IGNORED

Will Michelle Wie make it to Wing Foot?

Smoked-the-3wood
Note: This thread is 6540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

it's only "negative" if you read Erik's posts

RAf, I can't dissagree more. She is not good for the game. Right now she is a novelty show that sells tickets. As for a role model, she is encouraging young people to skip thier own level to chase an unatainable (for most of them) goal. She is like the high school or middle school kid who sees Lebron and thinks I don't need good grades, i can go straight to the NBA.

She is really dissing the LPGA. By constantly seeking to play the PGA she is telling the women that they are not good enough for her. She would be more effective if she actually won something. She doesn't know how. If she makes it through qualifying and makes the US OPEN, more power too her, that is the legit way to do it. I don't think she has a snowball's chance.

In The Bag:
R7 425 10.5 Fujikara ReAx stiff
3,5 Wood Aldila NV 75s
Rescue Dual 16 deg 3i hyb
R7 XD steel/stiff 52deg and 56deg TP White Hot XG 2 ballHome Course: River Crossing

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RAf, I can't dissagree more. She is not good for the game. Right now she is a novelty show that sells tickets. As for a role model, she is encouraging young people to skip thier own level to chase an unatainable (for most of them) goal. She is like the high school or middle school kid who sees Lebron and thinks I don't need good grades, i can go straight to the NBA.

What's wrong with that? This kind of comment always pisses me off (nothing personal satch, you're not alone

). You sound like my grandfather telling me "only hard work will be rewarded, do everything by the book, don't break any rules.." well tough s..t - world doesn't work like that. If you have a talent, explore it. Grab all you can right now, however you can, because you don't know what happens tomorrow - what if she (or Lebaron, etc) has career ending injury tomorrow ?!?!? How many times you hear about a huge college football talent, who decided to "stay one more year, finish education, help the school".. just to blow his knee (or similar) and never make it to the NFL. All you got is a feel-good story and people like you saying "he did the right thing". B.S. Life is too short to do "the right thing". I'm 40 years old and I pissed away few of my chances by "doing the right thing". It's too late for me, but I LOVE to see any other kids with talent and dreams actually go through with it. We (the fans) created this environment by giving enough audience to the sponsor's advertisments. Don't blame the kids for it - blame us. The professional sport is about money if you like it or not, what's wrong with somebody maximizing their income potential ? By "crossing the gender barrier" she's not trying to beat the man, she's raising her market value, because everybody is talking about her and name association translates into big $$$$. About "dissing" LPGA - tell me - who gets more money for advertisments - Anika (who DOMINATED the tour for few years) or Michelle (who is 16yrs old and plays against man)? I rest my case.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
It is a ridiculous argument to say women shouldn't be allowed to play with the men if men can't play with the women. Come on! Women shouldn't play with the men because they aren't good enough, period.

You've said a lot of things I disagree with, but this is one of the worst. Currently, Michelle Wie is attempting to

qualify for the U.S. Open. If she should make it - and I don't think she will - then she'll have proven she's "good enough." As I pointed out, your argument makes no sense. Phil Mickelson was "good enough" to win a PGA Tour event as an amateur. By your logic, that means all amateurs should be allowed to play PGA Tour events AND that all PGA Tour pros should be allowed to play amateur events.
Michelle Wie IS NOT good enough.

That's not the point, now, is it? And try as you might, it may never be the point.

She beat a lot of male golfers even if she missed the cut. Do those golfers belong on the PGA Tour?
She has never shown she can play in a PGA golf tournament

Disagree...

and contend to win.

Obviously agree.

She is out there to hype the media and try and make a cut, and in the meantime she is taking away spots from men who can compete and do deserve a chance.

Like all those men she beats in the PGA Tour events in which she competes?

The whole "she's taking a spot away" is complete bullshit, too. She's given a sponsor's exemption. She's not taking a spot away from anyone. Nobody "qualifies" for a sponsor's exemption - they're favors, and a few are almost always given to some local schlub to increase attendance. They almost never make the cut.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Also, I can't believe you didn't comment on that picture Rafi. I got a little hot under the collar when I saw it. It is kinda risky if you focus on it. Yeah, I know, she is only 16! I shouldn't even be focusing.

