees.  There are 3 courses around that length around here.  But I did shoot my best yesterday.  A 91 is now my current best. Now that the driver is no longer the problem I gotta work on other parts of the game.  I 3 putted 4 times yesterday.  That alone woulda got me in the 80's.  I have to work on my lag putting.  All 4 of those 3 putts we a result of a bad lag from over 30 feet.  I also need to get better around the greens.  Better chipping wouldn't put me so far from the cup.

Its still a work in progress, but I'm diligent. I will keep practicing every chance I get.  I also need to cut down on mishits.  I had couple bad ones resulting in triple bogeys.  But thats just a matter of practicing.  Building the muscle memory to hit cleanly every time.  I'm a competitive guy and I will practice, practice and practice some more till I get to where I want to be.

I'm still fairly new to golfing.  But its not like I started from scratch.  I used to shoot in the mid to upper 90's over 20 years ago.  But family, work and other obligations made it too difficult to keep it up.  Now I'm starting over.  I took a lesson a few months ago to get me started in the right direction.  The biggest thing was my drives off the tee.  But switching to a more lofted driver seems to have straightened it out. I still haven't broke 90 at a par 72 course 6600 yards from the white tees.  There are 3 courses around that length around here.  But I did shoot my best yesterday.  A 91 is now my current best. Now that the driver is no longer the problem I gotta work on other parts of the game.  I 3 putted 4 times yesterday.  That alone woulda got me in the 80's.  I have to work on my lag putting.  All 4 of those 3 putts we a result of a bad lag from over 30 feet.  I also need to get better around the greens.  Better chipping wouldn't put me so far from the cup.   Its still a work in progress, but I'm diligent. I will keep practicing every chance I get.  I also need to cut down on mishits.  I had couple bad ones resulting in triple bogeys.  But thats just a matter of practicing.  Building the muscle memory to hit cleanly every time.  I'm a competitive guy and I will practice, practice and practice some more till I get to where I want to be.

I am in basically the same position, except I haven't been able to get on a course since October. I broke 100 right at the end, with my big problem being distance and direction off the tee. At this point my short game is probably the best part of my game. Got a new driver and iron set for Christmas so hoping that will help, along with following the swing threads here and elsewhere. With 3' of snow on the ground here in Connecticut, I probably won't get on a course until March when we go on vacation in Florida.

I am in basically the same position, except I haven't been able to get on a course since October. I broke 100 right at the end, with my big problem being distance and direction off the tee. At this point my short game is probably the best part of my game. Got a new driver and iron set for Christmas so hoping that will help, along with following the swing threads here and elsewhere. With 3' of snow on the ground here in Connecticut, I probably won't get on a course until March when we go on vacation in Florida.

I'm fortunate in this area.  This weekend is warm.  Low 70's and sunny all weekend. Even December and January the weather is playable.  Mornings are cold and foggy.  But afternoons are OK.  Usually in the 50's.  Its only not playable when its raining.  Which hasn't been much this winter.

I love my Callaway FT-IQ 13 degree driver.  Most forgiving driver I've ever had.  Ball doesn't spin much.  Some reviews even complained about not being able to draw or fade it as much as they like.  Which is perfect for me.  I just want it straight.  Now I gotta clean up some other things.  I can pretty much land the green on any chip, but I don't get close enough to one putt very often.  And my lag putting needs work.  I still have to be more consistent on the fairway.  One time I hit the sweet spot, another time I chunk it or top it and it doesn't even go halfway to the green.  Just a matter of practicing and developing the muscle memory along with focusing on the ball.

I'm working on my swing tempo and easy ball striking instead of trying to kill the ball.

Funny how it goes further and where I want it to go more.

Don

Took up golf late in life with a lot to catch up. 

I'm working on my swing tempo and easy ball striking instead of trying to kill the ball.

This - amazing how I always forget... Along with re-learning my distance control with my wedges, remembering not to come over the top and standing a bit more upright. Lots to work on :-)

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I think I need to relax and get back to the basics of swing, because I played the last two days just horrible. I think, tempo and keep my head still are fundamentals. I was really sad, not having fun, so I have to face these kind of situations in the near future. I really admire people who usually play well, I think that my training hours are not giving rewards... Should change my routine and go back to the right side.

One thing that I observed is that guys who hit usually well their drives and woods, have a low hp, so this is the direction I should take. And not try to do the perfect nice swing, like I always tries: I see people with crappy swings, but repeatable, and the ball tends to go not bad, so they had one digit handicap.. This game is driving me crazy. The more I read, and see, the less I know.

:nike:

I think I need to relax and get back to the basics of swing, because I played the last two days just horrible. I think, tempo and keep my head still are fundamentals. I was really sad, not having fun, so I have to face these kind of situations in the near future. I really admire people who usually play well, I think that my training hours are not giving rewards... Should change my routine and go back to the right side.

