IGNORED

Looking into a Golf Membership - Have Some Questions

sioutdoors
Note:Β This thread is 5532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Additionally, you can play five or six holes and if the weather turns sour or you want to go home, you can.

This has been one of the best things about membership for me - incomplete rounds with no "meter running" in my head. If it's going to get dark and I can't get around in a cart before they're supposed to be in then I just walk 1&2 or 1-4 depending on the amount of light.

In the bag:
905R 9.5Β° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5Β° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19Β° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51Β° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on the same green. Let me know when you figure this one out. I was going to get a membership this year but fortunately decided against it. I have played good amount of rounds this year, but not enough to justify the membership fee. The family/work/golf balance gets difficult when kids are added to the mix. Good luck with your decision.

Join the club. I have a 4, 2, and 1 year-old and considering our subdivision has a VERY nice clubhouse, pool, and tennis courts that we pay an association fee for, even bringing up the idea of joining a club so I can golf there would be suicide, LOL

Hell, I play in a league one night a week and maybe 1 or 2 times on the weekend each month and my wife gives me hell for that!

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I'm on the same green. Let me know when you figure this one out. I was going to get a membership this year but fortunately decided against it. I have played good amount of rounds this year, but not enough to justify the membership fee. The family/work/golf balance gets difficult when kids are added to the mix. Good luck with your decision.

The first step is to get the better's half support (that's more than half of the battle). Next, need to block out all higher priority activities (games, practices, events, and "family time"), and never allow golf to trump these activities. Then, with what's left, figure out if there's enough time to support the golf investment. Lastly, involve the kids so as to maximize the bonding time whenever possible. I'd plan to take a couple of them with me to the practice facility weekly to keep them into the game, and to share some laughs and memories.

This has been one of the best things about membership for me - incomplete rounds with no "meter running" in my head. If it's going to get dark and I can't get around in a cart before they're supposed to be in then I just walk 1&2 or 1-4 depending on the amount of light.

I agree, and those partial rounds would probably add up quickly. BTW - your home course looks nice, and it's a lot cheaper than the course I'm considering

Join the club. I have a 4, 2, and 1 year-old and considering our subdivision has a VERY nice clubhouse, pool, and tennis courts that we pay an association fee for, even bringing up the idea of joining a club so I can golf there would be suicide, LOL

My kids are 11, 9, 5, and 2. Between sports, school events, homework, chores, and "family time", there's not a lot of free time left. I feel like Houdini breaking out of a strait jacket when it comes to finding "extra magic time" for golf.

Junior membership at my club - Β£125 ($205) and it's a great course. In the summer it's Β£40 for a round so for the number of times i play per week, it covers itself in just over a week.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5Β°, Proforce V2 HL S |Β PINGΒ G5, 15Β°, 18Β°, Aldila NV 75 S | PINGΒ G5, 19Β°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I've been contemplating joining a country club less than 2 miles from house for the last year or so. I didn't golf for a few years and a co-worker got me back into playing regularly after playing scramble last year. This year, in particular, I've really been working on my game. I've even got my girlfriend into playing and I'm surprised how much she likes it.

Anyways, I've been playing 18 Saturday, sometimes 18 on Sunday and 9 at least twice during the week with a range trip here and there. The problem is I'm starting to hate the public courses during the week. Saturday and sunday aren't bad because we're the first group out and they've had that tee time locked up for years now. The guys I play with on the weekend are 20 years older than me (at a minimum) and live an hour or so away, so playing with them isn't really an option.

During the week though, I go by myself. None of my friends golf. Well, none of them are the least bit serious about working on their game like me. I keep getting stuck behind random hackers that just like riding in the carts and drinking beer I think. The course is pretty cheap to play, so that may have something to do with it. But, it's getting annoying to have to play through 2 groups on nine holes even when I'm practicing chipping and putting on every hole AND I'm walking. Yesterday took the cake when this foursome was on the first tee and the first guy hit 3 balls in the woods so I walked to the second tee to play #2 twice. Well, these 3 high school kids with there shirts off talking on the phone were just as bad as the first group so (instead of teeing off right at them), I went and got my money back and went to the range instead.

I guess my question is for people who belong to clubs. Are clubs that much better than public courses? Or will I be running into the same drama? I figure at a club I will at least meet some other people to play with during the week that are interested in their game. While the club is more expensive it's not that much more if I play at the frequency I have been and any piece of mind that comes with it I would gladly pay for.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

I've been contemplating joining a country club less than 2 miles from house for the last year or so. I didn't golf for a few years and a co-worker got me back into playing regularly after playing scramble last year. This year, in particular, I've really been working on my game. I've even got my girlfriend into playing and I'm surprised how much she likes it.

I would say its worth it. But thats strictly from the outside looking in. I've played a few country clubs as a guest and I just have to say thats its a pretty amazing experience. You get what you pay for.

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

I'm making it a point to inquire about a club membership once I graduate and find a full-time job next year (at least that's the plan). Quite frankly, I'm shocked at the deals that are out there for people my age at some of the clubs in my area.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5Β° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17Β° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20Β° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60Β° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I'm making it a point to inquire about a club membership once I graduate and find a full-time job next year (at least that's the plan). Quite frankly, I'm shocked at the deals that are out there for people my age at some of the clubs in my area.

What kind of deals are you able to find? I graduate in 2 years but i'm probably doing law school so I think i might miss on these great deals that are being offered in this down economy :(

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

I'm at $825 for single/year to walk..here's where it got sweet for me..I added my girlfriend for another $125 and that's unlimited...cart for the year for a couple is $575...but here in northern Indiana we're probably doing well to golf 7 months out of the year. This is a public course with a 175yd practice range BYOB(alls!) putting green and a separate chipping green w/bunker. No minimum food/drink but the food is good, grill style. And nice people. Course is decent. Good fairways and greens (which is what's important to me) but the other areas could use some work..but overall I think it's a great deal. I know I paid in advance...but, it feels pretty good to play a round with my buds...then have my girlfriend come down and play...ride for 27-36 holes and not have to go to the hip even once.

What kind of deals are you able to find? I graduate in 2 years but i'm probably doing law school so I think i might miss on these great deals that are being offered in this down economy :(

Specifically? Berkeley Hills Country Club, about 20 miles from where I live. Their greens are so good that Stewart Cink has made it his home course, and

junior membership rates are almost too good to believe.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5Β° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17Β° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20Β° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60Β° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Does anyone know what exactly "assessment fees" are? The club I'm looking to join has $100 per quarter assessment fees. Which, in actuality, makes the quartley dues higher. I mean the fees are only $350 per quarter so that assesment makes it $450, which in that range is quite a jump in dues. I'm sure it varies at different clubs, but that's kind of sneaky slipping it in like that. Is it something that drops off after a year after they assess you? Sorry if that's a newbie question.

• Administrator
Does anyone know what exactly "assessment fees" are? The club I'm looking to join has $100 per quarter assessment fees. Which, in actuality, makes the quartley dues higher. I mean the fees are only $350 per quarter so that assesment makes it $450, which in that range is quite a jump in dues. I'm sure it varies at different clubs, but that's kind of sneaky slipping it in like that. Is it something that drops off after a year after they assess you? Sorry if that's a newbie question.

Depends. Assessments are typically to pay for special projects, like a new driving range, a new pool, new lockers, renovated tees, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note:Β This thread is 5532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!