Cody, I'm also embarassed to admit, but I've a whole sequence of her pictures, that I'm using as my screen saver. This one was already on it.... I'm very familiar with the focus feature too

( call me sick perv, but a nice camel toe... is a nice camel toe )

ok raffy(if that is an acceptable nickname to your nickname), you are one sick puppy....

In The Bag:
3,5 Wood Aldila NV 75s
R7 XD steel/stiff 52deg and 56deg TP White Hot XG 2 ballHome Course: River Crossing

What's wrong with that? This kind of comment always pisses me off (nothing personal satch, you're not alone

You are making two different arguments here. Your original post said she was good for the game and a perfect role model. Your rebuttal to my refutation of your original argument is she should go for everything she can today, carpe diem. Which is it? I do aggree with your second post. She should get as much as she can market herself for and laugh all the way to the bank. If some marketing wiz in some rich corporation want to throw a hundred million at her, hooray!! That is not, however, a good role model for teens nor is it good for the LPGA. 10 years from now who will get more in endorsements, Annika with more majors that carter has liver pills, or Michelle who has ZERO victories (based on current rate of victories/starts on every tour in the world). I happen to like the LPGA. My girlfriend is just starting to play and we watch the women together. Think how much more money would flow into the LPGA if Wie played regularly. She has undeniable and unique talent and is a major draw. She skipped the LPGA Kingsmill (the proverbial "5th Major") to play in some third rate Korean tour event in a quixotic attempt to make the cut in a men's event. Besides, if she played more LPGA events, you could see her on TV more often. BTW, you are the first person to tell me I sound like thier grandfather. I am only 42.

In The Bag:
3,5 Wood Aldila NV 75s

You've said a lot of things I disagree with, but this is one of the worst. Currently, Michelle Wie is attempting to

I think I said that. So you argue with me then paraphrase what I said?

If she qualifies for the open, which she won't, then she will deserve, for the first time, to compete in a men's tournament.

As I pointed out, your argument makes no sense. Phil Mickelson was "good enough" to win a PGA Tour event as an amateur. By your logic, that means all amateurs should be allowed to play PGA Tour events AND that all PGA Tour pros should be allowed to play amateur events.

I don't remember saying anything about amateurs and professionals. You are way off base looking to find an argument. Professionals and Amateurs are a whole different thing I don't really believe I have an opinion nor is this an argument on pros and ams. Amateurs play for Gift Certificates and trophies Pros play for money. Amateurs that are good enough to play with the pros don't stay amateurs very damn long. Last time I checked Michelle Wie is a pro right so whats your point. Women as a whole can't compete with men THAT IS MY POINT do not try to put words in my mouth or skew what I am saying. If Michelle Wie

qualifies for a tournament, or the PGA Tour for that matter, then I have no problem with her playing out there.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I have no problem with her making it in a men's tournament by qualifying like the rest of us...but the fact that she is getting in with sponsors exemptions is pissing me off...

1)Has she won a women's tournament - NO
2)Has she made the cut in a men's tournament where you know more than 1 of the guys playing in it - NO
3)Has she done anything to impress me during her career as a pro so far - no other than the 2nd at the major.

The point is...if she hasn't won a tournament on her own tour...then why and how does she expect to win one on the men's tour. You say that her goal is to just make the cut right? but who plays golf to make the cut? you play golf professionally to win not to make a cut. My opinion...you may disagree with it or agree...either way i like my idea :)
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

you play golf professionally to win not to make a cut

Eh, most pros are playing to earn a living and dream of winning. Most of those guys, week in and week out, are playing to make cuts so they can get paid and keep their cards. So I think playing to make the weekend is a respectable goal for Wie.

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

As much as Michelle Wie pisses me off I have to agree with Rafi. If you can make 10 million then you make 10 million. Why on gods green earth wouldn't you. She is good for golf, just like Tiger was. She grows the game and gets young people interested in our game. As far as being a role model, lets see she worked hard, developed a talent, took that talent and made more money than any woman before her. What is not to envy about that? She seems to be grounded for the most part. Not too bright but grounded.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

You are making two different arguments here. Your original post said she was good for the game and a perfect role model. Your rebuttal to my refutation of your original argument is she should go for everything she can today, carpe diem. Which is it?