One thing that I observed is that guys who hit usually well their drives and woods, have a low hp, so this is the direction I should take. And not try to do the perfect nice swing, like I always tries: I see people with crappy swings, but repeatable, and the ball tends to go not bad, so they had one digit handicap.. This game is driving me crazy. The more I read, and see, the less I know.

I'd try to remember why you play the game - for fun! In the immediate future, see if you can find something that you can be good at or feel good at so that you don't get frustrated. The short game area is usually good for this for me (even if I know that I'm kind of tricking myself into thinking I've got a better short game than I actually do) as you'll always have a couple of hole outs that you can think back on. I'd also try heading to the range with 3/4 swings. Start with your PW and, as a 19 hcap, you should be able to get that dialled in relatively quickly. Alternatively, if you go for a round, set yourself some very achievable goals at the start of the day (e.g. 4 fairways hit, 5 GIR, 35 putts). Just try to make it so that you succeed for a bit, then you can get back to the specifics with a better mindset.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I'd try to remember why you play the game - for fun! In the immediate future, see if you can find something that you can be good at or feel good at so that you don't get frustrated. The short game area is usually good for this for me (even if I know that I'm kind of tricking myself into thinking I've got a better short game than I actually do) as you'll always have a couple of hole outs that you can think back on. I'd also try heading to the range with 3/4 swings. Start with your PW and, as a 19 hcap, you should be able to get that dialled in relatively quickly. Alternatively, if you go for a round, set yourself some very achievable goals at the start of the day (e.g. 4 fairways hit, 5 GIR, 35 putts). Just try to make it so that you succeed for a bit, then you can get back to the specifics with a better mindset.

Thanks a lot, your words encourage me a bit. I will keep on practie, start this afternoon. One thing I think is important for me is to swing instead of hit. However, people I see with good great ball striking with the driver, mostly, hit the ball. I think, what happens to me yesterday was that because of the length of the course I played in, I was trying to hit it really far, and this, destroys my rythm. I want so badly to reach your game level (12) !!

Keep the Hard Work.

:nike:

Been working on hitting a draw, got that Good and hammered down, can't seem to hit fade anymore. When I try to I usually pull it and toe the heck out of the ball. Resulting in a myriad of different shots. But am still in my first year and have a lot more to learn.

I got a great deal on a Callaway FT-IQ 13 degree driver.  They've since upgraded, b

You know, it sometimes seems like I hit it better when I swing hard.  I'm not sure why, but when I slow down I might be unintentionally slowing too much which throws everything off.  When you've been swinging at a certain speed for so long, its hard to change it.  Every sport I've ever played I always relied on power rather than finesse.  Thats why golf is so frustrating.  You need both.

I golfed with a couple low handicappers a few weeks ago.  They missed fairways on occasion just like anyone else.  But one thing I noticed that was different from high handicappers like me.  They never mishit the ball.  Me, I hit a good drive.  I'm 150 yards out in the middle of the fairway, pull out my iron and hit it so fat it only goes 40 yards.  So there I am, over 100 yards hitting my 3rd shot.  No guarantee I can hit the green from there.  And of course, I don't.  I chip on the green and 3 putt for a triple.  Those guys either hit the green or don't miss by much and chip on for either a par or no worse than bogey.  One guy shoots a 78 and the other shoots an 80.  And he's disappointed he had a bad round.  Heck, if I shot 80 I'd be framing that scorecard.

I got a great deal on a Callaway FT-IQ 13 degree driver.  They've since upgraded, b

You know, it sometimes seems like I hit it better when I swing hard.  I'm not sure why, but when I slow down I might be unintentionally slowing too much which throws everything off.  When you've been swinging at a certain speed for so long, its hard to change it.  Every sport I've ever played I always relied on power rather than finesse.  Thats why golf is so frustrating.  You need both.

I agree you need both.

By swinging easier what I mean is that I am getting power from my hips, torso, and legs, and trying not to let my arms push it through.

The harder I try to swing, the more I top it or hit it fat. Smooth and easy just seems much more productive at least for me.

Don

Took up golf late in life with a lot to catch up. 

Thanks a lot, your words encourage me a bit. I will keep on practie, start this afternoon. One thing I think is important for me is to swing instead of hit. However, people I see with good great ball striking with the driver, mostly, hit the ball. I think, what happens to me yesterday was that because of the length of the course I played in, I was trying to hit it really far, and this, destroys my rythm. I want so badly to reach your game level (12) !!

Keep the Hard Work.

No worries - we've all been there! I've always felt like I'm hitting to be fair, and whilst I can try to aim for the swing feel, it mucks up some of the lower irons for me.

I changed putter styles back to the traditional form plumbers neck style and ended my extensive foray into nontraditional shaped putter heads. The width of the tradition form seems to assist my alignment judging by my birdie count. I am working on my 200-230 yard accuracy by seeking out iron style clubs that have similiar distance as my current hybrids Which seem to have more left right action by design.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Working on my takeaway to get my swing more reliable and repeatable, this has fixed my problem with shanks and my last three rounds in the previous two weeks have been in the top end of the 70's......looking to get my handicap down this year.

Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!