IGNORED

Look at the Shaft Flex on an 85-yard 7-Iron

iacas
Note: This thread is 5390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Unless this is one of those new Aldia Proto Wet Noodle shafts this is merely an anomoly created from shooting at a low framerate. Its the same effect as when you shoot a car moving by at fast rate, on video the blurred car looks like its stretched out longer while moving. The same affect is in place here.

Have you tried it with different tempos or golfers?

I am not referencing the first post, just the ones on the latter page.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, these aren't blurred images. You're confusing shutter speed with framerate. You might get a new frame every 1/60th of a second, but the image might have been captured with a shutter speed of, say, 1/1000th of a second.

Sorry for the confusion, but yes shutter speed. High speed camera have very high shutter speeds as well, since they are meant to capture action.

The typical home video camera has a shutter speed of 1/60th a second, which isn't very fast. Also, motion blur is apparent on the shaft of the club, but the rest of the image is fairly clear. I am pretty sure if you were to crank up the shutter speed higher it would look much straighter. What was the shutter speed the images were taken at?

• Administrator

So, here's the deal. I've done some more research on this and I was wrong.

It turns out that the camera does read top to bottom. It doesn't employ a slit shutter or a shutter of any kind, but it activates the rows of the CMOS sensor (as opposed to a CCD sensor) in one direction. This can cause the same exact type of "scan" or "jello" (or other names) effects as a rolling (slit) shutter.

I started this thread, so I'll end it. Sorry - those who said "this can't be right" had the right instincts. Though I was wrong, I don't think it was wrong of me to throw my own "instincts" out the window in absence of (until I found them, that is!) evidence, data, or proof to the contrary.

This isn't the first time I've been wrong, and it damn sure ain't gonna be the last time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!