IGNORED

Tee Height

iacas
Note: This thread is 5820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How high do you tee a ball for your driver (relative to driver resting on ground)?

• Bottom of the ball at the top of the clubface
    • Center of the ball at the top of the clubface
    • Top of the ball at the top of the clubface
    • Center of the ball at the center of the clubface

I tee it up average height; I would say, probably about 1/4 of my ball is above my driver head, if the club is sitting on the ground at address.

I'm also here to agree that the "average, good golfer" hits it much farther than 220. I know most people inflate their driving distance, but I'm here to tell you that, I'm 6', 190 lbs, athletic and a good, but not great golfer: I can assure you, if ANY of my drives only went 220, it was a severe mishit or a pop-up. My dad is 64 yrs old and, while he's in great shape for his age, has a very inefficient swing, usually cuts, sometimes weak fades it. As long as he makes clean contact and doesn't overspin it, he'll knock it out there 200, and I think he's currently running a 20 index or so.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tee it up the center of the ball in the top of my driver. I like my driver ball with a mid/high trayectory. I can hit it betwen 280 and 290.

What is in my Ping bag:
Driver: R7 425 9.5*Fujikura Vistapro 70 stff
3Wood: An old 15* Graphite Stiff.
5Wood: R7 ST 18* Mid point RE-AX 70 Stff
7Wood: Tight lies 21* Graphite StffIrons: An old set of EYE2+ 4-PW Steel StiffWedge: vokey SM 54*10 and 60*08Putter: Studio Style Newport 1.5Balls...

Maybe I'm just speaking for myself here...but whatever, I'll continue. With as deep as many of the faces on drivers are these days, you have to tee the ball really high to make contact with the ball on the sweet spot or even about a quarter inch above the sweet spot (the whole high launch low spin thing) and not feel like you're going to hit the ground in the process

I used to tee the ball up high, center to bottom of the ball at the top of the club face. But with in the last few months I have moved the tee a little bit down. So the top of the ball is inline with the top of the club. And I have had much better control and consistency. Not like I was slicing or hooking the ball before but just lowering the ball helped me control the ball a little better.

A typical drive for me is between 280-300. And lowering the ball had no real effect on the distance.

Driver : SQ Sumo 5000 9.5˚ VS 65 proto
3 Wood : V steel
Irons : MP-32 3-PW
Wedges : R-series 56˚ & 60˚
Putter : Tri-Force 2Ball : Pro V1x

I'm with the majority on this one, teeing it with half the ball above the crown and aiming to sweep it away slightly on the upswing.
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

I recently started to tee it a little higher, so that 75% of the ball was above the driver if I were to ground my driver at address. Looking for more carry distance, but my accuracy has suffered. Not that my driving was ever THAT accurate but I'd get hot every now and then and start striping them...but now they are pretty wild. Longer, but wild.

I think I might lower down to where I feel most comfortable, about half of the ball showing above the driver head, maybe even slightly lower.

Edit: Oh, and here we go again, another thread where everyone hits the ball at least 280....always. Amazing!

• 4 weeks later...
I tee the ball so that the center of the ball is a half inch below the top of the clubface. This makes it is impossible to pop up the ball. And if I swing properly I hit the ball in the center of the clubface instead of above it like some people suggest.

• 1 month later...
I've starting teeing it up around half the ball above top of club, trying to make contact on the start of the upswing as opposed to hitting down on it.

In my BX56:

Driver: 200 Steel 8.5
3 Wood: 200 Steel
Irons: SS Oversized 3-PWWedges: 588rtg 60* Putter: TPi-26Ball: <-----Pro V1x----->

• 1 month later...
I tee the ball with the center of the ball just above the center of the clubface. I really don;t have a reson why besides the fact that it is how I have always done it and can't get used to anything else.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I tee the ball with the center of the ball just above the center of the clubface. I really don't have a reson why besides the fact that it is how I have always done it and can't get used to anything else.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

• 3 weeks later...
My setup is center of the ball to the center of my R7 Quad. However I do not ground my club at setup. The path at follow thru is usually on the up slope by the time impact of the clubface and ball meet. This gives me an average of 270 carry with a 107 mph club speed.

Taylormade Superquad 9.5
Taylormade hybrid 3, 4,5
MP-57 5-P
Cleveland 56 & 60
Scotty Cameron PutterPro V-1

I tee up the ball so that the top of my driver is in line with the bottom of my ball. I regularly drive the ball around or over 300. Its unusual that I drive the ball shorter than that if I hit it pretty well. I am guessing I get 10-15 yards of roll. I tee the ball in the middle of my driver face if I'm trying to keep the ball down in the wind.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

i have the logo of the ball halfway between the top of the clubface and over.

So like on my drive i would have half of my ball touching the clubface and the other(top) half above the club.
I use the logo as a guidline.

In my Warbird Bag,
I have
Burner Driver 460cc 9.5* Stiff
Three and Five Woods
Precise- 21* and 24* hybridsCCi Cast Irons-4-AW 52* and 56*/14 Vokey 60*/8and i play TP Black or ProV1

I tee the ball up high with the driver as I seem to be more accurate. Sometimes I tee it even higher than that and it's a little too high and I'm catching the ball too high on the club face and I lose a little distand. But getting the bottom of the ball to the middle of the clubface is ridiculously low.

3JACK

I tee the ball center above the crown. Reading, again, all these prodigious driving distances brings to mind Frank Thomas who has done many tests on driver distance. Average length is about 185 and almost 100 percent of the the hundreds tested all over the country, at all skill levels, were at least 20 to 30 yards consistently shorter than their stated distances. At my club (sea level) with all skill levels, on one 300 yard par 4, few carry it beyond the 100 yard marker which is all carry, no roll due to the mound loaded fairway and usual breeze in your face. We all tend to dwell on our best hit.

Note: This thread is 5820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!