IGNORED

Course Legalities

Note: This thread is 6656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a newby here, so I hope I find some answers and helpful tips. I have a few burning questions - as the one below...

"Does anyone know of a basic written document on how courses are to be setup and maintained for standard play - such as a minimum number of feet/yards a cup can be placed from a bunker, or edge of green?"

Recently one course I play is often putting the cup unbelievably close to the edge of the green. As there any PGA rulings anyone knows of?

Thanks for any ideas.

• Administrator
I am a newby here, so I hope I find some answers and helpful tips. I have a few burning questions - as the one below...

I think it's only a general guideline, and to that end, more of a PGA Tour guideline than a general golf guideline.

Most courses would field a lot of complaints, so it seems to me that it's almost a self-moderating policy... If you're hitting the middles of the greens, does it matter much where the pins are?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In the rulebook it RECOMMENDS that the pins are about 3 steps on from any direction of the green...if they are like 3 feet on the green talk to the club and see what is goign on...the greenskeeper's wife might have not given him any the night before and he is taking it out on that lol
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I played a hole at some dog track today and the pin was literally 1 pace off the back right edge. Kinda stupid.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

The course I speak of does it on a regular basis, plus the course is getting a negative reputation for very slow play, since there are many NEW golfers, as well as some in the eighties and nineties (age not score). In addition, they place the pins in the toughest locations more often than not, so there's a lot of green tie up with chipping and putting and putting and putting, and often more putting.

Anyway - thanks for some helpful info. Many are complaining, but management says "it is what it is" or "take lessons". Not a customer friendly bunch I'm afraid.

I've noticed its hard to find customer friendly management at golf courses. If I had the money to buy a course and taylor it to 20-40yr olds I'd be rich. Seems like young people get the shaft when it comes to customer service.
My Bag
Driver: Dunlop Invicta 10.5˚ (Graphite Shaft)
3&5 wood: Lancer Oversize (Graphite)
Irons: Titleist 990 (Steel)
Wedge: Ram FX 57˚(Graphite)Putter: Ram Accubar AB-2Ball: Nike Juice

I've noticed its hard to find customer friendly management at golf courses. If I had the money to buy a course and taylor it to 20-40yr olds I'd be rich. Seems like young people get the shaft when it comes to customer service.

I think it's like in every business - if the salesperson / manager don't care - nothing you can do about it, except for going somewhere else to shop

Not many clubs are as lucky as mine - our staff is very responsive and they do care

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I cut cups at a country club, and we use a flag stick from the collar as a guide line for distance. I think its about a flag stick and a half, but we push the limit because ball marks, and old cups populate most of the other areas we can cut cups. So next time the cup position doesn't fit your likings, check to see if it is atleast a flag stick, if it a flag stick away you are just S.O.L.
IN THE BAG:
Driver: 905 T 10.5° Proforce V2 75 (Stiff)
3 & 5wood: Burner Bubble
Irons: 735.cm Stainless 3-pw
Wedges: 900 Gunmetal 52° & 58° low bounce Putter: Circa #3 CM

• 1 month later...

I remember there was a course here that was shutting down and I decided to play it one last time. Wow, that was the most miserable experience, the green's keeper decided to be evil and play the cup on every severe angle on all the greens and cut it extremely short. So it meant that if you ever found yourself above the hole, then you can expect to be 15ft or so below the hole if you didn't make it. If you were below the hole, then if you didn't make it, expect the ball to possibly come back down to where you started. Then again, what are you gonna do....complain

Driver: Dual Point 9*
Woods: Dual Point 3-wood, T-40 5-wood
Irons: r7 TP's
Wedges: RAC TP Black 52/56/60
Putter: White Steel

Note: This thread is 6656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!