I don't see a difference. I think we should cut the b.s. in raising our kids to "do the right thing". The older I'm getting the more I see it - if you're "nice" and "proper" - you'll end up screwed in 9 out of 10 times. Life is too short.

I do aggree with your second post. She should get as much as she can market herself for and laugh all the way to the bank. If some marketing wiz in some rich corporation want to throw a hundred million at her, hooray!! That is not, however, a good role model for teens nor is it good for the LPGA.

Who cares for LPGA? It's like saying, that if you're catholic you HAVE to go church on sunday... C'mon. LPGA Is a business, created to make money. Why would anybody limit their personal income to make some organization richer?

10 years from now who will get more in endorsements, Annika with more majors that carter has liver pills, or Michelle who has ZERO victories (based on current rate of victories/starts on every tour in the world).

My point exactly - in 10 years she might be worthless, so make the headlines and controversies now to maximize your value NOW

Think how much more money would flow into the LPGA if Wie played regularly. She has undeniable and unique talent and is a major draw.

Again - it's a noble thing to support LPGA... but why! Let's talk analogy:

If you find another job for 2x what you making now - would you really stay at your current place? C'mon, your company really benefits from your work, you've great talent and THEY make a lot of money while you're working for them. Most likely you'd leave current work and then read on a message board what a sell out you are by not supporting your original employer
She skipped the LPGA Kingsmill (the proverbial "5th Major") to play in

Did you hear about the advertisment contract she signed up during this tournament? Some local product, don't recall the details. What I do recall it was more money, than you and me combined make in lifetime

Besides, if she played more LPGA events, you could see her on TV more often.

ok, now you got me - I've no defense for this one

• 2 weeks later...

uh oh... -1 after 14 in the morning round. This could be a tight one.
What really seems to be a problem is her putter (from golf channel play-by-play):
"#2 : 10 ft left of flag. Pin high... Misses on the low side, taps in for par...."
"#3 : tee shot 4 feet short of flag, misses birdie putt right, too much speed"
"#9 : 25 feet long and right. Just misses birdie putt..."
"#10: tee shot 10 feet short of hole. Just misses putt on the left side"
"#11: Eight foot birdie putt misses left.."
"#13: 15 ft left of hole, nice shot. Left to right putt, uphill, just misses on right side"

Geez, if she made half of it ... it could've been almost as good as over

Yeah, it's not looking good for her. Her ball striking has been far superior to her playing partners, but her putting has been just a little off. I guess some guy shot a 31 on the front side earlier, so the heat is definitely on.

Yeah, it's not looking good for her. Her ball striking has been far superior to her playing partners, but her putting has been just a little off. I guess some guy shot a 31 on the front side earlier, so the heat is definitely on.

talking about her ball striking:

"Hole 15 -- Par 4, tee shot goes right and barely stays in fairway. Wie asks for relief from casual water but is denied. Using fairway wood, she hits a rocket onto the green, fantastic shot from a plugged lie 30 ft short of hole. Misses birdie putt left, taps in for par. Still 1 under. " Some rule official prick obviously is not too crazy about her making it

...the heat is definitely on.

if you look at the leaderboard - 4 out of top 6 are from the North course. She's playing South right now... Maybe she can turn it on during the second round...

-2 through her first 18! North course this afternoon will be 400 yards longer than the morning course. It's going to be interesting. I think top 18 out of 153 make it to the US Open.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

you are correct, 18 it is. Right now she's tied for 11th, with leaders at 5 under...
from ESPN website:
"Wie is competing against 152 men for 18 spots available in the Open, which will be played at Winged Foot in Mamaroneck, N.Y., in two weeks. Each player will play 36 holes on Monday.In the event of a tie for the final spot or spots, a sudden-death playoff will determine who qualifies for Winged Foot. Wie's current position would put her in a playoff.
The cutoff for making the U.S. Open last year at the Canoe Brook qualifier was 3-under 139. Two years ago, the 22nd and final spot went to Scott Hend at 140."

Note: This thread is 6540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!