IGNORED

P90x

neudi
Note: This thread is 5053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see a lot of people mentioning injuries, what type of injuries are you sustaining on P90X? I have the program and reviewed most of it and decided to wait as I want to focus more on gaining strength right now with a resistance program, focusing on heavy compound joint lifting program to add strength and on off days doing high intensity interval training (to me P90x is more of a cutting program, which I plan to do once I am happy with strength level). But I didn't see anything that should be causing injuries, are you guys talking about soreness or actual injuries?

The most common injury with P90X is overtraining of some kind. That includes an injury to the knee, quad, back, shoulder, biceps, etc. You're working out six days a week and each workout is grueling on your joints. People hurt their shoulder on Arms and Shoulders day. People strain their quad on Kenpo day. People have pulled their triceps on Yoga day. Some twist a knee or bust a quad muscle by doing doubles when they're not ready for it.

Basically, if you're in a shape already, you should have no problem surviving P90X. Most people who watch the infomercial and then get inspired to try it however are not in shape and a lot of them end up hurting themselves. You should be fine as long as you a) listen to your body and b) maintain good form for all the exercises. Also people get hurt when they stupidly starve themselves trying to lose extra weight. Their bodies don't get enough fuel for repair and they get injured somehow. You simply gotta be eating food with this program. A good way to know if you're not eating enough is if you find yourself yawning during a workout (assuming you got a good night's sleep the night before- another key in avoiding injury). Let's put it this way, I'm friends with a knee doctor and he told me he sees maybe 4-5 people a month at his practice who show up because they got hurt doing P90X. If you just stay smart about what you're doing, continue to put the right foods in your body, get enough sleep, have comfy shoes, good form, and take extra rest days when you need them- then you'll be fine. If you starve yourself trying to lose extra weight, do additional workouts along with P90X when you're not ready for them, have to many ugly cheat reps, and refuse to take rest days because you don't want to lose any perceived momentum- then you might as well make that doctor's appointment now. Hope that helps! Listen to your body and don't do anything crazy. Getting fit takes a long time and you can only make small advances each day. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was your body so don't rush! You will get there just fine as long as you have patience. And this whole rant is basically meant for people who are out of shape already. If you're in shape, you'll find P90X to be informative, fun and challenging.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

JetFan1983 pretty much sums it up.

I started with P90X after no weight training for 9 years. I did other sports and activities, but nothing consistent.
I started off slow and only did the first 15 minutes each day. Then from there I bumped it up 5 minutes a week. I started slow and bumped it up. If you have too, take a day off between exercises. I did and still do when I'm feeling tired.

J_Bone, how long have you been doing it? Did you notice a positive difference regarding Golf? (Swing, putting, chipping, overall performance?) I am getting going now, and i have to say the soreness in the beginning is tough to practice with. any tips?

909D2 - 10.5º
909 F2 3 wood15º
AP 2 3-PW PX 5.5
52º Black Nickle and 60º oil can Both Spin Milled
reg 588 56º White Ice Rossie Z Star Tour YELLOWSG3

I'm on day 66 right now and love it!
1) I'm using bands. If you have the right bands then you get an awesome workout.
2) I didn't get the recovery drink mix. I just have a protein shake or glass of chocolate milk
3) The program works great. I've mixed it up a bit though (add biking, running, etc). Can't say I've been 100% on the diet but I do eat very healthy.
4) Like I said, I'm on day 66 and went to the range for the first time in 2010 yesterday and hit the ball pretty solid.
5) I got some unflavored protein powder and use it in smoothies and shakes for beakfast.

I've seen some pretty good results. Not going to lie, I'm pretty excited to se my after shots on day 90 compared to day 1!

• 2 months later...
Just finished day 2. Haven't worked out in many years, and pushed myself as much as I could. Had to use a chair for the chin ups, but you just have to go until you can't then bounce around a bit until they start the next exercise. I will try and avoid injury as stated above. I did some research on the recovery drink and the consensus seems to be that a glass of chocolate milk works just fine as it has the proper ratio of protein to carbs.

I think I'm going to do some sort of weekly diary on my website along with my golf stats to see if it improves my game......

I have some very direct questions about this program that have yet to be answered on their website or on this website.

Lots of good answers on here already. I'll add my two cents worth. I finished my first round of P90X about 3 weeks ago. Today at lunch saw a friend who hasn't seen me since before I started. She didn't know I was working out. She took one look at me and said "Oh my God look at you! You look great and so skinny". I gets lots of that lately. Here are my answers to your questions:

1) I used dumbbells and kept it light. I'm 43 years old and wanted to be careful not to get hurt. 2) I bought and use the P90X Recovery formula. I'm not that big so I don't use the full dose recommended. It's a large tub and lasts a long time. It'll make it through my next P90X round I'm sure. That stuff is great. It tastes great and I can honestly say that I think it helped me. I'm not new to working out and I've used lots of supplements over the years. I think this is a good one. It's just a good mixture of what your body needs post workout. Someone mentioned the creatine as being unnecessary. I agree it's not needed but it's a pretty light dose so it's pretty harmless. I've taken full cycles of creatine before and know the difference. 3) This program works very very well if you do the work and have a good diet. Note, I've had other programs work almost as well for me. The last was Body for Life. Note that I work well with regimented work outs and diets so P90X was in my wheel house. 4) IMHO, this workout will help you with golf. Just the fact that you'll have more core strength and flexibility from stretching and Yoga is good for golf. I think it's helped my golf game and my softball swing. I'm killing the ball on the diamond this year. 5) Supplements do just that...supplement. If you have the time and expertise to prepare meals that are well balanced, high in protein, low in fat and sugar, have proper mixtures of calories/fat/protein/sugar for before and after workouts, etc. then by all means, skip all the supplements and just use food. I don't have the time or expertise. I try to eat 5-6 times a day. I don't have the time to prep that much food so I use shakes (EAS Myoplex), bars (Zone Perfect, Cliff, Detour, Balance, Snickers Marathon, ...) and I use the P90X recovery formula (especially after the workouts that involve lifting). I know the OP has already started. I hope it's going well. I noted that several others had either just started or were on their way. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and get good results. I'm taking a few weeks off and then I'm going to start another round (probably buy P90X Plus for a change of pace on some workouts). After that I'm going to try Insanity in the Winter and see how lean I can get!

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

It may have been stated already (didn't read the entire thread), but another great alternative is Insanity. Same concept, put out by the same people, just no weights or straps needed. Many of the same routines and moves are used. Don't let the no weights fool you- it is still incredibly intense and difficult and you will build muscle if you follow the program.

CARBITE Putter

For the people that are interested but don't know for sure if they can do it, the P90x is an advanced workout. If you go to their website, they have several different options. Some of these options are recommended to complete before attempting the P90x program.

With that being said, the P90x allows you to work your way up to the full workout. I would think that the increased responses of people getting hurt are people that don't know how to listen to their bodies (or just choose not to) and try to keep up with the video when they are just not ready for that yet.

I would not hesitate to buy the program and just work at your pace. It will work regardless, just because you are getting exercise. Don't let the 7 day workouts decide between purchasing and not purchasing. Some days are cardio.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I do P 90 X but only for the yoga, cardio, and abs. the other muscles i work at the gym. As far as protien, i drink 2 shakes a day, one in the morning and another after my work-out. It helps with muscle growth. You can drink protien shakes all day long if you want, but you body won't allow but a certain amout, it discards the rest.

Titleist 913 D2 8.5
Titleist 913 3 wood 13.5

Titleist 910 17* hybrid
Titleist 714 AP2's   3-GW

Titleist Vokey 54& 58 
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar  Pro V1

GO GATORS!!!!

1) I used dumbbells
2) Didn't use the P90x recovery drinks, just had my protein shakes
3) This program works real well if you stick to it and eat correctly
4) It can help, although after not playing for a while and only doing p90, it took me a while to get my swing back to where I wanted it. The yoga workout is important for golfers IMO.
5) I used both, with creatine you must drink lots of water and alternate using the creatine every other month

im 32.. 5´ft 9 and before starting the program i was 190 lbs...out of shape..beer gut. after hearing good things about p90x...i decided to try it.... i struggled walking 18 holes.. and i was embarassed by older guys who were in much better shape...

im now on day 17 ( although i have really done 22 days.... because i restarted the program after doing the wrong videos on the first week).

i changed my diet.... i cut sodas-beer out my diet...eliminate fast food or bad food.... drink only water all day long.... followed the diet plan as close as possible....

1. I use dumbells... started with 5lbs week one..... 10 lbs week 2 and now 15lbs on week 3 (im thinking of getting bands in case i travel)
2. i am only drinking chocolate with milk after the workouts
3. In 2 weeks i dropped 11 lbs... weighing 179 lbs right now.. i feel soo much better.... more motivated... no problems walking 18 anymore.. more energy.. etc
4. i think so... because one of my biggest weakness was my legs and core... and have worked on this soo much now... feel more balanced..
5. so far i havent'''' but im thinking of buying a protein supplement...

i substitue the pull up bar with dumbells....

I've gone through 1-2 months of the program, but keep in mind it takes a big chunk of time out of your day. Even if you do it when you wake up, you will need to "wake up" after waking up, do the workout, shower/change, eat, then go to work/school/both. Easily 2-2.5 hours for a workout totally. My best advice is to just do as much as you can when you can.

"Do you're best and forget the rest" ;)

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

I do P 90 X but only for the yoga, cardio, and abs. the other muscles i work at the gym. As far as protien, i drink 2 shakes a day, one in the morning and another after my work-out. It helps with muscle growth. You can drink protien shakes all day long if you want, but you body won't allow but a certain amout, it discards the rest.

You should get 1-1.5g per pound of LEAN body mass to retain and grow muscle. Most of this should come from food with the shakes (supplements) to supplement what is left to get your daily totals. When I was on my last routine, I was getting 250g per day and I am 180lbs.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 5053 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!