IGNORED

most overrated clubs/brands? most underrated?

Note: This thread is 4548 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ggolokin

actually when i see a guy with latest titleist woods, hybrids, irons, vokeys, camerons.. i automatically assume they must be good

haha i usually think, "damn I want his job!"

The worst day of golf beats the best day of work!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Nobody really cares enough to "hate" you.

I would hope not.  I'm surprised at how much 'what other people do or have' effects and offends some people on here.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

actually when i see a guy with latest titleist woods, hybrids, irons, vokeys, camerons.. i automatically assume they must be good

To clarify, I don't have the latest and greatest of anything.  I have 7 year old irons and a 4 year old driver.  They are, however, Callaways.

My experience has been that the guys with the 'latest and greatest' are not near the better golfers I play with - just the opposite.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

I just picked the game up again in May after a very long layoff and have been buying many different iron sets cause I find them cheap on ebay.  Now these aren't the current models of TM, Hogan, or Callaway etc. but still back when I gave it up in 99 these sets I have bought were premium sets.  So here are my thoughts:

TM Firesole irons, tour edition and custom series edition, some of the best hitting irons I have ever tried.  Even the long irons are excellent

Ben Hogan forged GCD's tour grind and Hogan Edge forged, GCD's BEST irons bar none I have hit and owned.  The Edges aren't quite as forgiving but when sweeted the ball comes off like butter.

Callaway Big Bertha's, 96, longest hitters of any irons but dead left by a good 20-30 yds, didn't like them due to the thick top line either and the wide soles but hit well left

Founders Club Royal Standards, cb's with graphite firm flex, a players iron.  Very well made but you need to be an advanced ball striker/player to get the most out of them. I like them though cause they were dirt cheap and new in box.

Lynx Black Cat tour grind forged irons, graphite stiff shaft, gorgeous clubs but I can't hit them to save my life.  I know they are highly thought of and collectable but that as far as I go.  Just not for me.

Lynx Master Built, these were about 30 yrs old and MINT.  Reg. flex Lynx steel shaft and wonderful to hit.  I like them and if they weren't so rare I would probably only play these and my GCD's.  But these Master Builts are wonderful

Ping Eye2's don't like them plain and simple and I can't hit them to save my life, everybody else sings there praise's though

For drivers only Titelist for me.  A 907 D2 and a 975 L-FE.  Two best drivers I've ever owned or hit.

Fairway woods old school Orlimar woods with tri metal face and EI 70 shafts in regular flex.

I have two Nickent 3DX hybrids and I can't hit them to save my life.

Ok that's it for me.  thanks

Overrated: A lot of Callaway and Titleist irons...and Scotty putters.

Underrated: Without a doubt, Wilson Staff and Bridgestone irons...and Cleveland drivers.

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

surely you didn't play the FG tour balls, softest ball out there

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Originally Posted by tomvk77

surely you didn't play the FG tour balls, softest ball out there

love em. they even feel somewhat "sticky" when new out of the box in comparison to the prov1.if i wasnt a broke college student id been hitting them all year

If the higher handicapper truly realizes that putting is the first step to lowering one's HC, his money would not be spent on a Cameron. He would be buying putting lessons and a putter that fits him from any brand.  A Cameron will not make someone a better putter. An Odyssey will make putts just the same as a Cameron at a fraction of the price, thus leaving more money for more lessons.

Originally Posted by meenman

possibly the most ridiculous statement in this thread. should only an 8.4 handicap be allowed to play them? If anything you should be proud of a higher handicapper that realizes putting is the first step to lowering one's HC

I guess we live in different worlds - I am one of the very few people that carry one at my club (high or low HC.) What I actually see more of is everyone needing the newest driver every year.

Yes, I see that much more; high handicappers with a $400 driver that I can outdrive with my 4 iron. Many of these same people often have the nerve to say "I'd never spend that much money on a putter" when they see my Cameron as they proceed to pick up after their second putt slides 3-4 feet past the hole.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by shades9323

If the higher handicapper truly realizes that putting is the first step to lowering one's HC, his money would not be spent on a Cameron. He would be buying putting lessons and a putter that fits him from any brand.  A Cameron will not make someone a better putter. An Odyssey will make putts just the same as a Cameron at a fraction of the price, thus leaving more money for more lessons.

im not sure if lessons are truly neccessary but tips here and there would help. My dad had "the yips" and i simply told him to bring the club back slower and allow more weight to control the peak of your stroke...then smoothly come through and to avoid cutting his stroke short after contact. He putts much better now. Sometimes lessons can hurt a player, and make things TOO mechanical. I think golf is just like any sport where you can get away with doing something not acceptable mechanically and get by. (Ex. Jim Furyks swing early on in his career) But im not comparing myself to a pro...but putting isnt hard to mirror what a pro does. I guess it all depends on the players head

Another thing ive only been playing for a year but i feel as if the best way to fine tune a putting stroke is with a particular product. More specifically an old school blade. the first putter i bought after my first year of college was a wilson augusta for 30 bucks.(my father now uses it instead of a mallet "knight III" putter) I know, not the best buy, but i enjoy the feel and the demand it put on my stroke really helped with my stroke path and face angle control. Plus i am right handed but actually preferred to putt left handed and depending on the break of the putt, might switch from one to another. I recently bought a Yes! Carolyne to help with my augustas skid and distance control problem. Two putting has become a norm and an occasional long roll hole-out here and there. So i agree lessons may help. And to be honest scotty camerons seem to be a little bit overrated. They seem clicky and chattery. But buying a new putter wont help. In some cases if a player is more confident with a scotty, they trust it, and make better putts. Like i trust my irons so i hit them much better than say, my driver. Mental is huge

To add to the underrated clubs. Yes! putters. They arent a gimmick. The c-grooves are the only thing (other than maybe the original method putters, XG putters with the textured face) that helps the ball roll true and eliminate that skidding characteristic. I know people love odyssey and that Yes! really isnt THAT underrated. But when more people have odyssey putters vs. Yes! putters, i think that is what makes Yes! putters underrated.

I feel that in this sport and with the advertising, nothing is really overrated... all of the name brands on the top are well advertised and everyone knows them.

There are quite a few brands that can be considered underrated, but I'd rather call them under-advertised more than anything. The basic technology is there for all clubs/balls/etc. it often comes down to marketing and how well the brand is known.

But Overrated.... TaylorMade, Titleist, Callaway (I even own all of them!)

Underrated... Bridgestone Clubs, Cobra, Wilson.

I used to be anti-Bridgestone balls... until I finally decided to hit the B330-S, but that's the only ball I like from them so far.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

Yes, I see that much more; high handicappers with a $400 driver that I can outdrive with my 4 iron. Many of these same people often have the nerve to say "I'd never spend that much money on a putter" when they see my Cameron as they proceed to pick up after their second putt slides 3-4 feet past the hole.

Reasons like this are the reason why i scavenged for an R9 460 for $125 lightly used (9/10) hahahaha so if someone has a really nice set of irons, almost paying the same set for that 4 iron vs my driver. Even trade. plus i dont take the money to get shaft fitted which i recently have decided to give that a shot, for more consistency. I am though, subjected to buying 800 dollar irons though (Wilson staff fg tours) i hit the ball about a club shorter but i enjoy being able to hit it exactly where i want, and when i misshit, i know exactly where i hit and what i did wrong. My cousin said i shouldve never spent the money. But considering i got length and lie fitted, plus a specific shaft fit, (N.S. pro 950gh) i feel its worth the buy. He's recently replaced his walter hagen driver for a nike sumo for $60. I think i may have changed his mind on the equipment side of things. =) i sometimes worry i love this game more for the equipment than the game itself. but you have to admit, the golf equipment part of every company? they have it absolutely right on the dime, making us spend millions every year on something possibly the same as what we had.

Originally Posted by handlez42

To add to the underrated clubs. Yes! putters. They arent a gimmick. The c-grooves are the only thing (other than maybe the original method putters, XG putters with the textured face) that helps the ball roll true and eliminate that skidding characteristic. I know people love odyssey and that Yes! really isnt THAT underrated. But when more people have odyssey putters vs. Yes! putters, i think that is what makes Yes! putters underrated.

A lot of players have won with an Odyssey in the bag. I can only think of a couple who've won with a Yes! Odyssey makes good putters at a reasonable price. I prefer the feel of my old Sportsman original or my T-Line, but I sink more putts with the Odyssey. Maybe it's underrated?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I actually think "gee, this guy must be desperate. He thinks that buying the latest and greatest gear will make him better". Poor bugger.

Originally Posted by mymizunosrock

I actually think "gee, this guy must be desperate. He thinks that buying the latest and greatest gear will make him better". Poor bugger.

The difference between people that own Titleist clubs and those that dont is - people with the Titleist clubs do not judge those that dont.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i guess i should make myself a little clearer...

as soon as i see a full set of premium BLADES in someones bag, i assume their good. it takes a pretty good swing to hit a 3 iron blade.

The difference between people that own Titleist clubs and those that dont is - people with the Titleist clubs do not judge those that dont.

Based on fanboy comments in golf forums, we know that's a load of bullshit. Having said that, the most judgemental fanboys seem to be carrying a bag full of something forged and Japanese. Whatevs.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Based on fanboy comments in golf forums, we know that's a load of bullshit. Having said that, the most judgemental fanboys seem to be carrying a bag full of something forged and Japanese. Whatevs.

The most judgmental people I have seen are the ones on this forum. I have never experienced someone looking down upon anyone for the clubs they play on the course. The only time they notice is when someone pulls out the newest driver and then it is only to ask how they like it.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4548 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!